AFL Football in Home and Away

CaptainTed84

On the show, sport is a topic that is covered sparingly. It's one of those things that I remembered featured a lot more between 2005-10 (pretty much when Geoff, Aden and Tony were around) but ever since they all departed that year, the only sport that has had storylines since then really which has had storylines sparingly for years is surfing/lifesaving. Sport is one of those things that is occasionally mentioned and heard in the background on the show. The main sports mentioned seem to be surfing, soccer, basketball and footy (rugby league football). But one sport which I am honestly surprised does not get enough air time is the other form of "footy", AFL football. For those who are unaware of AFL Football, it is an Australian made sport that is incredibly popular around the country. It isn't a global sport, however it is known overseas by quite a few people but only professionally played in Australia. Now, the reason why I think the sport isn't featured much on Home and Away is because the sport isn't as popular in NSW which is the state that Summer Bay is located in. NSW is more of a rugby loving state, with them nicknaming the sport footy as it is their main form of football. However, despite all of this the sport has become a lot more popular in that state over the last few years with the 2 NSW clubs both currently being successful, meaning that AFL is a lot more well known in NSW. This makes me think that it could possibly open the door for AFL football to feature on Home and Away as it is set in NSW. I do know that it has featured before on the show, as Rhys Sutherland was a former AFL player. But aside from that it really doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone at all. 

My questions for you people out there are:

Has AFL been mentioned on the show other than when Rhys Sutherland was around? (remember that when residents mention footy they have most likely meant rugby so those times don't really count)

And would you be for or against AFL being used for storylines on the show? (I definitely am for it, I have always loved sport on H&A and feel that AFL deserves to be incorporated into the show in some shape or form)

1 minute ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

Frank can be heard watching a footy match in 1988 as can Tom (we actually see him watching a West Coast game)
Adam watches the 1990 AFL Grand Final (as do Blake and Simon in 1992 for some reason)
Sam wants Bobby to get him in to meet Essendon Star Tim Watson in 1991

Thank you, I just remembered actually that Kyle was an AFL fan. Obviously being from Melbourne it would have been believed that would be a sport he was interested in. Was only briefly mentioned in 2015 but he stated that he preferred it over Rugby League, he also mentioned he was going to show the sport to his unborn child but that was really about it. 

Also when the Braxtons went to Melbourne in 2013, Heath mentioned Collingwood fans but as a joke. Was one of those things that he probably would not have said anywhere but Melbourne

In that part of the world, in real life they'd live and breath Rugby Union. Way too much money floating around for Rugby League. I mean in reality Irene's house (mainly because of it's location) would be worth millions, with an S. But that's a whole another topic.

5 minutes ago, dee123 said:

In that part of the world, in real life they'd live and breath Rugby Union. Way too much money floating around for Rugby League. I mean in reality Irene's house mainly because of it's location would be worth millions, with an S. But that's a whole another topic.

you are very right there. NSW is a big rugby league and union state. They mentioned Union last year I remember

Archived