2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I don’t know if it’s the lack of mix of other stories in some episodes, but this latest crime saga really has me considering whether I want to continue watching the show. 

It’s a shame because Maggie’s cancer is being done really well.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Garlic, Crucifixes, Sunlight or Silver Bullets Work on Hazel! ??

Genevieve is playing her convincingly scary; about 10 works from the Bubbly Brenda Riley!

If Lou Carpenter could see his sister now, He'd have a heart attack!

I wouldn't be surprised if more Eastons were banged up, due for parole wanting revenge for their brother/cousin.

5 counts of Cop-on-Perp death in  the show's history so far

Terri on Saul (1997)

Peter on Gillen (2006)

Eaves on Killer (2010)

Charlie on Hammer (2011)

Colby on Boyd (2018)

EARLY WARNING!!!!!! H&A is on 5pm on Monday.

D.B Mason didn't do anything really bad, just opened his mouth when he shouldn't have.

We've seen cops answering the phone of a injured/dead perp before in cop shows so not unusual, McCarthy didn't want to freak Hazel out so that is why he was calm, part of the training I imagine. As for him not taking a note of the number Hazel isn't stupid so I reckon their phones were pay as you go so no chance of anyone tracing them. I noticed Justin went over his three days and remembered your comment Red,:wink: maybe he'll be missing tonight?  Although Ava is OK physically doesn't mean she is mentally or emotionally, may seem a tad OTT to suggest counselling but Ava may open up more to a stranger than her dad so as not to upset or worry him, so we may get to know how Hazel was able to take her.  She spoke to her mum so I'm betting we'll be seeing Nina again sooner rather than later. Oh Justin you had to say those fatal words 'It's all over now' didn't you, if anything I'd say it's going to get worse.  That was the Ash we all know when he popped into the hospital to see Ava once he knew she had been found. Summer Bay telegraph was working well.

Hazel may well be a tough nut but unlike Ma Baker she did shed some tears before plotting her revenge once she knew he was dead, but why against Tori she did all she could to save the low life who had kidnapped her niece.  It was Jasmine who suggested they call it.  From what was said between Ebony and her mother there has been friction between them, both seem very strong women so obviously clashes in how to run things. Ebony seems to have Boyd's share of the smarts casually walking into the hospital and although she didn't do anything showing up again the laxity of security at ND, just happens to pick up a stethoscope, I must admit I was waiting for that to happen, and lo and behold a passing medic lays his down and walks off,:rolleyes:  so she can pretend to be a doctor and hang around outside the room where Boyd was being worked on.  Oh as an aside Tori was working on a patient who wasn't a relative or friend!:o

If that was the first time Colby had used his fire arm in the line of duty since joining the force he's done well. Maybe he was trying to convince himself of why he joined the police originally, he must be good at it to be senior constable.  I guess shooting at someone would bring it home to you.  I think he needs to be on his own to sort his mind out and Jasmine is being clingy. Btw from the trailer Irene slings her out of the beach house but I thought they got on OK?

Slightly awkward talk between Colby and Dean.  I had the feeling Colby felt he had atoned in some way for what had happened to Dean previously.

I think it was Hunter's suggestion he and Olivia  could be friends that made her realise she couldn't be, it was boyfriend/girlfriend or nothing. He came across to me at least as just being a mate helping her set up her website again and suggesting they hang out. Hope she did tidy up the place instead of leaving it looking like a tip. :D 

Yes indeed Red I was cartwheeling and I thought he looked very sexy in his shirt, jacket and tie slung round his neck:blush: - shallow who me?   He didn't have to come back but as I said a few posts ago  he would want to come back as he felt he owed people in the bay explanations - two in particular - and he confirmed it to Lance. They took him in, fed, watered him, gave him somewhere to live, work when they didn't know anything about him. Rather confused though how did he and Lance walk from where they parked the car to the Diner flat in broad daylight without anyone seeing them? Well Colby obviously got some, if not all of the tale as of course there are still some gaps we want filling. We are talking AFP here Red and have their own rules as do most Feds, Novak was the only one Robbo/Ryan killed, he never started any fights, just defended himself when he needed to. Kat's death was a tragic accident, she hadn't been kidnapped and forced to drive the car. Came as  a surprise to Ryan/Robbo he had been on the AFP payroll all this time, relief or not to get his real identity back I wonder. He's been known as 'Robbo' for a while now and may not want to return to being Ryan. The big face to face comes tonight when he, back in vest and jeans, confronts Ash. Next big one will be Tori.

Red raised the question of how long Ryan had been undercover the answer may lie in when his family was wiped out, does anyone remember what the date was  on the newspaper that Colby pulled up when Robbo remembered he used to be Ryan Shaw?

What a couple of episodes! To start: 

Really enjoyed the Ava storyline and I am so pleased that she was rescued. I really enjoyed watching Willow in this, her feelings of guilt and willingness to put herself on the line to save Ava and fix the situation really made her a favourite here. Dean and Justin worrying about Willow's safety was nice to see as well, though I found Dean annoying when he said that the police were useless. He called his River Boys to help and how much use were they? I also found the police's attitude towards Colby firing his gun at Boyd to save Dean extremely annoying: Colby was doing his duty, I mean, what's the point of giving them guns if they're not supposed to use them?! ? And  I was a bit confused at McCarthy on the phone with Hazel, doesn't the police know that she was involved as well? I get that they usually inform the families of even the perps though, and as H&Alover said, they probably couldn't trace the phone so that's what I'm going with what happened.And he couldn't tell that it was her. I liked McCarthy's chat with Colby, it really gives us a deep insight in the police and their way of thinking.  I'm not very sure about Ava talking with a counsellor, maybe it's too soon. I'll give Ash his due on how he came in to check in on Ava, I've been harsh on him in some of my earlier posts, but he is loyal to his friends, most of the time, that's what I like about him the most.

I was intrigued by the Boyd-Hazel-Ebony dialogue in the two episodes. When we first saw him, Boyd was this big commanding thug who wouldn't take any crap from anyone, but with Hazel, he just seemed reduced and subdued, like he was her sidekick. And while Hazel was naturally upset over Boyd's death (though I won't mourn though, he deserved what he got), but you're right Red, Evony just seemed cold. It looks like we're about to see a whole new evil to this family. 

As ever, the Astonis were the highlight. Ben and Maggie's banter at the start was so beautifully done, and their reactions to Maggie's hair falling out was also very good, they didn't expect it to be this soon. While it was not the best time for Marilyn and Irene to show up, they did mean well, Maggie needs all the support she can get. 

On 25 May 2018 at 13:55, H&Alover said:

Yes indeed Red I was cartwheeling and I thought he looked very sexy in his shirt, jacket and tie slung round his neck:blush: - shallow who me?   He didn't have to come back but as I said a few posts ago  he would want to come back as he felt he owed people in the bay explanations - two in particular - and he confirmed it to Lance. They took him in, fed, watered him, gave him somewhere to live, work when they didn't know anything about him. Rather confused though how did he and Lance walk from where they parked the car to the Diner flat in broad daylight without anyone seeing them? Well Colby obviously got some, if not all of the tale as of course there are still some gaps we want filling. We are talking AFP here Red and have their own rules as do most Feds, Novak was the only one Robbo/Ryan killed, he never started any fights, just defended himself when he needed to. Kat's death was a tragic accident, she hadn't been kidnapped and forced to drive the car. Came as  a surprise to Ryan/Robbo he had been on the AFP payroll all this time, relief or not to get his real identity back I wonder. He's been known as 'Robbo' for a while now and may not want to return to being Ryan. The big face to face comes tonight when he, back in vest and jeans, confronts Ash. Next big one will be Tori. 

I agree with you 100% on this, despite my doubts before, I still believe that it was self-defence when it came to Novak. Robbo didn't go out to start trouble, the reason why he went in this whole Beckett Reid thing was to save people, he said so himself in the flashback with Lance. You're right, he doesn't have to come back, but the fact that he is, to set things right and that he feels that he owes the people explanations, just reminds me why I like him so much. It will be interesting to see him face-to-face with Ash. 

Bit weird or rude of that new character to make a joke out of how many times she had been married considerly they both tragedically died. And then for everyone to laugh. And as if she Leah wouldnt have spoken about that in conversation withnher already as they've been friends for a while now haven't they. It is they kind of thing that comes up. To save that awkwardness it should have been Roo bringing up frank or maz saying about Lance

Also trying to tie it in with Alf. I thought that Viv woman was his first love. 

Also, I think that Dean could have been more grateful for Colby.

I also feel for Colby, he shouldn't have to hand in his badge, no matter whether it was temporary or not, he did the right thing, hopefully he will get it back,at least he has Robbo and Jasmine trying to be there for him.

5 hours ago, H&Alover said:

he never started any fights, just defended himself when he needed to.

There's a few bruised police officers lying outside the Diner just for doing their job who might disagree with you.He also knocked Ash out in order to escape without Ash attacking him or making any move to do so. And hit Alf from behind when he first appeared.

54 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Bit weird or rude of that new character to make a joke out of how many times she had been married considerly they both tragedically died.

She kind of drove the third one away though. Mind you, it does underline how much of a joke Leah's black widow status is when even the characters are laughing at it.She really is Home and Away's answer to Gail Platt.

Alf's episode count this week:Two, and he was credited on Tuesday for no appearance.Justin, as previously mentioned, was in four.

So, Ash and Robbo have what was probably the closest thing they could manage to a civilised conversation.Robbo's honesty could have backfired but ultimately Ash just seemed utterly deflated.It's all right for Robbo to say they can have closure: Okay, he's lost Kat but he's ended up better off than he expected.But Ash has been robbed of someone to blame for his son's death...well, arguably the person most to blame died with him, and he could blame Robbo but what's the point when he can't do anything about it: It's basically been dismissed as collateral damage from a botched undercover operation.It seems Ash may have been serious about the town not being big enough for the two of them, but it's a rather low-key departure if he is gone for good.

I was very worried by that out-of-context clip of Irene in the promo, since that really didn't sound like the Irene we know.So I was glad to watch the episode and twig straightaway that it was an act, after her much more in-character greeting to Jasmine.I cheered a bit when Olivia told Hunter where to go, even if she did unfortunately apologise afterwards, but frustrating that the possibility of her having a new girl friend quickly turned into her getting jealous of the attention she was getting.Like with Skye.And Billie.(And why does she need to give up the sew room anyway?Has the fourth bedroom, which I think was last used by Nate, disappeared again?)Possibly a new role for Leah: Wasn't it the new old script executive who made her school counsellor? I've always been a bit disappointed that that got thrown away in favour of sticking her back in the Diner. And looks like that's the last we've seen of Alf for a while.Loved the interplay between him and John as ever.

4 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

There's a few bruised police officers lying outside the Diner just for doing their job who might disagree with you.He also knocked Ash out in order to escape without Ash attacking him or making any move to do so. And hit Alf from behind when he first appeared.

She kind of drove the third one away though. Mind you, it does underline how much of a joke Leah's black widow status is when even the characters are laughing at it.She really is Home and Away's answer to Gail Platt.

It's been Rodwell for the last three years but you're right? 

Well, plenty of action in Wednesday's episode but not a lot of substance, with Hazel and Boyd doing their wicked stepmother and incompetent sidekick pantomime routine. Glad Ava's safe and sound anyway, and that Dean isn't badly injured. Agree with others as regards being less concerned about the legality of what Colby did shooting at Boyd, but more the fact that it probably shouldn't logically have made any difference given he was driving straight for Dean. Still, perhaps Colby wasn't thinking that logically in the heat of the moment - particularly given his undying love for Dean - so I'll give him a pass. And in any case, I couldn't summon up much sympathy for Boyd after his child-napping and pensioner-stair-shoving antics, although his death obviously isn't good news for the Bay denizens on account of the glamorous new villainess stalking the corridors of the hospital. Difficult to conclude that Hazel's command to "burn' em to the graaahnd" is going to result in anything other than a weeks-long campaign of revenge and scenery-chewing by the new crime family, and if anything Ebony seems even more dangerous than she does - albeit not particularly any more interesting as a character.

Nice to see Irene and Marilyn rallying around for Maggie. They were certainly sticking their noses in uninvited, but at least they meant well; and if nothing else their incessant twittering might distract her from having to think about her illness for a little while - although the scarf was probably a bit premature.

Fun scenes with the cocktail party on Friday, and it seems Jasmine moving into Irene's is another fairly inky tick in the 'she's probably sticking around' box. She still feels like pretty much a blank slate to me - pleasant enough, but not a lot else going for her as a character. Presumably there are more skeletons to come out of her closet in the near future. Olivia was typically self-centred - first in not bothering to consult Irene even after the night before, or before Jasmine turned up at the door with her possessions; and second in immediately getting jealous of her the moment she did. But on the plus side, deciding to break off from hanging around Hunter is probably the most sensible decision Olivia's made in months. I remain doubtful about how long that will last, but willing to enjoy it while it does.

And as Jasmine moves in, Ash drives off, in what looked to these eyes like an unostentatious exit from the show - but time will tell. I'm glad he calmed down enough not to do Robbo any injuries, but I wasn't quite getting why they were both so concerned about 'where do we go from here?'; surely with Robbo having imparted the truth about his past to Ash, there's no real need for them to 'go' anywhere other, perhaps, than not trying to knock each other's teeth out every time they pass each other on the beach (there's a novel idea). It felt like they were trying to patch up a broken love affair or at least a friendship, neither of which they've ever shared - so it felt like the show was trying to solve a problem that didn't really exist. Clearly it still exists in Ash's head, though, or he presumably wouldn't have fled town - although admittedly there's not a lot keeping him in Summer Bay now aside from the garage. I don't think I'd be devastated if he didn't return - but after some more-subdued-than-usual behaviour today, I don't think I'd be devastated if he did, either, provided he's not back to punching and yelling at people when he does.

All that said, there doesn't appear to be a lot keeping Robbo in the Bay either; for all his wittering about having 'a few things to do' and the Bay's 'good people needing an explanation', I'm not convinced of the necessity of either - and it just feels like we're being fed excuses for him being kept around as Action Man-in-waiting.

8 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

It's been Rodwell for the last three years but you're right? 

Sorry, I should have said Gail Potter-Tilsley-Platt-Hillman-MacIntyre-Rodwell.

Guess this is why Leah Poulos-Patterson-Baker-McGuire gave up taking husbands' names after the first two...

Archived