Hello! I'm new here and would like some help with some unanswered questions :)

Summer's Bay

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/05/2018 at 01:17, Sally Keating said:

Let's not forget that Carly said "I was such a cow to Bobby" and expressed regret over her treatment of her.

Which is more than Morag ever said!

Morag said she gave up Bobby for Prue  Cruel reasons after Martha gave her a piece of her mind in 2007. 

On 22/05/2018 at 11:17, Sally Keating said:

Let's not forget that Carly said "I was such a cow to Bobby" and expressed regret over her treatment of her.

Which is more than Morag ever said!

Was Carly talking about a specific encounter ?

Ive never watched this episode but when it was mentioned before, I fount it odd. Unless things changed between them after Bobby married Greg I always felt that regardless of their bickering, Bobby and Carly really liked  each other and were like sisters.

Probably the referring the early going of the series where they bumped heads.

They were reasonably close as they worked together pretty much every day for two years in the Diner.

They'd still stir each other a bit but was mainly girlie banter.

To be honest, it felt like a case of what I said earlier, characters having conversations that in real life they'd have had years ago. It was almost like someone hadn't looked past the pilot and went "Right, Carly and Bobby didn't get on at first, we'll reference that."

Incidentally, Carly left way before Bobby married Greg.

38 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

To be honest, it felt like a case of what I said earlier, characters having conversations that in real life they'd have had years ago. It was almost like someone hadn't looked past the pilot and went "Right, Carly and Bobby didn't get on at first, we'll reference that."

That's how I used to think of it too, but now i'm older and wiser with life experience I do think my previous post stands that it's actually quite realistic. If I had  a close friend who died, and I'd been horrible to him years earlier, even if it water under the bridge, his death would make me feel guilty about that. Not guilty enough to mention it at the time, because we had become friends and it wasn't a huge deal, but just a little bit of regret deep inside that I wouldn't tell anyone, that I hadn't been nicer to him from the start.

And then it's likely that twang of guilt would eventually surface and come out in a situation where I was reunited years later with all the people who used to know him, memories of old times were flowing and being shared IN ABUNDANCE, especially being back in a house I hadn't lived in for years... And that was my one main regret associated with that house, and it had been quietly niggling me all that time. It would definitely bring it to the surface, and I've experienced similar things myself and seen it happen with others too. Which is something I didn't appreciate seeing the episode all those years ago because I didn't have the life experience to identify with it. It did indeed seem like a hap-hazard cut-and-paste reference for Carly to say. Now I think it's one of the most poignant moments in the episode, along with Jack's "I did try holding onto him that night".

Okay. I guess I'm still young and stupid and lacking in life experience then, because I have a hard time imagining myself coming out with a random comment like that 12 and a half years after the fact and 7 years after the person died.It seems completely lacking in poignancy because there's literally no reason for Carly to say it and it literally makes no sense, since Carly wasn't even horrible to Bobby, Bobby was horrible to her and she responded in kind and she made a point of personally welcoming Bobby to the family after everything was sorted.Even Pippa says "That's not the way I remember it"!

But hey, maybe you're right, people aren't logical and do build up guilt for no reason.But having watched things in reverse, I was pretty much looking at the pilot going "So where's the bit where Carly's horrible to Bobby then?"

4 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Okay. I guess I'm still young and stupid and lacking in life experience then, because I have a hard time imagining myself coming out with a random comment like that 12 and a half years after the fact and 7 years after the person died.

that's where all the reasons and particular, specific circumstances I mentioned come into play. It's not about randomly blurting out something from 7 years ago on your way to work one day. It's about specific thoughts and feelings resurfacing for a specific reason at a specfic time and in a specific place. It's... well.. I'm not gonna repeat myself if you chose not to read it the first time. Either way like I said, it''s happened to me and I've seen it through life experience happening to other people too. Just because YOU have a hard time imaginging YOURSELF (your words) doing something, doesn't mean other people wouldn't do it, especially in circumstances you obviously don't relate to. We're all different.

It seems completely lacking in poignancy because there's literally no reason for Carly to say it

Literally no reason apart from literally all the reasons I actually gave in the same very post you're replying to.

"and it literally makes no sense, since Carly wasn't even horrible to Bobby, Bobby was horrible to her and she responded in kind and she made a point of personally welcoming Bobby to the family after everything was sorted.Even Pippa says "That's not the way I remember it"!

But hey, maybe you're right, people aren't logical and do build up guilt for no reason.But having watched things in reverse, I was pretty much looking at the pilot going "So where's the bit where Carly's horrible to Bobby then?"

Why does it have to be related to the pilot? there are plenty of times Carly was mean to Bobby throughout that whole first year and it wasn't just sibling rivalry or Bobby giving as good as she got. there were times they got along well but there were also times Carly was a complete cow to Bobby in ways that Bobby never was to her after the pilot. there were even episodes focused on Pippa and others trying to make Carly see that she needs to treat Bobby better, and scenes showing the effect Carly's cruel taunts had on her.

I don't remember Carly saying "I was such a cow to Bobby in the pilot episode." ????

Archived