1996 Episode Discussion

Dan F

3 hours ago, early years fan said:

do they still have the relic kombi?:lol:

Ironic that being knocked off his bike didn't kill him, yet something so small like a cut hand did. 

Yeah I think that's the effect they were going for - to show how fragile life is.

I am sure Michael lost the combi in the bush fire. One of the fire fighters tells him "We lost your combi, we couldn't find you to move it" and then there is the sound of an explosion.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhh I've finally got the nerve to watch this weeks episodes. All this foreshadowing. Was it common knowledge that Shane was going to die back in 1996? I remember it happening but I was only 11 in the UK at the time. I don't remember us having the spoilers we have these days.  

TV Week was a weekly serving of spoilers but wonder how far ahead they were. Did they know just a couple of weeks in advance, while storylines are written 6 months in advance???! I knew ahead that Shane was going to die because of TV Week — but not as far ahead as what was really known. I asked in Quick Questions about how far ahead they planned Shane's death instead of just an around Australia trip — but never got a response.

IIRC, the UK was so far behind at the time that we knew Shane was going to die before we saw the motorbike crash. The Internet was in its infancy and I wasn't online yet so I didn't know any details about how he was going to die and was really surprised when he survived the crash.

I'm pretty sure I knew it was coming (although I think the UK was only about two months behind at the time) but I'm struggling to remember when I found out and where I got the details from.I suspect it was another one that I got from flicking through Woman's Own: I do remember getting full details of Angel's departure months in advance, despite Melissa George later being coy about the details when she turned up on a magazine show.I know when

Michael died

I didn't know anything about it until I was flicking through Inside Soap, which came out once a month in those days, so no more than a couple of weeks beforehand, but I'm pretty sure I knew about Shane in advance of that.

I remember Emily Symons being on Live & Kicking before Marilyn's (1995) return mentioning that she was going back and thinking that maybe it wasn't happening as it seemed like years before she turned up on screen in the UK as I think it was before she'd started filming again.

Well its the 2nd time I have had to say goodbye to Shane. I remember the first time I was devastated. But now as I'm older I was sad he didn't get to meet his new child. I know he had Dylan and he was great with him but this child was part of his DNA. 

I think about the storylines now with the teenagers and if you compare Shannon, Curtis, Selina Jack and even Sally to Olivia, Evie, Matt, Hunter VJ to a point because they made him grow up quickly and even when Oscar and Maddie were around the gang back then just seemed to much older than the ones now. If that makes sense. 

Archived