Joel Nash - David E Woodley

KKB

What were your thoughts on Joel Nash played by David E Woodley from 1998-2000. Personally I loved him as a character. My favourite storylines with him were the Robert Perez, Nat's Affair, The Mudslide and his bond with Gypsy.

Did you or did you not like him and why?

KKB

• QUIET ACHIEVER changed the title to Joel Nash - David E Woodley
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, jakeyy. said:

He was alright. I liked the storylines you stated, as well. I reckon he could return with a new family

They were my favourites. I reckon he could too

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, dncllpyk said:

He is the Dance Academy movie he is Ms Reins boyfriend in it

Yeah I saw the movie

• 3 years later...

I've been re-watching some of the classic H&A episodes on 7Plus lately, which got me thinking: Joel Nash is a character that could have kept chugging in the "dependable cop" role for years (for those who have seen A Country Practice, think Frank Gilroy!). He also grew up in Summer Bay, which means Alf could have shared his role as the Alf to be an authority on local history, and as head of Summer Bay House and with his role as the local police officer, he was the perfect candidate to take in waifs and strays. He also seemed to have great interactions and rapport with many of the other locals, such as Alf and Irene. 

David Woodley played the part of Joel, a father and a police officer, with honesty and realism. I vaguely remember Gypsy getting herself in trouble with the law and Joel's loyalties being divided, whereas nowadays there isn't even the dilemma (the cop naturally covers for their loved ones!). His scenes as a father were very understated yet believable, even with all the trouble Gypsy and Tom gave him, whereas his successor at Summer Bay House, was often very over-the-top and over-dramatic when he would lose his cool. 

Joel would have, of course, had to leave Summer Bay before the local police became incompetent and corrupt, but that didn't really happen until the late 2000s/early 2010s :lol:

His final six months were a bit bizarre though, and I assume that was because the writers got lazy because the decision was already made to write Joel out to make way for Sutherlands: his wife became pregnant to another man and then he had a romance with Judith. The affair/pregnancy didn't really seem necessary as Natalie could have simply let for a new job or something, then Joel join her a few months later. Even with the affair story to write Natalie out, the pregnancy was a bit much. I get the whole story was done for "added drama", but it felt so out of character. And then his romance with Judith was pretty much a "fill in" to give both characters something to do until their contracts ran out, as they were both a loose end following the exits of their families and had barely even shared a scene prior to the pairing. I also remember he and Gypsy moved with Vinnie (I think Joel or Travis actually owned Vinnie's house though?) and of course, his very rushed reunion with Natalie following the landslide. Does anyone remember... were Joel's injuries from the landslide permanent? I know he left with Natalie so she could take of him during his recovery, but that's all I really remember. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 06:34, adam436 said:

I've been re-watching some of the classic H&A episodes on 7Plus lately, which got me thinking: Joel Nash is a character that could have kept chugging in the "dependable cop" role for years (for those who have seen A Country Practice, think Frank Gilroy!). He also grew up in Summer Bay, which means Alf could have shared his role as the Alf to be an authority on local history, and as head of Summer Bay House and with his role as the local police officer, he was the perfect candidate to take in waifs and strays. He also seemed to have great interactions and rapport with many of the other locals, such as Alf and Irene.  - I love Joel and I agree with this statement for sure it would be great to see him cross paths with those in the bay these days (wonder who would be his love interest)

David Woodley played the part of Joel, a father and a police officer, with honesty and realism. I vaguely remember Gypsy getting herself in trouble with the law and Joel's loyalties being divided, whereas nowadays there isn't even the dilemma (the cop naturally covers for their loved ones!). His scenes as a father were very understated yet believable, even with all the trouble Gypsy and Tom gave him, whereas his successor at Summer Bay House, was often very over-the-top and over-dramatic when he would lose his cool. - His scenes as a father were most definitely under rated I loved the bond between him and Gypsy that was for sure under rated. 

Joel would have, of course, had to leave Summer Bay before the local police became incompetent and corrupt, but that didn't really happen until the late 2000s/early 2010s :lol: - or maybe he stayed and things stayed competent or he may of gone back to teaching. 

His final six months were a bit bizarre though, and I assume that was because the writers got lazy because the decision was already made to write Joel out to make way for Sutherlands: his wife became pregnant to another man and then he had a romance with Judith. The affair/pregnancy didn't really seem necessary as Natalie could have simply let for a new job or something, then Joel join her a few months later. Even with the affair story to write Natalie out, the pregnancy was a bit much. I get the whole story was done for "added drama", but it felt so out of character. And then his romance with Judith was pretty much a "fill in" to give both characters something to do until their contracts ran out, as they were both a loose end following the exits of their families and had barely even shared a scene prior to the pairing. I also remember he and Gypsy moved with Vinnie (I think Joel or Travis actually owned Vinnie's house though?) and of course, his very rushed reunion with Natalie following the landslide. Does anyone remember... were Joel's injuries from the landslide permanent? I know he left with Natalie so she could take of him during his recovery, but that's all I really remember.  - his final six months were a bit bizarre I wont disagree with you on that. I personally didn't like the Judith and Joel pairing. The affair storyline gave David something to play with as he hadn't really got that many big storylines and he did an amazing job. I liked it when the Sutherlands and Joel crossed over (Joel was way better than Rhys and should off stayed). Yes he and Gypsy moved in with Vinnie but he moved out to try and mend his and Gypsy's relationship and yes Travis owned the house and I think Joel was his acting landlord I think Travis even owned it when it got burnt down I don't think Leah ever brought it. As for his injuries I am pretty sure they were permeant.

I would love a Joel Nash return to the bay.

• 1 year later...

Another reason for the show's decline in the late 90s. He was the apogee of the ridiculously authoritarian parent, rather in the Joe Scully mould, Holly Valence's petty minded dictatorial father in Neighbours.

Yes Alf, Michael and Donald could be judgmental and harsh on their offspring at times, but at least they had an ounce of likeability.

I've got to say that Joel Nash was a big reason I switched off from Home and Away.

• 4 months later...
On 23/07/2022 at 08:38, Stewarts Point said:

Another reason for the show's decline in the late 90s. He was the apogee of the ridiculously authoritarian parent, rather in the Joe Scully mould, Holly Valence's petty minded dictatorial father in Neighbours.

Yes Alf, Michael and Donald could be judgmental and harsh on their offspring at times, but at least they had an ounce of likeability.

I've got to say that Joel Nash was a big reason I switched off from Home and Away.

That's a shame that he made you switch off. He definitely didn't have the complexity that Donald had, but he was far more rounded and likable than the patriarch figures than Michael (in my opinion, anyway!) and the ones that came after him like Rhys Sutherland and Tony Holden. Rhys felt like a caricature of an overprotective dad and I just found Tony to be so dull as a character. 

I often wonder where things went wrong with the Nash family - they were introduced as a central new family following Pippa's exit with the aim of instilling them in Summer Bay House. The latter took well over a year and the decision was even made to recast Natalie rather than write her out, which implies there was definitely a long-term plan for them that didn't come to fruition.