Are there too many 20/early 30 somethings now?

adam436

I actually quite prefer it. But I’m in my late 20s.... so Does this mean I relate more I don’t know?

I imagine some research has probably been done on the demographics of the audience. Kids in school don’t run home to watch home and away and neighbours anymore. They binge Netflix etc. 

Its just a thought, but it may be deliberate on both soaps as you could argue the last of the true soap watchers is aging and they’re maturing with their audience. 

17 hours ago, 630si said:

I imagine some research has probably been done on the demographics of the audience. Kids in school don’t run home to watch home and away and neighbours anymore. They binge Netflix etc. 

Its just a thought, but it may be deliberate on both soaps as you could argue the last of the true soap watchers is aging and they’re maturing with their audience. 

It's a catch-22 though: do kids not rush home to watch Home and Away because it has become adult (whereas in its heyday it was a more family-friendly show) or did it become more adult because the teen audience was dropping off? The way TV Week plug the show, you'd think it was more still aimed at the teens, but who knows? 

• 11 months later...

Yeah I agree, there's barely any teens now which is a shame. I said in the other thread but its made the teens become a bit isolated with Coco being gone - you have Raffy/Ryder spending pretty much all of their time together and then Bella spending all of her time with Colby/Dean/Willow.

Hopefully someone will foster again at some point so that school scenes will feel a bit more exciting again.

On 30/04/2019 at 11:39, j.laur5 said:

H&A has never been just about teens. 

I disagree. The show was, for a very long time, centered around fostering, which generally implies younger people. The fostering element pretty much died when the Braxtons arrived. They've tried a few times to revive it (i.e. Raffy with the Palmers, Maddie and Spencer with Roo and Harvey, Matt, Evie and Oscar with Leah and Zac), but ultimately, it's gone. Regardless of the fostering, a teen group at the heart of the show, with the older characters still around and getting their own storylines, but I think the shift changed with the Morgans. We lost all those teens in 2016-2018 and only really got Raffy, Ryder and Coco to replace them. 

I'm not saying we need a suddenly influx of teens, we just need more of a balance. Ditch two or three of the 20/30somethings, and bring in a few teens or older characters to even things out a bit. With that group, I feel like all we are getting is just love triangles and partner swapping. 

6 hours ago, adam436 said:

I disagree. The show was, for a very long time, centered around fostering, which generally implies younger people. The fostering element pretty much died when the Braxtons arrived. They've tried a few times to revive it (i.e. Raffy with the Palmers, Maddie and Spencer with Roo and Harvey, Matt, Evie and Oscar with Leah and Zac), but ultimately, it's gone. Regardless of the fostering, a teen group at the heart of the show, with the older characters still around and getting their own storylines, but I think the shift changed with the Morgans. We lost all those teens in 2016-2018 and only really got Raffy, Ryder and Coco to replace them. 

I'm not saying we need a suddenly influx of teens, we just need more of a balance. Ditch two or three of the 20/30somethings, and bring in a few teens or older characters to even things out a bit. With that group, I feel like all we are getting is just love triangles and partner swapping. 

I actually think the show stopped being about fostering after Pippa left. Irene never actually ever officially fostered anyway in the way she gets called from the department and asked to foster someone. It’s more word  of mouth or she finds them. 

On 30/04/2019 at 02:39, j.laur5 said:

I think we have enough teens. H&A has never been just about teens. 

I do agree its not just about teens, but I think having only a couple (especially with Coco now away), it really limits things for the teens storyline-wise. If they have a fall out, there's no one else for them to be friends with - not even guest characters during the school scenes (which I think have become a bit more centered arounds the teachers at the moment with the Maggie/Simone drama). 

Plus although I don't think love interests are everything, it means there's no one there for Bella.

I guess to me it just feels like a big jump because we had so many teens before, and once they aged out of school we had the university scenes.

Archived