Why was Lachie replaced with James?

adam436

Does anyone know why Lachie was suddenly replaced with James in 1998? Presumably TPTB wanted Lachie and Chloe to be the next big couple and then he just abruptly left and was then replaced with his brother, now recast. I was never a fan of either character, but it was obvious James was meant as an "unplanned" replacement. They both were doctors and he basically just started where Lachie left in terms of being in love with Chloe etc. 

Interestingly, Richard Grieve was one of a few regulars to join H&A just months after leaving Neighbours and then stay for a relatively short stint. We also had Craig McLachlan and Richard Norton who didn't stick around long as well.  

10 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think you've said all there is to say!

Pretty much! :P

I think Richard quitting did come as a surprise to them after such a short time (they tried to lure him back permanently when he made his small guest appearance at the end of the season, but he declined), so there certainly would have been a void that needed filling quickly - we'd already established Lachie had a big family, so really it made sense to re-introduce one of his siblings on the notion that he wanted to look out for Chloe and his niece.

Although his leaving storyline was a real slow burner. Prob longer than most. He started to get persistent headaches at least a month before his last episode. I remember think how good a subtle they were being

Just now, Blaxland 89 said:

Although his leaving storyline was a real slow burner. Prob longer than most. He started to get persistent headaches at least a month before his last episode. I remember think how good a subtle they were being

And he'd done a year so wouldn't it been likely he had a years contract? 

They wanted an excuse to keep Diana around? I suppose there was the link to Olivia, but having James as well made it stronger...

By the way, did Chloe love James? I was young at the time and not always watching but I seem to remember the wedding wasn't what she wanted rather something she felt obligated to do for appearance's sake or something. Is this correct?

11 hours ago, Spinach said:

They wanted an excuse to keep Diana around? I suppose there was the link to Olivia, but having James as well made it stronger...

By the way, did Chloe love James? I was young at the time and not always watching but I seem to remember the wedding wasn't what she wanted rather something she felt obligated to do for appearance's sake or something. Is this correct?

Mmm, yeah, more or less. I think on one level Chloe wanted it to work but James was always very much second choice.

I know the marriage didn't last very long and she'd left within a few months - pretty much like Nate and Ricky. James was basically a spare part after Chloe left and gone by early 2000.

I also do wonder whether the writers originally planned the story arc for Shannon and Lachie, but then when she left they gave the story arc to Chloe. 

Archived