Did anyone think Sally and Sam felt more like guest characters in 90s?.

j.laur5

Sally -I know had purpose of growing up on the show and becoming a terrific central character once Sally got older. But in 90s it really felt like Sally was just at a loose end and of more of a supporting prop. Yes Sally did have some  storylines but they never amounted to anything or were never long running.

I know you can say the same about Leah and Irene in the current show but they both seem to have had more storylines in the last year. At least with Leah and Irene they are supporting adult characters. I think if Leah was on the show in 90s she would have had much bigger storylines than Sally.

I think if Sally was not an original character her character would have been axed in the90s.

Sam-I never understood why they kept his character. I know people say because he was cute and everyone loved him but you can say that about any innocent young child. All Sam seem to do in the 1995 season was get Jack into trouble with Michael and  Christopher could easily have been the one for that role. 

Saying he felt like a guest character and that you don't understand why they kept him are two different things. 

Characters don't always have to have big stories throughout their time of the show. Especially if they made in it for an extended period of time. Take Matt for instance. He did very little while there but served a purpose. A chilled out guy, friendly, will chat to other characters about their issues, works in a cafe, the beach is his life. Helped keep the show grounded and a link to realism. Far more people like him in that sort of area than most characters. 

Sam is there because we have a link to Bobby, he's Fishers grandsons. And there's no one else his age. He may not have done much in 1995, but did in other years and will do in the future. if the got rid of Sam in 1995 we would have missed out on a lot 

Given most guest characters usually have a specific purpose or purposes and then they're done, I disagree. Sally/Sam may be under utilised, but they're not guests. Guests can be used more as a plot device than an actual character. And

Because Sally grew up with the show, the writers were afraid to give the character some of the more meaty story lines. Looking at the story lines of Shannon, Selina and Chloe there are many which would have worked with another character, but the writer would not have tried with Sally.

She slept with her first boy later than her contemporaries. Caught in bed with a boy? Just cuddling. Never had a teen pregnancy or scare. Illicit relationship with a teacher? Nope. Rape? Not Sally. Memory of childhood sexual abuse? Never?

That's why there needs to be time limits (say, like 2 years) on child actors. little sally and little samantha far outstayed their welcome. The welcome wears out once the phase in their lives finishes (I nominate approx. the same as other characters, like 2 or 3 years). They could have written little sally out by having her move in with the Keatings (the horse farm couple), and little samantha could have left with his father Greg.

6 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Saying he felt like a guest character and that you don't understand why they kept him are two different things. 

Characters don't always have to have big stories throughout their time of the show. Especially if they made in it for an extended period of time. Take Matt for instance. He did very little while there but served a purpose. A chilled out guy, friendly, will chat to other characters about their issues, works in a cafe, the beach is his life. Helped keep the show grounded and a link to realism. Far more people like him in that sort of area than most characters. 

Sam is there because we have a link to Bobby, he's Fishers grandsons. And there's no one else his age. He may not have done much in 1995, but did in other years and will do in the future. if the got rid of Sam in 1995 we would have missed out on a lot 

I found Matt pointless for his entire time, Adam was pointless after the 1st two years (but had potential) and Sam was there mainly as a foil to facilitate other characters' stories. I like some of Jack and Sam's interactions but I'm not that bothered by Sam as a stand-alone character.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, Old H&A Fan said:

That's why there needs to be time limits (say, like 2 years) on child actors. little sally and little samantha far outstayed their welcome. The welcome wears out once the phase in their lives finishes (I nominate approx. the same as other characters, like 2 or 3 years). They could have written little sally out by having her move in with the Keatings (the horse farm couple), and little samantha could have left with his father Greg.

But they were popular enough with the viewers to be kept on. Kate and Ryan both realised that they needed to do something else eventually, The surf called Ryan and he answered in 2000 thus wound up being a real lifeguard, Kate reached a point where she wanted to be "More than Sally Fletcher".

44 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

But they were popular enough with the viewers to be kept on. Kate and Ryan both realised that they needed to do something else eventually, The surf called Ryan and he answered in 2000 thus wound up being a real lifeguard, Kate reached a point where she wanted to be "More than Sally Fletcher".

2-4 years would be a good run in my opinion as a friend here in the States suggest that the perfect limit. yet fans of course would love to see people stay forever!

And actors find other things as a actress from Canada once told me in a reply "There is more to life than acting!"

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, Old H&A Fan said:

Yeah BUT had Sal left... We wouldn't have had her reach top billing in '98 with that epic shot of her marching around the beach in that sexy LBD which "enhances certain features"... :wub:

Archived