Why are some some stories inconsistent?

voyager50

Hi

I have been watching H & A since it started in the UK but this is the first time I have been on the forum - I hope I am posting in the right place.

I was just interested why some stories are dropped or changes made to them.

The most recent one is that of Mick Jennings - Irene was supposed to have had him when she was 15 which was mentioned several times.  I thought Irene was in her 60s and sure enough , it says on the character details on this site that she was was born in March 1953.  This means that Mick should be about 50 which he clearly isn't and in the recent episode when they were describing Mick they said 'late 30's'.

I don't understand why this has been done.

Going back much longer, VJ was born deaf and had a cochlear implant fitted as a baby and an ASL sign language finger spelling sheet was visible on Leahs fridge. When VJ was about three both disappeared and the storyline was dropped.  It is such a shame that he couldn't have remained as a deaf character.

If any of the writers read this it would be good to know why changes like these happen.

Welcome to the forum :) 

some very good questions, I guess this is down to the art of soap writing and the licsense this gives you to bend the truth. However, in reality, it’s probabu writers not knowing the shows past as well as they should. It’s best not to think too much about it and just go with it.

It happens regularly enough for there to be a term for it - SORAS - Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome (and it's opposite DeSORAS) - where a character's age is modified to fit a story line. They also like a bit of eye candy - if Mick had been more accurate in demographic, that wouldn't have worked. Also a 50 year old man raping a 20 ish girl is worse than a 30 something year old, somehow.

Disability stories are hard to maintain - it limits what the writers feel they can do - if he was deaf some of the things that they may have needed a child actor who could sign, and Leah would have had to learn, in class there would have needed to be an aide and/or a sign translator.

There is a magical source of healing somewhere in the Bay - it's great at quick recoveries from spinal injuries. But is comes at a cost where people decline and die more rapidly than normal too. No one every speaks of it - but somewhere it is there...

4 hours ago, project90 said:

Didn't VJ have an operation as a baby to help him hear

Yes - he a cochlear implant fitted but this always involves using a visible device on the head which is what VJ wore as a baby - without it he wouldn't be able to hear as he was diagnosed as profoundly deaf.

Archived