1996-1999 Storylines

Skylover

On 7/16/2017 at 4:52 AM, Skylover said:

This is why it's so perplexing to me that they axed Michael. Just such a stupid decision. He was part of the central family and part of the central partnership of the show. Not only that, Dieter Brummer had just quit and so one of the golden couples was already about to be torn apart. They should have held on to dear life. I presume they felt Alf and Ailsa were more important as they were original characters but even Irene was less important in the scheme of things than Michael and Pippa. Perhaps I'm seeing things through rose-tinted spectacles, I just don't really understand the decision.

Were viewers at the time not shocked/annoyed by Angel and Pippa finding themselves in exactly the same situation a month apart? I couldn't imagine modern Neighbours or Home and Away killing off 2 major characters in similar circumstances like what happened with Angel and Pippa (I know the deaths were different, but by similar I mean leaving 2 characters as widows so close together). Having said all that, Angel and Pippa subsequently bonding over their losses sounds interesting. I'd also love to know the circumstances around Jack's departure - I wonder if he was axed or the actor chose to leave of his own accord. I know Daniel Amalm wasn't happy so it's probably the former.

From what I've seen/read that group of characters are underrated. Liam was apparently a flop but he seems alright in the clips I've seen? One thing I also noticed from the clips I saw was that those characters seemed a lot more unhinged than the earlier teens. Jack and Shannon in particular had a lot of issues but it's like they always knew they were loved and felt safe with Michael and Pippa. The later teens look less settled, closer to what a lot of foster kids are like in real life.

But I think since they wanted more that needed parent more houses to live in so they had Ailsa and Irene  nests for teens to live as well as Pippa. 

So that's why I think they felt Irene had more of purpose. 

Becouse without Irene or Ailsa they are one house sort for teens to live in. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

But I think since they wanted more that needed parent more houses to live in so they had Ailsa and Irene  nests for teens to live as well as Pippa. So that's why I think they felt Irene had more of purpose. Becouse without Irene or Ailsa they are one house sort for teens to live in. 

Killing off Alf or Ailsa would have left the same amount of houses for teens to live in anyway as the other one would have still been around. Plus there was Donald.

The Liam Stephanie time wasnt much of a thing, through must of it we still had Sally, Chloe, Selina Shannon and Curtis. So many much the older group. It wasn't until the time of Shannons exit I felt the next group came into their own.  Keeping on Joey and getting Justine Aaron and tiegan and to some extent Vinnie was a good idea. I only wish Casey had stayed a while longer as I think she had more mileage than Liam and Stephanie. 

So i made an exact breakdown of who went and came in an what order for the rest of 96, and I didnt realise Tiegan arrive so much later than the others. 

Liam Arrives (April 1996) 

Michael Dies (April 1996)

Haydn Returns (May 1996)

Jack Leaves (May 1996)

Jesse Arrives (May 1996)

Steph Arrives (May 1996)

Terri Arrives (June 1996)

Joey Arrives (June 1996)

Chris Hale Leaves (July 1996)

Casey Arrives  (July 1996)

Max Richards Returns (July 1996)

Rebecca Returns  (August 1996)

Haydn Leaves  (August 1996)

Alex Leaves  (August 1996)

Angel Leaves  (August 1996)

Finn Returns (Sept 1996)

Barbra Returns (Sept 1996)

Barbra Leaves (Oct 1996)

Tiegan Arrives (Jan 1997)

1 hour ago, joany208121 said:

So i made an exact breakdown of who went and came in an what order for the rest of 96

Thanks for that list.

I think it's a shame Alex left so early on, he had more to give as a character. And isn't he Joey's half-brother? Shannon and Alex were a good couple but naturally she moved on and had other relationships.

I was also really looking forward to seeing some of Steven and Selina's relationship, I know @chair was too!

Archived