Skylover

1996-1999 Storylines

1 hour ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I left school in 1998 and this era was where I was less of a regular than 2 years earlier as so many great characters left. I think their successors such as Casey, Aaron, Liam and Tiegan did not cut the mustard like Shangel, Tug, Sarah and Damo did. I look back now knowing the Shangel era was not going to last forever though and the show had to move on.

Don and Maz, Daz, (I love the couple combos) their marriage hit the rocks in 1998.

This is why it's so perplexing to me that they axed Michael. Just such a stupid decision. He was part of the central family and part of the central partnership of the show. Not only that, Dieter Brummer had just quit and so one of the golden couples was already about to be torn apart. They should have held on to dear life. I presume they felt Alf and Ailsa were more important as they were original characters but even Irene was less important in the scheme of things than Michael and Pippa. Perhaps I'm seeing things through rose-tinted spectacles, I just don't really understand the decision.

Were viewers at the time not shocked/annoyed by Angel and Pippa finding themselves in exactly the same situation a month apart? I couldn't imagine modern Neighbours or Home and Away killing off 2 major characters in similar circumstances like what happened with Angel and Pippa (I know the deaths were different, but by similar I mean leaving 2 characters as widows so close together). Having said all that, Angel and Pippa subsequently bonding over their losses sounds interesting. I'd also love to know the circumstances around Jack's departure - I wonder if he was axed or the actor chose to leave of his own accord. I know Daniel Amalm wasn't happy so it's probably the former.

1 hour ago, Spinach said:

It really is a shame we can't see this era again. Everyone always says the likes of Curtis, Shannon, Selina and Jack were the better teen gang - but when I think about characters like Joey, Tiegan, Casey, Stephanie etc. they seem so interesting to me, so unlike any group of teens Home & Away has dealt with before or since. Maybe they didn't really work out as the producers hoped (for this reason so many of them left so quickly) but I think in terms of backstory and characterisation, they were some of the most intriguing characters I can recall. But also, this was the first era I actually have proper memories of so maybe I'm just being nostalgic...

From what I've seen/read that group of characters are underrated. Liam was apparently a flop but he seems alright in the clips I've seen? One thing I also noticed from the clips I saw was that those characters seemed a lot more unhinged than the earlier teens. Jack and Shannon in particular had a lot of issues but it's like they always knew they were loved and felt safe with Michael and Pippa. The later teens look less settled, closer to what a lot of foster kids are like in real life.

Edited by Skylover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dont know why they axed Michael either. He could have stuck around for years to come. I think that could be why Debra Lawrence decided to leave a couple of years later (unless she was axed herself). The Nashes were OK but I found Joel Nash a poor man's Tom Fletcher.

I know H&A is often compared to Neighbours but at the end of the day they are not a duo, they are not siblings, they are 2 separate shows and both shows are a million miles apart as they have their own separate formats.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I know H&A is often compared to Neighbours but at the end of the day they are not a duo, they are not siblings, they are 2 separate shows and both shows are a million miles apart as they have their own separate formats.

I prefer the early years of H&A compared to early years Neighbours, but modern Neighbours is better than modern H&A.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2017 at 6:38 PM, Matt said:

I've seen quite a lot of Liam, Joey, Tiegan, Casey and Stephanie and later, Justine and Aaron and I very much enjoyed them. Such a strong era that is oft forgotten.

I liked them, I just didn't like the weird story with the voices around the Caravan Park, I can't remember what it was exactly as I never truly understood what was going on. It was something to do with Africa & Aborigines. 

14 hours ago, Skylover said:

I prefer the early years of H&A compared to early years Neighbours, but modern Neighbours is better than modern H&A.

When H&A begun it was so much more exotic and fun than Neighbours which was dingy in comparison.

I seem to remember Stephanie Mboto thinking she was a slave on a ship in a past life.

Joey Rainbow was probably a breath of fresh air as he was not the typical wayward H&A teen, the school bully, stealing gobstoppers from Alf's shop who then becomes well rounded. Joey was a H&A teen who had mental health problems and it was good to see H&A tackle such an issue in teens.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, c120701 said:

I liked them, I just didn't like the weird story with the voices around the Caravan Park, I can't remember what it was exactly as I never truly understood what was going on. It was something to do with Africa & Aborigines. 

Aww, the days when Home and Away was properly weird! (I'm bummed that we just missed out on the Peter Moss storyline, which was some of Sally's best material of the period.I think it literally would have started the next week.) To be honest, I never quite got clear what that Liam and Stephanie stuff was about but it was fun anyway.It did after all give Liam one of the weirdest chat-up lines in television history: "Do you know you sound just like a ghost I once heard?"

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

When H&A begun it was so much more exotic and fun than Neighbours which was dingy in comparison.

If you look at 1997 H&A it seems way more modern and fresh than Neighbours in 1997.

There were some strange supernatural storylines in the mid-late 90s that would seem very out of place in another time period. Someone on the writing team must have had some imaginative ideas that I would love to hear about as I'm sure not everything got passed as plausible for the show. 

I really liked how they delved in to the supernatural world during the 90's, I think some people found it too melodramatic but I think it was totally entertaining. I was also looking forward to the Sally/Peter Moss reincarnation storyline, more so than any other just before the Early Years ended. I think I started to take a lot more notice of Sally's storylines from that point onwards.

It's only OK if people always remember while these supernatural storylines are entertaining, they are based on pure fiction and mythology. Not fact.