Storylines that went nowhere

adam436

What storylines have we had that seemed to just be either suddenly dropped or just didn't really go anywhere? Also, I'd be curious to know if there was a behind-the-scenes reason as to why that happened.. 

The one that springs to mind for me was Sally's engagement to Luke, Kieran's best man. They got engaged, however I don't even recall seeing him that much before and/or when they were engaged, nor the reason they split up. It seemed really pointless and odd. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colleen's long lost daughter seemed rather pointless and was never mentioned again 

Tasha and Jack seemed to get "close" while Matha and Robbie were missing, it seemed like they were setting them up to have feelings for each other or something but it got dropped, but not complaining.

Ash's brother also seem pointless. I never understood his reasons for faking his death and again he hasn't been mentioned since 

Sally’s engagement to Luke, who was always offscreen as he lived in the city, was EXTREMELY pointless. The only explanation I can think of for it, is that the writers wanted to show that Sally had moved on and got over her problems caused by Kieran, but at the same time they didn’t really have any interest in giving Sally an onscreen romance. So they just gave her this offscreen relationship to say “don’t worry she’s ok now”.

The Jonah thing - they wanted to keep Jonah around to have a relationship with Martha so they rewrote the history so that Jonah wasn’t really a rapist, probably because they didn’t want Martha/Jonah to be a repeat of Kane and Kirsty. 

But it was a stupid rewrite and disrespectful to the audience, all for the sake of Jonah being a guest character for a few weeks. He left Martha and the show very soon after so... yes, pointless.

Martha laying into Morag went nowhere too...Morag was so upset by Martha’s treatment of her, that she left town to “find herself.”

She returned much later in the year for Sally and brads wedding - no interaction with Martha at all. And no mention of how she was getting on or acknowledgment of the fact that she left with a great deal of torment in her heart. Completely forgotten. Then she came back in 2008 and she and Martha were best buds. 

8 hours ago, project90 said:

Colleen's long lost daughter seemed rather pointless and was never mentioned again 

Am I right in thinking that Alf almost got together with Colleen's long lost daughter or does my memory serve me wrong?!   

This was obviuosly before they knew they were half brother and sister - thank goodness nothing actually happened or he could have inadvertantly slept with his niece!

5 minutes ago, voyager50 said:

Am I right in thinking that Alf almost got together with Colleen's long lost daughter or does my memory serve me wrong?!   

This was obviuosly before they knew they were half brother and sister - thank goodness nothing actually happened or he could have inadvertantly slept with his niece!

It didn't nearly happen, it did happen. :wink:

http://www.backtothebay.net/characters/maureen-evans/

14 hours ago, Dan F said:

It didn't nearly happen, it did happen. :wink:

http://www.backtothebay.net/characters/maureen-evans/

OMG - I hadn't remembered it being that serious between them  - So Alf was incestuous as well adulturous  (albeit obliviously) in his younger days!!!!

I wonder if the storywriters conveniently forgot this storyline when they came up with the one about Coleen and Alf - it would have really changed the script if they had remembered it and dealt with the consequences!!

ah - just read further down the page on your link and they hadn't forgotten!  Shame they cut it

Archived