Does anyone think Bobby and Marilyn felt more like in their 40s?.

j.laur5

The thing I noticed after Carly left was how Bobby and Marilyn seemed to become written like they were in there early 40s I wonder if was down to Bobby and Marilyn just acting more mature as they were hanging out with older women like Ailsa and Pippa.    Or did the PTB decide to treat them like older characters as people have said Marilyn filled the Celia void even though Marilyn was never quite the busy-body like Colleen and Celia were.  

Bobby yes - I think a lot of people have commented on this (I think even Nicolle Dickson herself did? Maybe DanF could clarify. I'm sure I read this somewhere). Marilyn... I would need examples because she was always quite childsh in her first stint in my opinion?

Most 20-something characters in the early years were either written as being older than their years, or just horribly written all together. In fact the Steven/Kelly/Travis setup in the current show is the only one I kind of like and even that isn't entirely believable.

These days it's much more acceptable (in fact it's normal) to be single and care free in your 20s, whereas back then you either settled down and got married and had kids, or you were completely career focused. Neither of which made good TV.

Nowadays you can have 20-something characters who, like the teenagers, are much more selfishly motivated. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just there's no hurry to settle down and be a "responsible adult" as soon as you hit your 20s. Which makes them much better characters to watch as you can do more with them.

Bobby had hit a stale-patch by late 1990/early 1991 in my opinion. The introduction of Sam gave her a new lease of life although it ultimately aged her.

Luke and Roxy living in the beach house should have been young fun characters having a good time and injecting some life into the show but 20somethings like that just didn't exist then (not on TV anyway).

In 1989 Marilyn seem like she 24 years old and by time she left in 1992 she seem like she was 44.

But then on her return in 1995 seem like she was about 30 and then when she left in 1999 she like she was like 48.

But since  her 2009 return she seems like her age in her early 40s!.

On 14/03/2017 at 7:28 AM, beau_t said:

Bobby yes - I think a lot of people have commented on this (I think even Nicolle Dickson herself did? Maybe DanF could clarify. I'm sure I read this somewhere). Marilyn... I would need examples because she was always quite childsh in her first stint in my opinion?

Most 20-something characters in the early years were either written as being older than their years, or just horribly written all together. In fact the Steven/Kelly/Travis setup in the current show is the only one I kind of like and even that isn't entirely believable.

These days it's much more acceptable (in fact it's normal) to be single and care free in your 20s, whereas back then you either settled down and got married and had kids, or you were completely career focused. Neither of which made good TV.

Nowadays you can have 20-something characters who, like the teenagers, are much more selfishly motivated. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just there's no hurry to settle down and be a "responsible adult" as soon as you hit your 20s. Which makes them much better characters to watch as you can do more with them.

Bobby had hit a stale-patch by late 1990/early 1991 in my opinion. The introduction of Sam gave her a new lease of life although it ultimately aged her.

Luke and Roxy living in the beach house should have been young fun characters having a good time and injecting some life into the show but 20somethings like that just didn't exist then (not on TV anyway).

It's funny that everyone just thought Lance and martin as these loser drop kicks when, apart from the extreme silliness, they portray average 20s somethings in a much more realistic way than most. Greg seemed age appropriate. More forced into being more adult because he had a son. Same with Jesse's first stint. Lachie also seemed plausible as a mid to late career minded doctor. I think one of the worse culprit was Sally. She felt like someone in her 20s for a couple in months in 2000 maybe. Making her foster mother and head teacher didn't help

Archived