1996 Episode Discussion

Dan F

3 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

Samantha's mental age has remained steady, at about 10 years old. "His" voice still sounds like a childish little girl. That's why I call him Samantha

You're a Sam fan then, Old H&A Fan.

32 minutes ago, Dan F said:

I honestly couldn't work out if Plugger's dancing was supposed to be a parody, it was like something out of a Kevin & Perry sketch! :lol:

I'm guessing that kind of dancing/rapping was cool in the 90s. :lol: I remember all those characters you mention, but I don't remember seeing the actor before.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Skylover said:

You're a Sam fan then, Old H&A Fan.

Hardly! I never wanted him to stay. I wanted him to leave Summer Bay with Greg after Bobby died. In the past, I asked on this forum why he stayed and it seems popular demand kept him there.

I assure you Skylover I was no part of that popular demand!!

4 minutes ago, Old H&A Fan said:

I assure you Skylover I was no part of that popular demand!!

Sorry I was only joking :P 

I'm guessing the show wanted another 'Sally'. I always found it bizarre how the Rosses stole Sam from Fisher. 

On another note, Jack and Sally's relationship was the worst. I'm all for Jack having a story of course but their relationship really brought out the worst in both characters. And Shane and Angel never caught a break after 1995 did they! Just relentless misery, Angel is a nervous wreck. Either way, amazing how much has happened in just 3 years, they both feel like they've been on H&A for much longer than that, the writers did well with them.

ETA: Marilyn, as much as I'm enjoying her, feels like she doesn't quite fit at the moment. She doesn't seem to quite fit in at Irene's and they're still trying to find a purpose for her.

Forgot to mention another piece of useless trivia, the week of Shane's death was quite unique in that all five episodes were both written and directed by the same person - Sean Nash (yup that's where Travis' surname came from).

Whilst a director always covers the whole week, back in those days writers would usually only do two, occasionally three eps max (it's most often a different writer for every ep nowadays).

So to have someone write all five eps, and then direct them, is something that's certainly never happened before now in the EY eps, and I doubt it's happened again since.

Oh and he won an AWGIE award for Shane's death episode, which also won an AFI award for Best Episode in a TV Serial Drama, and also wrote the Donna/Andrew ep in 1995 (which may explain the Archie Roach montages in both eps :P)

11 hours ago, Skylover said:

On another note, Jack and Sally's relationship was the worst. I'm all for Jack having a story of course but their relationship really brought out the worst in both characters. And Shane and Angel never caught a break after 1995 did they! Just relentless misery, Angel is a nervous wreck. Either way, amazing how much has happened in just 3 years, they both feel like they've been on H&A for much longer than that, the writers did well with them.

I agree, I think it definitely brought out the worst in both character. I found myself disliking both Sally and Jack during their relationship - I thought it was pretty horrible to watch and it just felt uncomfortable and jarring because the actors have zero romantic chemistry Imo.

Basically Shane and Angel's story is a romantic tragedy. Started off so innocently and ended up hellish. I didn't quite pick up on it originally and I just loved all of the twists and turns back in 95, but this time around seeing it from Shane's entrance all the way up to his death I've found it all pretty frustrating & depressing to watch it fall apart since they got married. It's been addictive though and for the most part it's been well written and acted. Melissa George has done really well over the past few episodes.

15 hours ago, Skylover said:

I'm guessing that kind of dancing/rapping was cool in the 90s. :lol: I remember all those characters you mention, but I don't remember seeing the actor before.

Of course.....rap and hip hop were all the rage and very cool back then:lol:, and carrying the tape deck around lol

can definitely feel a shift toward more modern times in the show, with computers and more technology, except for the Ross household which seems to be stuck in a time warp with the same old decor, do they still have the relic kombi?:lol:

the whole lead up to Shane's death and the storyline was cleverly planned and written, so unexpected, yet it all ties together with the bike accident, because losing his spleen meant he was unable to fight off the infection.  Ironic that being knocked off his bike didn't kill him, yet something so small like a cut hand did.  

Its quite surreal watching it again 20 years on, still just as sad:( I Liked the way organ donation awareness was brought into it, and good on Angel for consenting to it at such a difficult time.

Its a pity he collapsed in such a remote spot at the lookout, with no one around at first to get help immediately.  In that era when not too many people carried mobile phones to ring an ambulance.

fantastic acting by Dylan at such a young age, he did a great job.  Very moving scenes today with the ashes being scattered off the boat.

good to see Damo back, dreadlocks and all

1 hour ago, j.laur5 said:

How long are Irene and Marilyn overseas?. 

I'm pretty sure Irene said two weeks. :P

How inappropriate that the school headmaster and a teacher moved in with their students! Couldn't they get Ailsa to stay with them? Ailsa is closer to Irene. It just seems really inappropriate to me. And wth to Steven coming into Selina's room? Ewwww.

RIP Shane Parrish. :(

Archived