H&A episodes that would have made a great last episode.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some say that H&A should have ended in the 2004 season finale as it was on a high and that finale would have been a good way to end the show similar to when the Trotters became millionaires in Only Fools And Horses in 1996 and Hilda Ogden left in Corrie. The 3 shows I suppose had to go on due to popularity but those moments would have been good for Corrie, OFAH and H&A to end. Those 3 shows are 3 of my fave ever shows TBH.

Corrie was way too popular to cancel in 1987. But then again people liked Crossroads and that got canned a year later! (Talking 1964-88 edition, not 2001-03 crapfest)

Another good contender would have been. #275 with Don and Bobby accepting each other but that'd work more as a seasonal break cliffhanger (the kind Emmerdale used to have until about the mid-80s)

On 7/11/2017 at 7:57 AM, James Martin said:

Definitely the 2004 season finale.  It gave closure to pretty much every story arc.

Ironically, it felt like a true end of the era too. 2005 took the show in a whole new direction with the Stalker, the paternity storyline and the need for big stunts, murders etc. I became less and less engaged and I eventually gave up after Chloe's death. I'd been drifting out ever since Ailsa's death (I still watched it, but I didn't care if I missed episodes etc.), but 2001-2004 still had some good moments and memorable characters. 

I feel like the 2004 finale would have been a good ending for the show. Perhaps the producers could have created a new soap which has similar values to what we've seen since (if that makes sense!). 

However, my vote would go for episode 2855: this was the final episode before the Sutherlands arrived. We had a number of classic characters back reminiscing about the early days and IIRC, we saw Pippa walk through the empty house for the last time being all teary (I might be wrong, it's been years since I've watched it). 

• 2 weeks later...

The Sam/Jack/Martha crap was awful.  I never engaged with Jack & Martha as a couple.  When they remarried and she miscarried in the Olympic cliffhanger later that year, I felt nothing.

Agreed the end of Sally's non-wedding to Kieran would be another good point to end.  That was, however, in the first few weeks of the Channel 5 era - I wonder if Seven set the whole nostalgia-fest up as a way to hook in old-skool viewers?

Archived