Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

2 hours ago, cymbaline said:

Was Phil axed or did the actor leave? I was under the impression that it was the latter and that he later regretted asking to be killed off. Or maybe I dreamt all that... I wouldn't have considered him to be a replacement for Frank because he was older but maybe he was?

I guess in terms of being popular with the female demographic he couldve taken over as the shows resident spunk since Matt was pretty much in the background and Steve was too young. However according to the Home and Away book I read, he didnt appear to be that popular so he got killed off. Tom, Phil, Bobby all killed off because they either wanted to leave or disagreed with the producers. Sounds spiteful to me. I guess at the time it made sense not to kill of Frank because  various storylines couldve been revisited with him, same with Roo. 

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in school at the time and we were all a bit upset when poor Philip got toasted. I think we were taking it a bit too seriously at the time! 

You are right though - the producers seem to love killing off departing actors. It makes sense for the likes of Tom or Ailsa because those characters were less likely to split from their other halves and sail off into the sunset. Bobby's death seems especially needless because Greg didn't hang around too long afterwards. Which leads on to a question I have. 

Did the actor who played Greg leave Home and Away of his own accord or was he axed? 

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

I was in school at the time and we were all a bit upset when poor Philip got toasted. I think we were taking it a bit too seriously at the time! 

You are right though - the producers seem to love killing off departing actors. It makes sense for the likes of Tom or Ailsa because those characters were less likely to split from their other halves and sail off into the sunset. Bobby's death seems especially needless because Greg didn't hang around too long afterwards. Which leads on to a question I have. 

Did the actor who played Greg leave Home and Away of his own accord or was he axed? 

I could be wrong but based on his efforts over the years to go back I think he was axed. At least he wasn’t killed off. I guess he could’ve been a struggling sing,e father and eventually find love again, but I don’t think his character was strong without Bobby. His most recent campaign to go back started after the 30 year anniversary and Endless Summer. That’s when he did the interview with Nicolle coming out as gay. Interesting enough, Nicolle’s Husband looks just like Ross. That aside I’m not sure how he would fit in with the current product. Only Alf and Marilyn know him. I guess he could fall in love with Roo..

I think the character Phil was good but I’m not sure if the actor did the role real justice. 

59 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

Celia and Alf shared Alf’s bait shop until late 1989 when Alf managed to find The premises that was used from late 1989-1996

It was the large Stewart Store they opened together in 1989 - Alf later bought Celia out before he moved to the smaller store in 1991 (which is the one that lasted until 1996)

Archived