1996 Episode Discussion

Dan F

9 hours ago, beau_t said:

Good point. Leah got along great guns with her father in the early years of Leah. Where did he disappear to?

He hasn't been seen since 2009, and was conspicuous by his absence from Leah's wedding to Zac among other important events, but Leah does occasionally go off to the city to visit her family and her parents sent some money for VJ and Billie last year.

Anyway, made it through the first six episodes of 1996 so...about two weeks behind? For anyone keeping track, ITV started showing the 1996 season on Wednesday March 20th, so a little over nine weeks behind.Jack's storyline with his family got wrapped up sooner than I thought.Shame Kathy didn't stick around instead of joining the legion of forgotten relatives.Nice touch though to mention Jack's brother that he talked about when he first turned up (I swear he was referred to by two different names though) and interesting to see Shannon so defensive of him.I'd completely forgotten the double-twist of what his mother was really after, made her a bit more sympathetic even if she did still choose his stepfather over him.

I'm in two minds about Selina's storyline with Saul.She was affected by her near death experience, which could leave her open to someone like Saul offering her an easy answer.But the characterisation does seem a bit off.I'm tempted to suggest that Tempany Deckert didn't vary her performance enough, playing Selina a bit too "normal", but that's pretty much how it's scripted: On the one hand, Selina's still cautious enough to be asking questions, but on the other she seems to accept a lot of very out there stuff from Saul without much thought.

Similarly, Chloe seemed to suddenly turn into a drug addict between seasons.I wouldn't mind but there really wasn't any indication of it in the episodes at the end of 1995, as if it was decided very late in the day. Still, the mood swings are conveyed really well and it's got a good role for Curtis.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/04/2017 at 7:13 PM, Blaxland 89 said:

Although why she would is beyond me consider she is supposed to have a very loving father as it is. Something that has been long forgotten. Sorry, off topic. 

Totally agreed. She still has loving parents she sees often. :P they've been on the show a few times.

Haha ?- It's never too early for Tim Tams or any type of chocolate!!

Let Maz eat whatever she likes; I think it's lovely to show her as she is portrayed in these Early Seasons of the show!!

The character arcs and the depth to which characters are explored and written as human creatures with all their quirks and foibles and and histories that everything else that makes them who they are really shows a programme making it's its mark on the Australian landscape, quite cleverly ..

As a long term viewer, I do prefer longer running story arcs to be used to bring hard hitting issues of the day home to the viewer.

What sort of timeline does Summer Bay work on? lol It's only been a week or two since Kelly jabbed herself with the needle but its supposed to be two months? 

Did anyone notice Selina getting rid of her old Selina clothes the other day? Made me sad. When is she replaced by someone for a while? Is it this year.

9 minutes ago, EmmaPanda said:

When is she replaced by someone for a while? Is it this year.

Yup, there's a link to the preview article with all the dates in the first post of this thread. That will come in September if there's no transmission breaks.

16 minutes ago, joany208121 said:

Speaking of clothes, Chloe seems to have a full wardrobe of them considering her dad chucked everything away. I think it would have been clever to have her re-work some of old Selina's clothes

She does seem to have quite the wardrobe of fashionable (for the time) clothes. Considering she was supposed to be a bit daggy she has managed quite a bit. We know she isn't getting the clothes from her own money as her cheque thingy hasn't come through yet. I'd have liked to see her in Selina's old clothes but she would have looked very out of place. 

11 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Yup, there's a link to the preview article with all the dates in the first post of this thread. That will come in September if there's no transmission breaks.

Thanks, I'll check that out. 

Another case of storylines in both the Early Years and current eps tending to parallel one another - in this case Irene wanting to look after a baby...

Spoiler

and pleading her case with the officials... (spoiler tag for UK benefit for current eps)

Later this year we'll be getting a guest cast member appearing at the same time in both eras too, though as different characters.

10 hours ago, Dan F said:

Another case of storylines in both the Early Years and current eps tending to parallel one another - in this case Irene wanting to look after a baby...

Reveal hidden contents

and pleading her case with the officials... (spoiler tag for UK benefit for current eps)

Later this year we'll be getting a guest cast member appearing at the same time in both eras too, though as different characters.

I noticed that too.

And it's a bit weird to be seeing Chloe on the Early Years at the same time seeing her daughter in the present show. LOL.

Archived