1996 Episode Discussion

Dan F

On 29/06/2020 at 20:04, Old H&A Fan said:

The viewer is left bewildered as to how those in the H&A world can't see the obvious differences!

When Marilyn had amnesia in 2015 she made a comment of how Irene looks different or something but it was said in a way that seemed more of reference to the recasting. I remember someone pointed out Marilyn had made similar comments before it regards to recasting -Pippa and Roo, maybe? I can't remember but this was like the third time it happened. Maybe just a coincidence.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/06/2020 at 17:41, Old H&A Fan said:

That was the Fake "Pippa", not the real Pippa. The Real Pippa wasn't around when Tom died.

The term "Fake Pippa" made me chuckle because that's what we used to call the Debra Lawrance version. I've never been able to merge the two characters in my mind. The only one of the early foster kids I can picture DebPip being mum to is Sally. That's probably because of Kate Ritchie's age at the time and that she stuck around for so long. To my mind, VanPip just vanished one day and another lady moved into her old house and kept things running.

The Irene one is a curiouser recast. The original Irene was quite rough around the edges and the sort of woman you could easily picture being a horrible drunk and an awful parent. No disrespect to Lynne McGranger but she never exuded the same menace that Jacqy Phillips did. Would Irene 1 ever have become more cuddly?

6 hours ago, cymbaline said:

The term "Fake Pippa" made me chuckle because that's what we used to call the Debra Lawrance version. I've never been able to merge the two characters in my mind. The only one of the early foster kids I can picture DebPip being mum to is Sally. That's probably because of Kate Ritchie's age at the time and that she stuck around for so long. To my mind, VanPip just vanished one day and another lady moved into her old house and kept things running.

The Irene one is a curiouser recast. The original Irene was quite rough around the edges and the sort of woman you could easily picture being a horrible drunk and an awful parent. No disrespect to Lynne McGranger but she never exuded the same menace that Jacqy Phillips did. Would Irene 1 ever have become more cuddly?

I think Lynne McGranger made a pretty scary drunk Irene in 2009 and 2015. 

Then again, in fairness, Lynne was pretty new at acting when she first began H&A so therefore her acting has improved over time, like any person that starts a new job. 

But regardless, Lynne as Irene is probably the 2nd most recognisable person from H&A.  

14 hours ago, cymbaline said:

The only one of the early foster kids I can picture DebPip being mum to is Sally.

That's so weird because Steven had a great relationship with Pippa during the Debra Lawrance years. Their bond had a lot of focus, in both of Steven's stints. Whereas, other than a few scattered scenes, I don't remember Steven and Vanessa's Pippa's bond being focused on all that much.

18 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

I think Lynne McGranger made a pretty scary drunk Irene in 2009 and 2015.

Just in my opinion but Lynne seemed to play a drunk as more of a simpering sad-sack with a short temper that occasionally surfaced, whereas Jacqui's drunk was more out and out nasty, devious and malevolent.

For example when she slapped Annie she was immediately very blubbery and regretful wheras the way Jacqui portrayed drunk Irene, I'm sure she would have slapped any of her kids and thought nothing more of it other than they deserved it for annoying her. I'm not saying 20 years of character development couldn't have played their part, just pointing out the difference.

On 03/07/2020 at 17:56, Old H&A Fan said:

Irene's "recasting" really wasn't that bad: when she first appeared, she looked ugly (like scary) and had a husky voice like a monster drunkard attacking her kids.

Lynne herself basically admitted she was turned out from food poisoning the night before when she rocked  up to Audition lol

Anyway, Recasting is essential if 

A) The actor is leaving and they don't want to lose the character or if they need the character badly which some times backfires (temp Selina, temp Ailsa and temp Mitch, who let's be honest were meh, unconvincing, and terrible at best respectively)

B) The kid in a role doesn't look old enough/believable for upcoming storylines

C) A Younger actor is concentrating on their studies, therefore  needing someone more flexible.

It's not ideal but it's something of a necessary evil, isn't it? I wonder what would the powers that be have done if they knew Pippa #1 would be gone so soon after Tom. Would they have killed the two of them off at the same time and had a new couple move into Summer Bay House to continue fostering the kids and keep the family together?

7 hours ago, cymbaline said:

It's not ideal but it's something of a necessary evil, isn't it? I wonder what would the powers that be have done if they knew Pippa #1 would be gone so soon after Tom. Would they have killed the two of them off at the same time and had a new couple move into Summer Bay House to continue fostering the kids and keep the family together?

So many options if they had...

A) Ben and Carls take on Sal and Chris and either stay put or move West when Ben re-enlists.

B) Ross and Louise come back a with an even stronger claim on Sal (Diana and Derek have since died, no-one knows where the hell Aaron is and Granny Keating's dementia/alzheimers has probably claimed her at this point) and either take her to live with them or buy somewhere nearby, former more likely as they're loaded and actually family.

C) Sal and Chris wind up with the Stewarts, who frankly have enough on their plate with the store, diner and Duncan.

D) Bobby steps up her quest to foster earlier than scheduled.

E) Frank throws his hat in the ring and suggests he and Roo take Sal back to NYC. They're probably doing moderately well enough to afford some help at this point.

Just brainstorming here....

Just as well casting Dennis was a paying gamble!

Interesting takes, those. I was originally thinking in terms of them casting a brand new couple to move into the house. Maybe a long-lost sibling or first cousin of Tom/Pippa who'd swoop in to save the day. As it turns out,  they did well out of the Debra 'n Dennis combo.

Archived