Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I thought Morag was older than Alf. Her character profile says 1948 but I always thought she was born a good 6 or 7 years earlier. I think in 1988 she did call Alf "little brother". I thought the birth order was Colleen (illegitimate), Morag, Alf, Barbara, Celia and Debra. Colleen was born in 1940 I think.

We saw a flashback to Morag and Celia as children in 1989 where there was only about 3 years between them.Early publicity material said that Alf was born first after which his father only had daughters, which is where the 1948 date comes from.

9 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

ill neve believe that Frank married Bobby on the rebound otherwise, he wouldn't have gone out of his way to tell her twice that he wasn't interested. Here, in my opinion is where the writers messed up. 

I think when Frank and Bobby got together it was the right choice and he didn't have any interest in Roo, but it quickly became clear that Frank and Bobby's attitudes towards life were too different for them to really work out, and meanwhile Roo did a lot of growing up in her last six months on the show and ironically turned into someone who was better suited to Frank.Even Bobby realised it in the end and basically gave them her blessing to be together.Which is why I've always felt splitting Frank and Roo up in 1991 was a mistake and the reasons never really made much sense.The intention seemed to be to show that Greg was better for Bobby than Frank but it was never going to win over the die hard shippers and the end result was all four characters ended up the worse off: Bobby was dead within a couple of years, Greg promptly went back to being a deadbeat father and abandoned Sam again once he didn't have Bobby to help out, and Frank and Roo had their happy ending ripped away from them and ended up as middle-aged divorcees who never got to have a family (something Roo has commented on more than once since she's been back).

13 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

We saw a flashback to Morag and Celia as children in 1989 where there was only about 3 years between them.Early publicity material said that Alf was born first after which his father only had daughters, which is where the 1948 date comes from.

I think when Frank and Bobby got together it was the right choice and he didn't have any interest in Roo, but it quickly became clear that Frank and Bobby's attitudes towards life were too different for them to really work out, and meanwhile Roo did a lot of growing up in her last six months on the show and ironically turned into someone who was better suited to Frank.Even Bobby realised it in the end and basically gave them her blessing to be together.Which is why I've always felt splitting Frank and Roo up in 1991 was a mistake and the reasons never really made much sense.The intention seemed to be to show that Greg was better for Bobby than Frank but it was never going to win over the die hard shippers and the end result was all four characters ended up the worse off: Bobby was dead within a couple of years, Greg promptly went back to being a deadbeat father and abandoned Sam again once he didn't have Bobby to help out, and Frank and Roo had their happy ending ripped away from them and ended up as middle-aged divorcees who never got to have a family (something Roo has commented on more than once since she's been back).

You make some great points, Roo was "right"for Frank when he finally found his calling in the Macklin company because she "fitted" in with the direction his life was going in and pretty much confirmed what Carly said about Bobby not fitting in with Frank's lifestyle. However, an earlier point I made was Bobby was no saint and contributed to Frank seeing Roo as an alternative because of her own insecurities. 

Greg was a terrible, selfish opportunist. 

I thought Bobby giving Roo her blessing to go to Frank pretty much contradicted what she said to him when he returned. I thought that was terrible writing at the time and eventually made it look like Roo "won" when really, she didn't. 

Which is why I've always felt splitting Frank and Roo up in 1991 was a mistake and the reasons never really made much sense

I disagree, I think it was inevitable. At least from what I've read so far, Frank didn't go back to her when Bobby chose Greg over him.

Frank and Roo had their happy ending ripped away from them and ended up as middle-aged divorcees who never got to have a family (something Roo has commented on more than once since she's been back).

I mentioned this earlier, I don't think Roo loved Frank as much the second time around but it's interesting that Roo would say this considering Frank said they wanted different things in life and that is why their marriage ended. In my opinion this was evident the first time they broke up when she was attracted to Brett.

I forgot to add that recently watching old episodes, in my opinion,  Frank was attracted to Bobby before he admitted it to himself. I know he said he saw her like a sister but he spent a lot of time with her, complimenting her, helping her study, randomly sayinh she was the only person he felt like dancing with, rushing to be by her side when Alan was in hospital, inviting her and not Carly to the Macklin cocktail party....all while claiming he never had any feelings for her...

Looking at the Roo character now, in your opinion did she grow up or is she exactly like she was? As Alan desscribed, a 2 faced manipulator? 

13 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

I'm sure there's chunks of 2000,  2002 and 2004 floating around out there.

2008 can be found if you know where to look.

(These were the years she returned)

I'm still looking! I'm just disappointed that there isn't a scene of Frank visiting Bobby's grave

14 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:I thought Morag was older than Alf. Her character profile says 1948 but I always thought she was born a good 6 or 7 years earlier. I think in 1988 she did call Alf "little brother". I thought the birth order was Colleen (illegitimate), Morag, Alf, Barbara, Celia and Debra. Colleen was born in 1940 I think.

The episode where Morag and Colleen were in the store and Colleen called Morag "Pudge Stewart", Colleen also indicated that they were in the same class together so one would assume they were at least born in the same...unless Colleen had to repeat an academic year 

How did Collen and Morag get on after finding out they are sisters? 

Relationship was pretty much the same. Morag was kind of dismayed at first and there was even occasion where she referred to Colleen as "An Unfortunate mistake my father happened to make" when Colleen went a bit overboard with the whole Stewart thing but She later tolerated her (more than usual) .

19 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Not sure publicity material on the characters can be classed as canon as they can be contradicted in the show itself even if continuity can be slack in the show itself. I am sure we are talking about the same publicity material that gave Alf's DOB as Nov 1946 but he was 45 in 1988 so born 1942/1943.

Now I've been reintroduced to Home and Away again by watching the old episodes, this really bothers me.

What is Steven doing these days? 

Did Sophie and Bobby have much of a relationship? 

Archived