Characters who are very Similar

CaptainTed84

One thing that I have noticed over the years of watching Home and Away is that throughout all the characters that have come and gone, there are some characters who were so similar in many ways, however they never appeared on-screen together (at least the ones I can think of haven't)

Here are a few that I have thought of

Matt Page/Aden Jefferies

Now obviously, these guys have their differences. For instance, when I think of Aden one of my first thoughts is that he is talented at sports as he was a talented footy player on the show, as oppose to Matt who is more talented on the music side of things. However they share similarities, such as their backstories, their attitudes towards school, the fact that they repeated year 12 in high school, and that they disliked University (those who can't remember that one, Aden declined a Uni offer and Matt dropped out). To me and a few people who I have seen comment this, Aden and Matt are very similar characters. I think it would have been real interesting if Aden had stuck around to the point where he met Matt in 2013/14 because these two guys meeting each other would have been entertaining stuff, especially considering the way Matt was when he first arrived.

Charlie Buckton/Katarina Chapman

This is a fairly obvious one. Both attractive cops and both in love with people who had their careers in jeopardy due to their reputation and previous criminal activity. I can imagine these two being very good friends if they ever met each other.

Flynn Saunders/Sid Walker

Now if people are disagreeing with this I can perfectly understand why. I never really saw much of Flynn's character on Home and Away, however I have seen a few clips of him and that was enough for me to make a comparison of him to Dr Sid Walker. Flynn and Sid remind me of one another purely because in terms of being doctors, they appeared to be similar looking and sounding. Obviously what happened to their characters wasn't very similar at all but just the fact that both looked alike in a way was enough for me to think of them as being similar characters. I think if they met each other they would probably end up good mates. If Flynn never died and Sid still joined the show in 2009, this probably would have happened.

Geoff Campbell/Mason Morgan

When Mason first joined the series, after a few episodes I came to realise that he reminded me a lot of Geoff Campbell. They are both hunks, physically fit and have good hearts. They also have similar ways of talking in a way, it's hard to put it into words but some of the sentences that Mason says I can easily imagine Geoff also saying. If these guys ever met each other, they would probably end up being best mates. Except if Mason was also a footy player, Geoff may injure him like he did with Aden and uh...Brody Morgan, no wait Lachie Cladwell lol.

Kyle Braxton/Brody Morgan

This may appear to be a silly one, and one that many could say soon won't be a similarity but the reason why I believe these two are similar is purely because of their association with Angelos/Salt. First of all, Kyle became manager in 2013, then owner of Angelo's in 2015 and never really looked back. Brody has been the owner/chef ever since he arrived and I can't see Brody selling up to move on to another career throughout his time in the bay so the fact that they both play a big part in the restaurant is why they remind me of one another. Also their friendships with Phoebe, even though Kyle was more than friends with her and Brodie hasn't, the fact that they both get along well with Phoebe is also what makes me think they are similar. Other than that though, there probably isn't too much in common that I can think of but to me it is enough for me to think of them as similar people.

Miles Copeland/Zac Macguire

This one I am surprised to have not seen mentioned by anyone, however I am sure many think this. Both of these guys are English Teachers, both taught at Summer Bay High for a number of years and were both "cool teachers" (Personally, Miles is my favourite teacher from Home and Away with Zac definitely being up there as well). They also both had a strong friendship/relationship with Leah (Miles and Leah were very good friends, later a couple. I think they parted on reasonable terms, whilst Zac and Leah are now married), as well as Leah they also got along with VJ. Miles and VJ were mates pretty much the entire time they were in the bay together, whilst Zac is now VJ's step-dad and they get along well enough. Another thing which wasn't a similarity at first but is now something that they both definitely have in common now is the amount of loved ones they have lost. Miles lost his whole family in a Tsunami, as well as 2 babies in the bay and only really has Sally now and with Zac, ever since moving the bay he has lost his sister-in-law, his brother Ethan, his niece Denny (who ironically showed up because of Ethan's death), his other sister-in-law Hannah and his nephew Oscar. Aside from his wife and step-sons, all Zac really has is Evie as a proper blood relative. I think if these guys both met each other, firstly if Miles randomly met Zac and found out he was Leah Patterson's husband, he would probably be shocked initially but I'd say he would get over it and the pair would become mates, with the combined passion of teaching being the driving force of the friendship. These two meeting each other is honestly not something that I would rule out either, with Zac being set to be a long term character and unlikely to leave anytime soon, and the year 2018 approaching (30th anniversary), this could prompt a return of Miles (the one that I desperately hope happens, would actually be the best thing ever in my opinion) meaning that they definitely would meet each other. I'm calling it right now, it will happen. (well at least I hope so)

Tony Holden/Darryl Braxton

Now this last one may sound like an absolute shocker but here me out. This similarity isn't necessarily based on characteristics, but more their character's journey and development throughout the series. Firstly, Tony arrived with his 2 sons and Brax arrived with his 2 brothers, however the Holden family bond honestly appeared more like a brotherly one as it had just been Tony, Jack and Lucas for a number of years. Secondly, Tony tragically lost his loved one Beth Hunter whilst Brax lost Charlie Buckton. Thirdly, (even though this isn't too much of a similarity when you really think about it), both saw loved ones depart happily, Lucas moved to the City then later the States to become a writer, whilst Heath moved to the City to be with Bianca, fourthly both lost a brother/son and were both around the deceased body, Tony ended up finding Jack's body as it was bleeding out, and Casey ended up dying in Brax's arms. As the result of these deaths, both grieved extremely hard, with Tony almost throwing Angelo off a cliff and Brax seeking revenge on Pirovic. Another thing that happened following the losses of their girlfriends, Tony fell for Rachel and married her, whilst Brax fell for Ricky. Both also had children with their second spouses and ended up leaving the bay happily, the Holdens moved to Boston (near where Lucas lives) and Brax I assume moved somewhere relatively close to Heath and Kyle. They also both lived in the same house, for the same amount of years. Tony lived there from 2006-10, whilst Brax from 2011-15. Those similarities are enough to make me believe that the writers have shaped up Brax and Tony to both be similar in the fact that they were both family men. Now obviously both had their extremely distinct differences, with Brax going to prison a couple of times but there was definitely the similarities that I have stated which makes me think of them as similar characters. I think it would have been interesting to see both of these guys on-screen together, it's something I struggle to imagine honestly. I think they probably would have gotten along well though, maybe not when Brax first arrived but overtime definitely a possibility. 

What's everyone's thoughts on these? Can you think of any others? Also who do you prefer out of the two?

My preferences are:

Matt, Charlie, Sid ( wins by default even though I always genuinely liked his character), Geoff, Kyle, Miles, Tony (just, I love Brax and pretty much every Braxton but Tony is an all-time favourite)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Brody as having many more similarities with Miles to be honest. There's something about the way that he behaves that reminds me of him. Maybe it's the fact that he's a really well developed, well rounded character, who can actually be friends with people of the opposite sex and not spend his whole time trying to get them into bed. He's funny and a little bit goofy (bringing some much needed comedy to the show that we haven't had for a while), but he's not a clown either. There's a sensitive aspect to his character too that makes you really care about him. We haven't had a character with this much depth in a long time. I can't help thinking that he and Miles are actually very similar. Much like Miles, when Brody falls for someone, he falls hard, and he runs around the place making a total fool of himself. It's this lack of prowess that makes them both very likable. For me, Brody is a really hot version of Miles! :wub:

I suppose there are some similarities between Aden and Matt, but I think their back stories were significantly different, and Aden was much more of a tortured soul as a result. There was always a sense of how much pain and hurt Aden was carrying around with him. It never felt like he was ever really happy, even when things were good for him and Belle. He was just too damaged. Whereas Matt seems like a much better adjusted individual (now) but then he didn't have quite as much baggage to begin with. Neglect is not quite on the same level as neglect combined with long term sexual abuse (and a father who knowingly let it happen). But yes, I suppose they both did go through that same character arc of 'bad boy with troubled past turns good once the truth is out'.

Charlie and Kat? Yep, nearly carbon copies at this stage, although for some reason I find Kat much more annoying. 

Tony and Brax? Em.... No. I really can't see any similarities personality wise. 

1 hour ago, Ludub said:

I see Brody as having many more similarities with Miles to be honest. There's something about the way that he behaves that reminds me of him. Maybe it's the fact that he's a really well developed, well rounded character, who can actually be friends with people of the opposite sex and not spend his whole time trying to get them into bed. He's funny and a little bit goofy (bringing some much needed comedy to the show that we haven't had for a while), but he's not a clown either. There's a sensitive aspect to his character too that makes you really care about him. We haven't had a character with this much depth in a long time. I can't help thinking that he and Miles are actually very similar. Much like Miles, when Brody falls for someone, he falls hard, and he runs around the place making a total fool of himself. It's this lack of prowess that makes them both very likable. For me, Brody is a really hot version of Miles! :wub:

I suppose there are some similarities between Aden and Matt, but I think their back stories were significantly different, and Aden was much more of a tortured soul as a result. There was always a sense of how much pain and hurt Aden was carrying around with him. It never felt like he was ever really happy, even when things were good for him and Belle. He was just too damaged. Whereas Matt seems like a much better adjusted individual (now) but then he didn't have quite as much baggage to begin with. Neglect is not quite on the same level as neglect combined with long term sexual abuse (and a father who knowingly let it happen). But yes, I suppose they both did go through that same character arc of 'bad boy with troubled past turns good once the truth is out'.

Charlie and Kat? Yep, nearly carbon copies at this stage, although for some reason I find Kat much more annoying. 

Tony and Brax? Em.... No. I really can't see any similarities personality wise. 

Brody and Miles, interesting. I can definitely see where you're coming from however it's not the first thing that came to mind. But yeah, they both have similar traits, I guess what made me compare Miles and Zac was instantly because of them both being cool teachers, their relationships with Leah and their presence in Summer Bay House. 

What I mean by the backstories being similar is that Aden's mother died and Matt's walked away, and both fathers were alcoholics. But yeah you are right, Aden had a significantly different aspect with the grandfather abuse which I actually completely forgot about when typing this, however aside from that they are similar.

With the Tony and Brax thing, it was more what they went through was almost identical in terms of key events regarding their families and the fact that they both left happily with their second partners and newborn child. Obviously Tony and Brax have massive differences personality wise which are too obvious to mention, however one thing they did have in common was their love and care for brothers/sons. Basically in other words I thought of Brax as a more violent version of Tony if it makes sense. I probably can't explain my thoughts on this well enough honestly, but there is just something about Tony and Brax that make me think of one another as in a way similar. But yeah, I understand why you can't see any similarities.

What's interesting about Charlie and Kat is the "crooked cop" part of Charlie's character only properly occurred in 2011, which was her final full year on the show. With Kat it pretty much started in 2016, her second year of probably 4-5 as I can see her character definitely still being around in 2018, maybe 2019. I definitely 100% prefer Charlie, maybe because she wasn't crooked until later is potentially why.

Also who were your favourites out of the people I have compared? (and the comparison you made as well)

Aden (if I have to choose, I don't want to),

Charlie (although I didn't like her either so she only really wins by default),

Flynn (because he was just a much nicer person than Sid),

Geoff (because Mason is unbelievably creepy and makes my skin crawl),

Kyle (but this is a hard one. I love Brody too) 

Miles (because Miles is one of the best characters the show has ever had... ever.)

Brax (because Tony never made much of an impression on me at all)

5 minutes ago, Ludub said:

Aden (if I have to choose, I don't want to),

Charlie (although I didn't like her either so she only really wins by default),

Flynn (because he was just a much nicer person than Sid),

Geoff (because Mason is unbelievably creepy and makes my skin crawl),

Kyle (but this is a hard one. I love Brody too) 

Miles (because Miles is one of the best characters the show has ever had... ever.)

Brax (because Tony never made much of an impression on me at all)

Any others you can think of?

Many have said Cassie and Ruby, which is definitely one I can agree with

Ric and Ash maybe, just because they are tough men and mechanics really.

I would say Brax and Ash, but they have met each other which doesn't matter very much but every other similarity is of characters that have never met

Brax and Ash are essentially the same character - even their nick names are the same - first syllable of their surname. Almost everything Brax would do for Casey, Ash would do for Billie. They both have dead brothers.

There are many oft repeated tales. I guess there would be some consensus if we were asked if they did this type of story, with this cast group who would they chose. There is usually a goody two shoes in a teen group, most of them have a big rebellion phase and you could swap quite a few of them around and they would work just as well. The Curtis/Laura story line shown recently on the Early years could have worked with Oscar or Lucas.

11 minutes ago, harrietjames said:

Brax and Ash are essentially the same character - even their nick names are the same - first syllable of their surname. Almost everything Brax would do for Casey, Ash would do for Billie. They both have dead brothers.

There are many oft repeated tales. I guess there would be some consensus if we were asked if they did this type of story, with this cast group who would they chose. There is usually a goody two shoes in a teen group, most of them have a big rebellion phase and you could swap quite a few of them around and they would work just as well. The Curtis/Laura story line shown recently on the Early years could have worked with Oscar or Lucas.

Technically Lucas went through the same thing with Lisa, was slightly different though because she wasn't a student on exchange but she also ended up dying tragically when they were a couple. I really wish that didn't happen because Lucas left shortly after to go to Uni and they could have left together. But you're right, could definitely imagine Oscar, Xavier, Jai or Dexter going through the same thing

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:33 PM, CaptainTed84 said:

Brody and Miles, interesting. I can definitely see where you're coming from however it's not the first thing that came to mind. But yeah, they both have similar traits, I guess what made me compare Miles and Zac was instantly because of them both being cool teachers, their relationships with Leah and their presence in Summer Bay House. 

What I mean by the backstories being similar is that Aden's mother died and Matt's walked away, and both fathers were alcoholics. But yeah you are right, Aden had a significantly different aspect with the grandfather abuse which I actually completely forgot about when typing this, however aside from that they are similar.

With the Tony and Brax thing, it was more what they went through was almost identical in terms of key events regarding their families and the fact that they both left happily with their second partners and newborn child. Obviously Tony and Brax have massive differences personality wise which are too obvious to mention, however one thing they did have in common was their love and care for brothers/sons. Basically in other words I thought of Brax as a more violent version of Tony if it makes sense. I probably can't explain my thoughts on this well enough honestly, but there is just something about Tony and Brax that make me think of one another as in a way similar. But yeah, I understand why you can't see any similarities.

What's interesting about Charlie and Kat is the "crooked cop" part of Charlie's character only properly occurred in 2011, which was her final full year on the show. With Kat it pretty much started in 2016, her second year of probably 4-5 as I can see her character definitely still being around in 2018, maybe 2019. I definitely 100% prefer Charlie, maybe because she wasn't crooked until later is potentially why.

Also who were your favourites out of the people I have compared? (and the comparison you made as well)

Charlie was just fun character to watch as she took her job so seriously at first!.

Archived