Is H&A the most iconic soap ever in its home country Australia?

Homeandawayfan.

H&A has sold abroad as well all know and done well in the UK but in Australia alone would you say H&A is the most iconic soap ever? I know Neighbours is now niche in Australia (as well as the UK when it used to be the biggest Oz import) now but in Oz alone does H&A beat Neighbours, Prisoner, Sons & Daughters and A Country Practice in the iconic stakes?

10 minutes ago, pembie said:

Too be fair it was talked about the most when the Braxtons were around few of my friends watched it back then don't think they do now.

I'd agree. Whether people on here like it or not, the Braxtons extended the appeal of the show (and made it a bit less of a guilty pleasure). I know a lot of people who never missed an episode during the Braxton era, and now they don't watch.... But this isn't meant to be yet another Braxton discussion.

I have always had the impression that H&A resonates more with UK & Irish audiences, probably because it's that fantasy of sunshine and beaches, whereas any Australians I've spoken to (travelling on this side of the world) seem to cringe as soon as I mention it.

This is exactly what long term fans said would happen though. By concentrating on just those character, yes it brought in some new viewers who like them but it was obvious that when the braxtons left they would stop watching. And during that time a lot of long term fans were alienated and also stop watching. Now ratings are pretty bad as I understand. 

While I never liked the Braxtons much, I did not intend for this to turn into another anti Braxton thread. I was talking about the impact H&A has had on Aussie TV over the shows run, the awards it has won, viewing figures (including long before the Braxton era) and whether is it enough to make it the most iconic soap in its homeland. It seems to have won the most Logies over the years and has had the highest viewing figures of the soaps, enough to be to Australia what Corrie and EE are to the UK.

Almost everyone knows what Home and Away is and have at least watched it at some point, so from that stand point yes it probably is the most iconic soap. We don't look at soaps the way a lot of British people seem to do though, I doubt the general public would refer to it as 'iconic'. The TV industry over here doesn't really look at soaps as legitimate drama either, there is/used to be a snobbery about soaps for whatever reason.

Hardcore fans prob were alienated around that time. But they who shall not be named did increase new casual viewers. I guess now they are post that era. ITs hard to get back to what it was. Probably going to take three or so more years. 

But yes I would say Home and Away is the most iconic Soap in Australia. It is more popular in NZ then Neigbours. 

19 hours ago, pembie said:

Too be fair it was talked about the most when the Braxtons were around few of my friends watched it back then don't think they do now.

Yes, but popularity does not equal quality. If that was the case The Fast & The Furious and the Transformers movies would win Oscars.

Archived