1996-1999 Storylines

Skylover

2 hours ago, Skylover said:

Did Joey have any romances?

Yeah, he went out with Tiegan for what feels like quite a while.He had a thing for Casey but that remained largely unrequited.He went out with the daughter of Don Fisher's nanny, who turned out to be HIV positive, but she was only a guest so it didn't last long.

He was of course a mainstay of the beach house for quite a while and had quite strong sibling relationships with Selina and Chloe, and later Will and Hayley, as well as Irene of course.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never a big fan of Casey but if I got a chance to see the episodes now she might not be so annoying.

In an aside, though Edward probably knows this, Louise Crawford now plays the on / off role of Ellen Crabb in Neighbours.

9 hours ago, Skylover said:

That Pippa storyline sounds good. I saw a clip of the OBE on YouTube.

I'm not too bothered about Jesse though I would have liked to have seen the arrivals of Lachie, Hayley, Vinnie, Gypsy and Rebecca, and the return of Saul. From what I've seen Aaron doesn't look too bad, though I remember his arrival being one of the reasons I stopped watching when I was a kid. Even as a kid of like 7 I remember being annoyed by all the departures.

Just can't believe these eps are gonna be on the shelves forever :( 

ETA: Justine looks like a good character.

Spoiler

IMO Bree Desborough was one of the most talented young actors the show has ever had. Just thought she was a very good actress and a heavy storyline to deal with straight away with all the drug abuse. The accusation of killing the baby and the betrayal from her mother was very well played. 

Joey was definitely one of my favourite characters during the late 90's. He also had some pretty big storylines involving Saul and it was through Joey that Saul continued to be a part of the show after Selina left. He started taking hallucinogenic drugs and became mentally ill after a bad episode. That all happened around the 1998 season finale and into 1999 - he ends up attempting to kill Irene due to his paranoid drug induced illness.

I was really looking forward to the Saul storylines during 97-99, I think they were possibly even more gripping than the first one and Saul's character is explored in much greater depth.

When we talk about 96-99 (of which I haven't seen) I get the feeling of a very strong turnover with two completely different casts. We have the new group of Liam, Joey, Casey, Tiegan and Justine and Aaron who take over from Jack, Selina, Shannon and Curtis but then there seems to be little crossover between Hayley, Nick, Will, and Edward and Peta and the Nash family coming in. 

I also feel disappointed that the likes of Rebecca, Harry, Shauna, Mitch aren't spoken about as much as other characters. Is this because they weren't well linked to other characters? or perhaps they weren't given the best storylines?

10 hours ago, joany208121 said:

I also feel disappointed that the likes of Rebecca, Harry, Shauna, Mitch aren't spoken about as much as other characters. Is this because they weren't well linked to other characters? or perhaps they weren't given the best storylines?

I imagine it's because with the exception of Rebecca, they all spent most of their time on the show during the 2000s era. After checking online, they did debut in 1999 but certainly I feel those characters made their impact in the early 2000s.

To be honest I'm not as bothered by the early 2000s. I want to watch the rest of Pippa's time, Selina, Shannon, Curtis, Joey and Pippa's other foster kids, and I'm happy to see some of Hayley and Gypsy's stuff but the show looks like it changed pretty fast over the following couple of years.

I mean I would have carried on watching if the early years reached that far, I would have liked to have seen the Noah and Hayley stuff, but the 90s is something else.

I'm absolutely disgusted to see that Michael was axed! that is completely appalling! Personally I feel that if they had to get rid of one of the older characters to make way for some youngsters, they should have axed Irene, Alf or Ailsa, not targeted the most important family in the show IMO.

57 minutes ago, Skylover said:

I imagine it's because with the exception of Rebecca, they all spent most of their time on the show during the 2000s era. After checking online, they did debut in 1999 but certainly I feel those characters made their impact in the early 2000s.

To be honest I'm not as bothered by the early 2000s. I want to watch the rest of Pippa's time, Selina, Shannon, Curtis, Joey and Pippa's other foster kids, and I'm happy to see some of Hayley and Gypsy's stuff but the show looks like it changed pretty fast over the following couple of years.

I mean I would have carried on watching if the early years reached that far, I would have liked to have seen the Noah and Hayley stuff, but the 90s is something else.

I'm absolutely disgusted to see that Michael was axed! that is completely appalling! Personally I feel that if they had to get rid of one of the older characters to make way for some youngsters, they should have axed Irene, Alf or Ailsa, not targeted the most important family in the show IMO.

But Dennis would have quit in 1998 anyway because Debra was quitting as they were moving away from to Sydney to live in Melbourne to be close to Debra's mum.

Archived