Did Joel Nash have long-term potential?

adam436

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/02/2018 at 21:44, j.laur5 said:

I mean actor might decided to leave in due course if he was not axed in 2000. 

True. Maybe he would have had Rhys and Tony's storylines. So married and lost Beth and then had a baby with Rachel, departing the show with her in 2010 (coincidently just before the Braxton crime wave, as he would have been too competent to police it!).

There is still a link of sorts to Irene - they effectively share a 'grandchild' in Lily (I know we're not talking biological, but Irene would have officially been Will's stepmother aswell as foster mother had Ken bought a new jack).

The link would be stronger still had the writers not split up Will & Gypsy and carted him off to jail.

If we were talking real-life, then Joel would easily be able to make a quick appearance if he was just dropping off Lily for a stay with Irene and wanted to visit his old haunts. Though in storyline terms they'd probably need a little more than that if they wanted to coax the actor back.

12 hours ago, Dan F said:

There is still a link of sorts to Irene - they effectively share a 'grandchild' in Lily (I know we're not talking biological, but Irene would have officially been Will's stepmother aswell as foster mother had Ken bought a new jack).

The link would be stronger still had the writers not split up Will & Gypsy and carted him off to jail.

If we were talking real-life, then Joel would easily be able to make a quick appearance if he was just dropping off Lily for a stay with Irene and wanted to visit his old haunts. Though in storyline terms they'd probably need a little more than that if they wanted to coax the actor back.

My thoughts exactly Dan

17 hours ago, harrietjames said:

If LIly were to attend ND Uni and stay with Irene, and Joel was helping her move and would drop by occasionally after that, that would work for me. If they expect us to believe that Joel and Ash are suddenly besties however....

That would be an awesome way for him to come back. I agree about the Joel and Ash thing

Why do you think the Sutherlands were introduced, and therefore losing Joel, as opposed to continuing with a foster family in Summer Bay House? I know Rhys and Shelly took in Brodie (I never got the point of that, as they were an otherwise nuclear family, but I'll digress from that point!), but why couldn't they have continued with Joel and Natalie? I'm not sure which actors were axed and who left of their own accord, but within the space of a few months all the Summer Bay House occupants bar Gypsy and Joel were written out, so perhaps it just seemed easier to start over with a new family, as opposed to inventing four new foster children (the Sutherland girls + Brodie) and a potential new suitor for Joel. 

Joel's last months seemed like a waste to me - he didn't really do a great deal and then he was paired off with Judith (who was axed around the same time), then left the show by reuniting with Natalie. In hindsight, it felt like the writers just decided to pair them up because they were both at a loose ends until their contracts ended. 

Archived