H&A Hits & Misses for 2017 - TV Soap & BTTB (UK Spoilers)

Matt

As with last year, the BTTB team worked with Australian magazine TV Soap to come up with a list of 'Hits & Misses' of Summer Bay in 2017:

http://www.backtothebay.net/news/2018/01/02/2017-hits-misses/

(article contains UK spoilers)

A reminder that this list is subjective, and there are no right and wrong answers, but we do believe we've managed to give a general idea of the viewers opinions from over the season!

Enjoy :)

2 hours ago, Matt said:

As with last year, the BTTB team worked with Australian magazine TV Soap to come up with a list of 'Hits & Misses' of Summer Bay in 2017:

http://www.backtothebay.net/news/2018/01/02/2017-hits-misses/

A reminder that this list is subjective, and there are no right and wrong answers, but we do believe we've managed to give a general idea of the viewers opinions from over the season!

Enjoy :)

I really hope you can interview the "Dan Bennett" of 2017, like you do last time in regards to this

I agree with 90% of this article and think its a job well done. 

Strange that Kat and Robbo weren't covering half of the articles, and Kat's exit wasn't mentioned either. 

Roo's pregnancy was such a missed opportunity.

However this has been a perfect recap, and I can't wait for the next one :)

The Comings and Goings list was not something we had any input into - the Hunter mention was evidently just an error made by whoever added in the list later on. No need to look into anything with the lack of Matt & Evie either - it didn't say it was a full list, just that it 'included' the following.

We did debate with Robbo for quite some time, but ultimately not everything was able to make our final list or indeed the final article. We also had to put it together before the end of the season had played out fully.

I would add Brody's drug battle to the misses I didn't enjoy that and John's childhood was quite silly

I agree with Mason and Beth being a hit but for a totally different reason It was great comedy at times for me from Mason shaking Brody like a ragdoll that was a great scene :lol:

Yep Scary Mick was a miss I agree with that too.. I would add VJ's exit to that done for shock vaule but didn't make much sense with Scary Mick leaving the day afterwards :lol:

Great list, agree mostly with it all. 

I agree with Brodie Drug Story being a hit. Not everyone's cup of tea the story clearly. But I agree the little twist made the story beleivable imo. And seeing it through the vantage point of such an easy going character like Brodie. Showed how easy it is to get addicted. 

I also agree with the arrival of Ryder. And Quinn being an important addition to the legacy of Alf's Family History. Ryder has added much needed air into the SBH.

Coco's Bulimia battle was also another story I really enjoyed. The Astonis were such a breath of fresh air in the later half of the year. After all the Morgan Drama. Having an every day Aussie Family was so refreshing and great. Generally a great addition to the story canvas I agree.

As for the misses I agree particualrly on Billie. Big mistake imo. Biggest since Romeo's exit story. Billie deserved a happy ending. And it felt anti climatic. Despite Billie having a beautiful ending. I still felt their was more potential with her their. Would of liked to see her and VJ raise the baby. Instead what we got was a messy, and drawn out custody battle storyline. That they dragged out way too long. And as much as I loved Kristan. Mick ended up being a weak at best villan. I felt he should of been portrayed better as someone trying to turn his life around. Which he was. But the town treated him as some kinda predator. When he was really mentally ill. It was nice Irene supported him though. And of course VJ Leaving with Luc to Cypris. Seems kinda pointless now.

And yeah Zac and Leah was an obvious miss LOL. Zac was the victim here. He made one mistake. And he bent over backwards for saint Leah. We all know she contributed. With her pushing Zac away through out Billies Funeral. But nothing he did was good enough. And it was a collective sigh of relief when he left. 

Roo's pregnancy was also a missed oppurtunity. IT is one of my wishes for 2018 that Georgia Parker get's more screen time. She is a brilliant gem who is severley under-utilized. As the story turned out the younger man she was with ran out on her. Then she loses the baby. Only to go out looking for Martha. Only for them to drop the story. And no mention of what every happened. 

I agree with most.

Billie's Death - I would have preferred the other Ashford to die - with the better actor left to grieve. Personally I like a death - it's often good TV - whereas the happy ending is a sometimes a bit bland. Definitely the custody battle was a miss. Ash getting custody was the worse outcome, going against the main premise of the show - where your family is more that just blood. They couldn't quite decide whether Mick had mental health issues or was out right evil. Ultimately they did the right thing, giving Luc to VJ.

The biggest misses are the ones that didn't make the list. These are the forgettable storylines. Like Patrick - what was his point, other than perhaps to make Billie's death more tragic by not finding out her dead brother actually wasn't?

Patrick was another one that was debated.In the end, we could only go for so many (and not everything that we submitted made the article). The write-up we did for the custody battle did include the fact that it was against the main premise of the show, but TV Soap had to edit it for publication and obviously chose what they felt was important.One of my biggest problems with it was the way they had Alf being very much Team Ash for most of the year and coming out with lines like "VJ will never be Luc's father" which really did feel like a betrayal of the show's premise.But as you say, at least they got it right in the end!

Archived