I can't stand Angel

BobbyFridge

Hi everyone, i am new here and this is my first post.

I have to make this post because i am currently watching episodes from 1995 (i'm in the late 1700's now) and this is the first time i am seeing these episodes again since they were first broadcast. The episodes are quite good and its interesting seeing things again that i still remembered, as well as lots of things i had forgotten about as well. But i need to share my feelings about Angel, this might be an unpopular opinion but i really don't like her.

Angel is such a whiny bore who seems to suck the life out of most of the scenes she appears in. She henpecks Shane and how he puts up with her i do not know. Angel is never happy or satisfied with anything, she always finds something to moan about. I really disliked how she believed Shannon's lie without bothering to talk to Shane about it and packed up and left on the sea plane. I know Shannon was far from innocent either, but Angel has to have serious trust issues if she takes the word of a messed up teenager and doesn't even talk to her husband about it before packing and leaving. This might sound harsh but i wanted her to die in the plane crash!

Later on she spitefully says she doesn't care when Shannon is ill with Bulimia and later still she accuses Shannon of being the stalker without any proof. Of course she is wrong about it. Now Dylan has Leukemia and she wants another baby just to save Dylan. I get that a parent will do all it takes for their child when the child needs it but it seemed a bit callous to only want another child for that reason.

Angel appears to be a bit of a misandrist also. Not only because she never gives Shane a seconds peace but also in her attitude as Dylan's mother. She feels she has the right to custody based on that and that the father really doesn't matter even though he had been looking after Dylan since birth.of course Angel has a right to see her child but not an automatic right to custody when she has been absent for so long. It can be very disruptive for a young child to be taken from the people they have been used to for so long and placed in a new environment, but Its just written in to the episodes that Dylan settles down straight away and accepts living with Angel and Shane.

Angel is a tragedy queen as well. In just one year she gets run down by Alf and paralyzed (but then makes a remarkable recovery all of a sudden). is in a plane crash, gets stalked by her ex and finds out her son has Leukemia. Its like they just gave Shane and Angel as many tragedies as they could because they were big characters at the time, but watching it now i find it tedious. They get too much screen time and its actually quite boring watching them. Shane isn't too bad on his own but Angel drags them both down. I am not impressed by Melissa George at all, i can't work out why Angel was so popular back then.

Does anyone else feel the way i do about Angel? I'd put her in my list of top ten worst characters ever and over rated characters

I think the writers gave Angel a bit of a personality shift in 1995. Or maybe they were reverting back to what they had in mind for the character when she first arrived - where she seemed a little more argumentative and strongly opinionated.

Angel was so likeable during 1994 and I loved watching her screen time with Shane - but by the middle of 1995 I agree that she had become quite annoying. Watching it for the second time round with more of an adult perceptive I think she had the symptoms of someone who is clinically depressed, but obviously that was never addressed on screen so if you're basing it on what was shown on screen I see it like the car accident/being paralyzed gave her control issues and she felt defensive and always needing to protect herself from any possible hurt.

She was pretty infuriating the way she treated Shane and I wish they had given him more of a backbone so that there was a balance, instead of just accepting her unreasonable attitude towards him, but Angel really overshadowed Shane during 1995 which I disliked.

I think towards the end of 1995 they pulled back on Angel's over the top reactions and she became a lot more likable again thankfully, I think they managed to turn her around by 1996 and she was a lot more balanced, stressing where she needed to stress, but being reasonable & caring (back to how she was in 1994). But overall I do agree that her flipping out became tedious and irritating during mid 1995.

9 hours ago, dee123 said:

Neither can Melissa George :P:lol:

yes lol, i heard she has been dismissive about the show since she left. I hate it when a star behaves like that about the show that launched their career, its ungrateful and nasty.

By total contrast, Isla Fisher always talks highly of her time on the show and has even said she'd happily go back for a guest appearance.

5 hours ago, BobbyFridge said:

yes lol, i heard she has been dismissive about the show since she left. I hate it when a star behaves like that about the show that launched their career, its ungrateful and nasty.

I think all of that has been totally blown out of proportion.

14 hours ago, alexx said:

I think all of that has been totally blown out of proportion.

Nah. It's true, or was true. However it's water under the bridge at this stage. Though there was a time where her comments did her no favours:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/entertainment/melissa-george-is-fed-up-with-you-your-home-and-your-ways-australia/

• 6 months later...

After having watched a load of the Early Years episodes, I agree. I found the whole Shane and Angel storyline an utter drag, even when I was a teenager watching it all for the first time. Time hasn't changed my mind on this. I'm glad I can now scroll through the dreariness. Shane was an interesting character in his own right and it's unfortunate he got sucked into this ongoing storyline that turned him into a boring sap. Angel was a whiny, aggressive, dislikeable character with few redeeming characteristics. 

Archived