Characters that flopped.

Getting inspiration from the thread on Neighbours on their forum are there any characters bought in as the latest H&A hunk or babe that then flopped?

Narelle Smart was branded (apparently) as the new Charlene from Neighbours but she left by the end of the 1988 season.

Grant Mitchell played by Craig McLachlan. He flopped quite early on.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are quite a few who could be deemed as flops, but it depends what definition you use. 

The 1997 teen cast flopped as they didnt manage to stay for long and have substantial stories, in particular Liam, Casey and Tiegan. 

Alex Poulos and Brody were both flops as they generated little interest and in Brody's case, didnt have strong connections to warrant her to stay. 

We recently had Skye and Jordan who both stayed with Maz and John, but neither of them lasted and could be seen as flops from the show's POV.

Spencer and Oscar were also proved as flops due to their vast underutilisation.  

17 minutes ago, joany208121 said:

I think there are quite a few who could be deemed as flops, but it depends what definition you use. 

The 1997 teen cast flopped as they didnt manage to stay for long and have substantial stories, in particular Liam, Casey and Tiegan. 

Alex Poulos and Brody were both flops as they generated little interest and in Brody's case, didnt have strong connections to warrant her to stay. 

We recently had Skye and Jordan who both stayed with Maz and John, but neither of them lasted and could be seen as flops from the show's POV.

Were they meant to be long lasting? Skye maybe, i think Jordan was just a guest character?

Hugo Austin and Brad Armstrong were flops for me (again depends on your definition the word). I just thought both were very boring and from memory did not last long, and when you think about the fact that they were replacement love interests for Martha and Sally after Jack and Flynn, they did not fill their shoes very well (and I was not even big Jack/Martha fan). Though to be fair, when someone's husband or wife gets killed off I don't think many future love interests do well in comparison.

I have to fight Tiegans case for this. She was in it for two years. That's twice as long as characters like emma and Viv. And around the same as tug and Sarah. 

And she developed as a character and had a strong personality. She out of all character felt like a genuine foster child to me and had a lovely relationship with Pippa. Her relationship with Joey was also an unusual one which worked. 

I would say she was a flop but perhaps they just felt she had run her course which is what happens to many

I to think Liam failed and inpact. Also characters like Jude Lawson and Tom Nash. But then that may personal opinion I'm not sure. I think Daria and Sean may have been a flop as they seemed to at first be set up for main characters. 

I agree Narelle was a strange one. And Leanne, she was like a pre cursor to Marilyn. 

Henry Hunter might be deemed to be a flop? 

8 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I have to fight Tiegans case for this. She was in it for two years. That's twice as long as characters like emma and Viv. And around the same as tug and Sarah. 

And she developed as a character and had a strong personality. She out of all character felt like a genuine foster child to me and had a lovely relationship with Pippa. Her relationship with Joey was also an unusual one which worked. 

I would say she was a flop but perhaps they just felt she had run her course which is what happens to many

I to think Liam failed and inpact. Also characters like Jude Lawson and Tom Nash. But then that may personal opinion I'm not sure. I think Daria and Sean may have been a flop as they seemed to at first be set up for main characters. 

I agree Narelle was a strange one. And Leanne, she was like a pre cursor to Marilyn. 

Henry Hunter might be deemed to be a flop? 

I'm not sure either sometimes it's a case of the audience liking one sibling more than the other. Totally the case with Noah & Gypsy.

I love this topic, something I have definitely thought of throughout my time watching

Elijah Johnson- Quite liked him when he first came in as a guest, but his return totally ruined his character in my opinion

Hugo Austin- The interesting thing about Hugo is that I could actually argue that he isn't a flop but instead was actually only meant to be around for a year and totally go from normal to a secret criminal, but if he was actually meant to be something different originally then I agree that he was a flop

Jai Fernandez- He was only around for less than 18 months as a regular character and I just felt that he didn't really fit in too well. His character seemed too boring for the show and I believe that he was written out meaning that the producers probably agreed that he was a flop

Skye Peters- Personally could not stand her. She really wasn't made for the show in my opinion, put her character on a different soap (like one set in more of an urban area) and she might have fit in better. But the Dan Bennett interview almost revealed that her character was a flop when they said that she was rested

14 hours ago, dee123 said:

Jordan I believe was just a guest character, I think he had so much more potential than Skye did so I was quite shocked that he didn't last very long

22 hours ago, joany208121 said:

Se i loved Oscar. But you're right, I don't think anybody knew what to do with him, and Evie had some great storylines. 

Oscar should've been struggling with his sexuality if you ask me. Would've given him so much more.

I thought Spencer was a flop. And unfortunately was in an era of weak teens too which just made him more blah

47 minutes ago, 630si said:

Se i loved Oscar. But you're right, I don't think anybody knew what to do with him, and Evie had some great storylines. 

Oscar should've been struggling with his sexuality if you ask me. Would've given him so much more.

I thought Spencer was a flop. And unfortunately was in an era of weak teens too which just made him more blah

Both Spencer and Oscar were overshadowed by Maddy and Evie. 

Maddy having 453 different boyfriends, thinking she was pregnant, leaving school, re-joining school, working at the gym, her relationship with Roo, having cancer, running away from home (again), having issues with her real parents and then having her arm amputated after an explosion as well as having her ex boyfriend die was way too many big storylines in such a short time for one character, and as such she was always at the front of the show leaving only supporting roles for the other teens.

Archived