Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

1 hour ago, Trudy Heine said:

I remember Maz first got more serious after Byron died. Then when she returned she was back to her old bubbly self.

It was good because she was more mature and wiser we still bubbly side and funny side.  

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Does anyone remember when Marilyn stopped being a dizzy airhead ,and turned into a serious character?

I haven't properly got that far yet, but I skipped ahead to Steven's 1991 departure episodes a while ago and Marilyn had passed the HSC too (unlike Roo, Carly and Matt two years earlier) and Bobby had commented that Marilyn could get into Law with those marks, but like Bobby, she didn't know what she would have done at university and Adam didn't seem keen on her going either.

I don't know if that counts as her getting "serious", but she seemed keen on educating herself.

8 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

I could be wrong, but didn’t Bobby get married to Greg fairly quickly? If anything she got married to Greg quicker than she got married to Frank.

I haven't got that far yet so I don't know about the pace of Bobby and Greg's relationship, but there was about 80 episodes between Frank finally seeing Bobby in a romantic way (episode 163-164) and their wedding (episode 243), and they got engaged about midway between.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/05/2021 at 03:31, Summer's Bay said:

I could be wrong, but didn’t Bobby get married to Greg fairly quickly? If anything she got married to Greg quicker than she got married to Frank.

How did Sally become the high school headmistress?

On 13/05/2021 at 12:33, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

I haven't got that far yet so I don't know about the pace of Bobby and Greg's relationship, but there was about 80 episodes between Frank finally seeing Bobby in a romantic way (episode 163-164) and their wedding (episode 243), and they got engaged about midway between.

There's about 145 episodes between Bobby starting to view Greg romantically (episodes 878-879) and them getting married (episode 1023), although they got engaged after only about 50 episodes together, including that period when she was dithering between him and Frank.

Donald made Sally acting head when he retired and she ended up being made full-time deputy head soon after, although she stayed as deputy head (bar the odd period acting up) under three different heads and wasn't made the permanent head until just a few months before she left.

On 01/06/2021 at 20:05, Red Ranger 1 said:

There's about 145 episodes between Bobby starting to view Greg romantically (episodes 878-879) and them getting married (episode 1023), although they got engaged after only about 50 episodes together, including that period when she was dithering between him and Frank.

Donald made Sally acting head when he retired and she ended up being made full-time deputy head soon after, although she stayed as deputy head (bar the odd period acting up) under three different heads and wasn't made the permanent head until just a few months before she left.

Did she go to Uni? was she a teacher at the school?

Did Roo get a teaching job at the school? are we expected to forget that she didn't even pass her HSC?

9 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

Did she go to Uni? was she a teacher at the school?

Did Roo get a teaching job at the school? are we expected to forget that she didn't even pass her HSC?

I would think Sally was at uni in 1998-2000 (I haven't seen much of that period though).  I think she originally studied Archaeology or something and then changed to teaching.  From memory, she was doing her teaching placement at Summer Bay High in 2000 (while Judith Ackroyd was principal, but Donald Fisher and Harry Reynolds were also teaching there) and started teaching properly at Summer Bay High from 2001 onwards.  I didn't realise that she was actually principal for only a relatively short time, but then yeah there was Paris, Barry and Brad as principals in that time.

Out of Roo's year, the only character who seemed to pass her HSC was Bobby (Roo, Carly and Matt didn't), but then Roo started working for the Macklin Corporation and I think she did events management there and continued to work in events after that.  There was a period a few years ago when she was a lecturer in Events Management or something at Northern Districts University (which I suppose would make sense as she had experience), but then going to teach English at a high school seems like a strange step to make after that.

On 02/06/2021 at 01:05, Red Ranger 1 said:

As much as I'm not keen on Bobby with Greg, I'm also not keen on her with Frank. Perhaps that stems looking at it many times plus living in a different world. Whilst Nicolle and Alex have chemistry, I now find their relationship and marriage boring (subjective view, granted). 

I actually prefer the Bobby on her own (both in 88 and then the bit between Frank and Greg where she really gets better and better and had BOBBY-led stories). Of all of her romantic conquests, the one that I still consistently like watching the most is with her and Danny; there is definitely something interesting about that chemistry (and Geoff/Bobby definitely the most painful, as it always was). 

Some strong female characters work better just on their own and that's part of what gives them their identity. And that's why I love Bobby the most in those periods. Yes, they break hearts along the way but they are not part of sickly "supercouples". Alas Shannon, Irene, the real Michelle Fowler in EastEndsers etc. Soaps have a consistent habit of making most of their young characters relationship dependent- if anything, that trend has worsened whilst (quite rightly) it is the opposite way now in in real life with young, Western women being far more self-assured and less "man-dependent". 

In general, I find all those "romance" led stories boring (another subjective view, I know!). That view has got stronger with time and no doubt diluted by rewatching!

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/06/2021 at 10:22, homeandawayroxsomuch. said:

I would think Sally was at uni in 1998-2000 (I haven't seen much of that period though).  I think she originally studied Archaeology or something and then changed to teaching.  From memory, she was doing her teaching placement at Summer Bay High in 2000 (while Judith Ackroyd was principal, but Donald Fisher and Harry Reynolds were also teaching there) and started teaching properly at Summer Bay High from 2001 onwards.  I didn't realise that she was actually principal for only a relatively short time, but then yeah there was Paris, Barry and Brad as principals in that time.

Out of Roo's year, the only character who seemed to pass her HSC was Bobby (Roo, Carly and Matt didn't), but then Roo started working for the Macklin Corporation and I think she did events management there and continued to work in events after that.  There was a period a few years ago when she was a lecturer in Events Management or something at Northern Districts University (which I suppose would make sense as she had experience), but then going to teach English at a high school seems like a strange step to make after that.

IIRC, Roo failed or at was at least was disappointed in her results.

Archived