2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention yesterday: What were those ponies(?) grazing behind Ben and Maggie? Are those theirs or were they sitting right next to someone else's property?Anyway, still a case of no news possibly not being good news for them.I'm glad that keeping schtum with Ziggy and Coco didn't last very long and they're in the loop.And I had to laugh at everyone except Coco panicking at the thought of Diana getting involved.She really hasn't learned...

Roo suddenly finding things a lot more difficult with Ryder now she has to be the responsible adult rather than the irresponsible one.And I must admit I'm not 100% on her side here: Yes, schooling's important but I continue to be unhappy with the show's habit of looking down on teenagers who want to get jobs, even if Ryder isn't really doing it for the right reasons, and I'm not sure Roo has either the right or the ability to force him. I did smile at both Alf and Raffy's low opinions of Ryder.It remains to be seen whether his inability to sit still (even Raffy describes him as having a short attention span) is a symptom of something or just the way he is. Ryder calls Raffy Lady Rafaella which may be the first on-screen mention of her full name, although it was hard to tell if he was joking or not.

Jasmine Delaney (as her surname was spelt today, she apparently gained an e between seasons) was actually named by Tori in the finale.Involving the rather directionless Leah is potentially a good move, guess we'll see what her story is.

I was surprised that the Astoni’s gazebo actually got built. I wonder if that was a show prop or if the owners added it so it was written in.

I really didn’t understand why Alf was organising the funeral. There were a lot more people who were closer to Kat than him and I’d actually say out of Alf’s side of the bay, he was probably the least connected to her. I suppose he’s close to Robbo.

I thought the same Red, does seem logical Rafaela would be her full name, can't really see her being christened  Raffy, but of course there is Ziggy and Coco so that shoots my reasoning down in flames. Just checked it is Raffaela, lovely name. Can they force Ryder to go to school, not sure what the school leaving age is in Australia - that does raise the question what went on when he was living at home - did he bunk off there? Is Roo wearing her teachers head rather than her stand in mums head insisting Ryder attend school?  Even the incentive of Raffy and Coco being there (I assume she meant the same year)  didn't tempt Ryder. He's obviously very bright but he is 17 and school doesn't suit everyone of that age.  He does have  a grasshopper memory span  but as Quinn said ADHD had been ruled out so has to be something else.  It appeared he had no realisation of what Roo and Alf were doing regarding Kat's funeral but he looked suitably chastened when Roo told him, he can change from not seeming to care about anything to wanting to help as much as he can. I can see him as a children's entertainer, he could certainly relate to them, but  if the same law applies there as it does here, he would need a DBS check even at 17. Was that for real that Coco has a fear of clowns?

Did Alf take it upon himself to arrange Kat's funeral, Tori had been close.  Although no longer together Ash would have been the next closest.  Even allowing for the fact she was a cop and had been shot at before now, maybe the thought of her dying and funeral never crossed her mind so the subject never came up as to what kind of service to have. Good to hear they consulted her mum and family as to what songs/hymns to have.  Wonder what McCarthy told them as regards her death.

Me too, I was glad Ben persuaded Maggie to tell the girls the truth and I laughed at the shocked NO when Coco suggested Diana come back!:lol:  I suppose Maggie was concerned that worrying about it would revive Coco's bulimia, but she has Ben & Ziggy who will be there for her. Besides they're not stupid and would have realised something was up and as Ben said Coco had  a sixth sense about things being kept from her. I did agree with Ziggy that it doesn't seem possible that though we are in the 21st century they were having to wait a week for the results to come back.

Well of course Jasmine is on the run from someone:rolleyes:, explains why she was speeding down an unfamiliar road in the dark, she certainly came across as suitably terrified. The police will (I hope) work that she was by inspecting the skid marks.  There will be a reason her family haven't responded to calls from the hospital or police.  Any bets against Leah inviting her to stay at the caravan park?

Ash's back tonight as well as all the River Boys by the look of it. From what we saw he's calling in an old favour offered by Brax, I'd guess he's going to get them to look for Robbo. He, however, is a past master at hiding from folk.

Well that was an emotional farewell for Kat and bubba. Ash had to go spoil it and ring the river boys up. I’m not sure what I’m thinking or feeling regarding this. I was one of those guys, firmly happy to move on from the river boys era as I felt it all got a bit Samey after a couple of years. Perhaps this time the light and shade balance will be better? 

I find it oh so peculiar that Leah wouldn’t be at Kats funeral, and instead obsessing over this stranger Jasmin. Other than the writers having to give her something to do now she has no family etc there is no logical reason why Leah the character would chose to do that over be with the rest of the community at the funeral. It’s down right odd and it just felt out of sync. It’s not just me is it? 

Alf's episode count this week:Four. Justin was also in four, while Tori was in all five. Kat received a credit as a regular despite only appearing in one episode as a corpse.

I'm curious about the psychology of Ash torching the cottage.He seemed to only be there in case Robbo came back, at least on the surface, but why burn it down? Simply to deprive Robbo of a bolthole or was it deeper than that? Robbo was, after all, planning to raise Ash's son there: Was it a symbolic destruction of Robbo's dream? Or maybe even a funeral pyre? Anyway, the funeral that followed was very emotional.It seemed surprisingly sparsely attended, although to be honest I can't think of any obvious omissions.Raffy was probably the person closest to her that wasn't there, and maybe they thought she was too young for it.Most of Kat's friends are dead already (that farm house really was cursed, as we can add Kat to Romeo, Denny, Oscar, Hannah and Billie on the list of dead ex-residents...Maggie really needs to find herself a lucky rabbit's foot or something) which made Alf's speech about normally burying people who are old a bit strange given the number of young people whose funerals he's attended over the years.Nice touch having Kat's mother and brother there, even if they didn't give them any lines.

I share John's thought of "Why would Ashford [or Lucy Addario and whichever script producer it is at the moment] bring those clowns back to the bay?" It seemed almost ludicrous the way we got this really long introductory shot of a bunch of random blokes in utes with Blood and Sand tattoos as though we're supposed to care that it's the River Boys but not any of the ones we actually know.It does make sense given that Brax made a point of introducing Ash to them before he went to jail but still.

Actually, I did buy Leah's actions here and it's nice to see her caring and maternal side come to the fore.Her visiting Jasmine is maybe a stretch but it seems she just felt sorry for her not having visited.But given that she was there and knew what was going on, I think of course Leah would stop and help someone distressed and in trouble rather than just shrug her shoulders and drive on.At heart, she is that sort of person.So, what's Jasmine running away from? (The accident was in no way her fault by the way: if it was a main road she was bound to be going about 60 and Kat was obliged to stop and give way however fast she was going.)An abusive family? The fact she doesn't like being touched hints at a story.

1 hour ago, Paul237 said:

Looks like the UK will catch Australia up by 2 weeks when they take it off air for the Commonwealth games. Though it'll probably be just in time for our summer break, putting us weeks behind again!

We haven’t had a summer break for a couple of years now so here’s hoping

On 3/14/2018 at 18:43, Razabaza said:

Not for me, when it comes to blonde guys, I prefer ones that look like Paul Walker.

The pony tail not doing it for you, no?

I understand that Leah is lonely because VJ has gone but I genuinely don't understand why she is so concerned about Jasmine Delaney.  It just seemed to come out of nowhere.  I'm not complaining of course.  I think with her and Jen, two cute blondes would be a welcome addition.

So just because he doesn't get his own way with Robbo, Ash commits arson and has to arrange a whole load of River Boys to find him because he can't take Robbo himself.  If I'm honest I didn't feel much sympathy for him during the funeral although I did feel sorry for Kat's mother and brother.  Whilst the actors have left I would have liked to have heard reactions from characters such as Nate and Scarlett to her death.

I thought it was very moving funeral and I felt sorry for Ash once he'd resurfaced and decided he could face going to the service that is. The sight of a child's or baby's coffin is always so so tragic and then seeing Ash carrying it into the church got to me.:cryingsmiley:  It wasn't until I saw Kat's mum and brother I realised they had lost not only a daughter and sister but a grandson and nephew. If I remember correctly it was revealed at some time that Kat was Chilean. Raffy is 15 so not too young at all to attend, were Mason or Brody there? The Morgan's do/did owe a debt to Kat she looked after them well when the Syndicate reared it's ugly head in town. I didn't think about that Red about the number of young people that have died, out of that list only Romeo died a non violent death, Hannah, having survived cancer,  died as a result of her injury following the explosion. Might have seemed a bit strange for Tori giving the speech for Kat seeing as in a way they were love rivals for Ash.

Symbolism and Ash aren't wouldn't normally be two things you'd put together in the same sentence but it seems right. Him doing that means Robbo can't return so denying him the chance to remember Kat that way.  As I said before Robbo is very good at keeping himself hidden so not surprising the police haven't found him.  Justin put the idea of the River Boys in Ash's head, they can go to places the police can't. Ash is only one man and the bush is a big place The lot that turned up are likely the new generation.  The Morgan's arrived after the last lot were in town so no wonder Tori didn't know who they were. More rows on the horizon for Ash and Tori.

Leah was all set to go to the funeral but happened to see Jasmine wandering along after having skipped hospital  as you do in soaps.  Leah being Leah couldn't just abandon her, she was obviously was in distress and even more so when she realised she partly caused the crash despite Leah reassuring her she wasn't. True she had right of way but was speeding down an unlit road she didn't know at night, not something you would normally do, I know I wouldn't.

Does Robbo want to get caught because as we saw he turns up, again, at the Morgan's and Tori ends up treating him for his wounds, more de je vu.  That's going to be tricky hiding him from Ash.

Archived