Summer Bay fires/explosions looking real

jaybok1

Wondering if anyone knows the reason why fires and explosions look so fake lately (in the last 5 years). They used to look Epic and very real and it would enhance the realism of the story for example - The stalker and sally warehouse explosion 2005, Martha & jacks 2006 Wedding, the Rocket club fire 2007, and the Formal Car Crash and explosion at the end of 2008. Now It looks very un realistic and fake like really bad CGI for example - the music festival bush fires, john lighting fires and the flashback to his childhood, the cabin in the woods fire with Kat and co, Ash burning down Robbo and Kats New Runaway home, and the worst was the caravan park explosion. had the caravan park explosion looked real, I think the story would have been more popular. for god sake even the caravan setting fire in the pilot was better than that. It's odd to me that you'd think 10 years later the technology would have advanced but it doesn't even compare to what was done years earlier in the show. Is there any reason for this? (I did think the 2016 plane crash was well done though) 

1 hour ago, jaybok1 said:

Wondering if anyone knows the reason why fires and explosions look so fake lately (in the last 5 years). They used to look Epic and very real and it would enhance the realism of the story for example - The stalker and sally warehouse explosion 2005, Martha & jacks 2006 Wedding, the Rocket club fire 2007, and the Formal Car Crash and explosion at the end of 2008. Now It looks very un realistic and fake like really bad CGI for example - the music festival bush fires, john lighting fires and the flashback to his childhood, the cabin in the woods fire with Kat and co, Ash burning down Robbo and Kats New Runaway home, and the worst was the caravan park explosion. had the caravan park explosion looked real, I think the story would have been more popular. for god sake even the caravan setting fire in the pilot was better than that. It's odd to me that you'd think 10 years later the technology would have advanced but it doesn't even compare to what was done years earlier in the show. Is there any reason for this? (I did think the 2016 plane crash was well done though) 

You've answered your own question really - they used to use SFX (practical effects - i.e. real fire), but now they largely use VFX (CGI) for the big stuff.

It's much cheaper and less of a logistical nightmare to use CGI, but it rarely looks as good (unless you have huge budgets, which H&A don't).

• Dan F changed the title to Summer Bay fires/explosions looking real
  • 4 months later...

Archived