1996-1999 Storylines

Skylover

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/05/2018 at 12:05, cymbaline said:

ultimately pointless, seeing as they had to find Pippa a third hubby afterwards.

that's not the case at all. Pippa remained single and for the remaining years and the character of Ian was only introduced as a love interest to facilitate her exit storyline when the actress wanted to leave.

And it certainly wasn't pointless either as losing Michael changed Pippa quite a lot in the years that followed.

Kind of on the fence here.Certainly they weren't in a rush to pair Pippa up with someone else (there was no third hubby despite what some sources claim), and it did result in Pippa developing a much more pessimistic outlook on life, expecting the worst and being rather overprotective of her charges, but I do think they lost a decent character in getting rid of Michael.

On 21/05/2018 at 20:35, cymbaline said:

Good to see he got a haircut too.  I didn't see the funeral episode when it aired and don't think I'd like to at this stage. I too was annoyed at the time that they killed him off. I still think it was a big mistake and ultimately pointless, seeing as they had to find Pippa a third hubby afterwards. I notice that apart from Haydn, there aren't any returning faces for the funeral. Why no Fin, Damian or Sophie? 

I agree. I see how his death was necessary in some ways, but I'm not happy with it. A 'big' death that isn't Pippa, but would affect almost everybody around him in some way was good for story lines. That was the beginning of the end for me, and I stopped watching regularly after Pippa left (I barely remember Ian) and the final nail in the coffin (pun intended?) was Ailsa being killed off a couple years later.

I may be a Michael & Pippa purist, but they could have left together, eventually. ?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

To me 1988 - 1994 was when the series felt the same all the way through, 1995 - 1999 (I only saw up to early 1996 ?), still felt like 1988 - 1994, but different, a bit like how Prisoner was when Vera left and the Freak arrived or when Bea left in episode 400, the whole show changed, but still felt how it always did. Maybe it's just the theme song, but, to be honest, once 1995's episodes started airing on 7Two, almost the whole vibe of the show changed.

And about the comical storylines, I believe the only comical story from 1995 was Bert King's shenanigans.

Archived