Who the longest and who the newest viewer on the Forum?

project90

I watched casually from somewhere near the beginning, mostly at lunchtime in school holidays (with lunch on tray on lap, back in the days when this was still relatively unusual in Britain. Nowadays I literally don't know anyone who both owns and uses a dining table!) , or on a few occasions during termtime if our evening meal was delayed for some reason. Then I became a more regular viewer sometime in the mid to late nineties, and became even more fanatical by 1999/2000 (I actually think in hindsight that the year long wait between ITV and Channel 5 episodes actually made me more interested in H&A, and more fanatical, than I otherwise may have been had it continued on ITV.) and began taping episodes during the 2000s once I started working (I still have hundreds of episodes on tape, but they are only partly catalogued, and in extremely variable condition (partly due to Channel 5 having well known signal problems in its earlier analogue years), ironically some of the most recent episodes (2008/9) now unwatchable because decent quality videotapes had become much harder to find by the late noughties so I used some really dubious ones from a discount store.). I fell behind on watching my taped episodes around 2008-2009, then when I moved out of my parents place into my own flat in July 2009 I more or less stopped watching and taping H&A, partly as I was far enough behind that I would have struggled to catch up, and partly as the show had begun changing from what it had been up to that point. I still however occasionally tune in for an episode if I hear that something significant is happening to Alf, Irene, Morag or Marilyn, or maybe Leah (but I can't be bothered with her endless succession of husbands and partners, so she'd literally have to be getting killed off or something for me to tune in for her). I'd also tune in for any older characters returning or any special anniversary or reunion type episodes if I knew they were happening.

Sorry that's probably a far more comprehensive answer than anyone really wanted.

• 1 month later...
On 16 November 2017 at 22:31, Martin said:

I have watched since the pilot episode and hardly missed any episodes!

I am the same.  I can still rememeber the excitement of it starting in the UK when I was about 13.

The TV Times magazine had a feature on it and a big photo explaining who the characters were - I can still picture it now.

It took me until 2012 to make it to 'Summer Bay' but it was one of the best days of my life!!

I don't know anyone who still watches it to talk to about that's why I signed up to the forum a couple of weeks ago.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Lozzenga said:

I’ve been watching since day 1 :) 

I remember going to Tasmania in 1990 and we didn’t have a VCR, so I could only watch the eps if we were back at the hotel :( 

Oh the days when there was no PVR/DVR and you had to be at home for a shows airing time , whether the premiere or the repeat and EVERYONE was talking about that episode the next day. Because everyone watched it at the same time! 

Archived