What if Ailsa had stayed in Summer Bay Alive?

Inactive.User

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think Irene or Colleen would have lasted so long if Ailsa was still alive? Irene became the central matriarch/motherly figure following Pippa's and Ailsa's exits, so I feel like she would have been a bit surplus to requirements. I like Irene, but I feel like Ailsa would have taken on all her illness/victim storylines and her and Alf would have become foster parents to all the waifs and strays she took in (Tasha, April, Belle, Spencer, Chris, Geoff and Annie etc.). Also, all Colleen did for the most part was serve coffee at the diner, so she could easily have been axed if they had too many diner staff/older female characters. 

In 2008, Alf and Ailsa would have moved into Summer Bay House and Miles would have lived elsewhere. I also think that if Ailsa had lived, Duncan and Shauna would have been recast and reintroduced as a regulars. Perhaps Kyle Pryor or Jackson Heywood could have played Duncan and Kestie Morrasi or Penny McNamee as Shauna.

Also, do you think Morag and Ailsa would have had a good relationship during Morag's appearances since 2001. Morag had softened somewhat and much time had passed that I feel like Ailsa would have forgiven her for the Bobby stuff.  

On 1/27/2018 at 12:18, adam436 said:

Do you think Irene or Colleen would have lasted so long if Ailsa was still alive? Irene became the central matriarch/motherly figure following Pippa's and Ailsa's exits, so I feel like she would have been a bit surplus to requirements. I like Irene, but I feel like Ailsa would have taken on all her illness/victim storylines and her and Alf would have become foster parents to all the waifs and strays she took in (Tasha, April, Belle, Spencer, Chris, Geoff and Annie etc.). Also, all Colleen did for the most part was serve coffee at the diner, so she could easily have been axed if they had too many diner staff/older female characters. 

In 2008, Alf and Ailsa would have moved into Summer Bay House and Miles would have lived elsewhere. I also think that if Ailsa had lived, Duncan and Shauna would have been recast and reintroduced as a regulars. Perhaps Kyle Pryor or Jackson Heywood could have played Duncan and Kestie Morrasi or Penny McNamee as Shauna.

Also, do you think Morag and Ailsa would have had a good relationship during Morag's appearances since 2001. Morag had softened somewhat and much time had passed that I feel like Ailsa would have forgiven her for the Bobby stuff.  

I think Ailsa/Irene/Colleen/Shelley are all different enough characters to have on the show at same time with Ailsa being the towns respectful matriarch, Irene being towns  fiery and outspoken woman  and Colleen being the town battle-axed busybody and Shelley  being central earth mother . 

Just now, Sally Keating said:

The writers wanted Duncan out (or the actor wanted to leave, I don't know which) so if Ailsa had still been in the show it would be interesting to see how she'd have reacted to Duncan leaving with Morag.

I think Duncan would had stayed but recast. 

There be no Seb character as Seb was clearly Duncan replacement. 

I agree - I think it would have been a fairly lengthy split like Karl and Susan have had a few times in Neighbours, just to see them develop. 

At the same time though, it would have been nice to have a stable couple to provide some continuity and be the "backbone of the show". I guess we now have John and Marilyn as a long-term couple (and I can't see Emily or Shane leaving anytime soon!), but prior to that, we'd gone over a decade without such a couple apart from Sally and Flynn, who lasted about 4 years. Every other couple post-Alf and Ailsa only seems to last about 2-3 years at the most before one half or both of the couple leave. 

Archived