Interviews

Skylover

9 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Shangel would be in their early 40s now if still around. I did hear that Melissa George is very arrogant about the show that made her famous.

Fair play to her, she's one of the best actresses the show has ever had. Shame she can't be modest about things. I found this interview with her from 1995, she accidentally lets slip about the plane crash, and she's wearing a hat saying she was out the night before and her hair looks a mess. She talks a bit about boyfriends and I get the impression she might have been a little bit of a party-girl in her hey-day

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/20/2016 at 4:44 PM, alexx said:

Some Australian's, particularly in the TV and film industry (and more so in the 80's/90's) cringe at the Australian culture because they're not confident, or uncertain about the Australian identity. In the entertainment industry a lot of actors back then dismissed what was being produced in Australia because they wanted to seem 'above' it (that's how I viewed the situation) for whatever reason, so instead of being proud they just highlighted negative points.

Basically it's a lack of confidence, perhaps a lack of appreciation and a 'rolling of the eyes' because they feel inferior compared to other cultures, which I find embarrassing. Melissa George is probably the most famous for seeming to have a severe 'cultural cringe' moment when it comes to H&A/Australia. It's also probably because back then there was a lot of snobbery about 'soaps' from theatre and film actors. Plus on a cultural level there's a sense that other cultures just view Australian's as a load of 'convicts' which adds to the inferiority complex.

Yes Alexx your point is spot on. Melissa ended up sending an apology and yes they are alot of attitude among many actors about a "soap" and sadly an EX Neighbours made about as bad telling their family they loathe their time yet many actors do have issues sadly with people and the show. I miss the old days seem they were better writing people stayed longer.

I miss the days of THE FLYING DOCTORS of the 80s and SNOWY RIVER of the 90s. as well and both H&A and Neighbours lost something in the past too yet still popular overseas.

Great seeing some great talent from the past.

23 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

Fair play to her, she's one of the best actresses the show has ever had. Shame she can't be modest about things. I found this interview with her from 1995, she accidentally lets slip about the plane crash, and she's wearing a hat saying she was out the night before and her hair looks a mess. She talks a bit about boyfriends and I get the impression she might have been a little bit of a party-girl in her hey-day

Lol. She had to mention she'd been in Paris 

20 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Lol. She had to mention she'd been in Paris 

At least she knows not to upset the fans anymore. When the bloke I knew visited the set a few years ago attending a cast party as his sister had VIP pass he admitted those there where friendly and enjoyed talking to you which was great. Yes like most stars I guess she did enjoy herself back then much like some do today.

• 1 month later...

Nina was the producer / manager who formed "Image" (the pop group with Lance, Martin and Marilyn) to prove that success is all about marketing rather than talent. Stacey left to work for her in LA. I only remember her because of summarising some of her episodes recently.

3 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

Thanks! Sounds like Sandie wasn't keen on sticking in a long-term show at that point.

That is normal anymore. The biggest concern for most Aussie performers is to make a name on a project and then jump at bigger things in the states and become a Heath Ledger or Margot Robbie. Only a few Aussies would never leave due to family as soruces told me.

Archived