80s vs 90s era?.

j.laur5

The three  eps of Nabes she was in  were yanked from "A Globally Popular Filesharing site" (Read Between the lines) but the last one can be found on "Another Globally  Popular Filesharing Site" (Quality may not be all that)

Now, I need to know was it 1998 or 1999 that Irene blew her stack at Di for that gaffe?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/11/2016 at 11:46 PM, j.laur5 said:

I really didn't like how "cartoon like" characters were in the 80s like Morag/Celia/Lance/Martin.

I'd add Marilyn. Floss and Neville to that list too actually. I agree we did have some "cartoon-like" characters as you say, but they were balanced out by "straighter" characters (e.g. Steven, Carly, Frank, Tom, Pippa, Ailsa, Fisher, Bobby etc.) and hard-hitting storylines such as Carly's rape and subsequent drinking, the Barlow family saga and the Frank/Roo relationship. I was also a big fan of Phillip and Stacey, and I think it's a shame they didn't stay longer and become regular characters.

I preferred the 80s. I think the deciding factor for me was that I couldn't stand Michael and Pippa #2, whereas I loved Tom and Pippa #1. I think I would have enjoyed it more if the show was pretty much exactly the same, but with Roger Oakley and Vanessa Downing still at the helm (if that makes sense!). I also found there was a greater balance of comedy and drama in the 1980s, which probably stopped once characters like Lance, Martin, Morag and Celia left and were replaced by personality-less Ben, Grant, Matt and Adam.

I think things picked up again around 1994ish, once the producers had established that teen group, and stayed great until the end of 2000, but mid 1990 through to 1994 was really dull in my opinion, which really lowered my opinion of the 90s as a whole.

I only started watching in the early 2000's. I am 28, so was only around 8 or 9 in the mid 90's. But having seen a bit of 80's and 90's. As most shows i prefer shows that find their feet, more assured. So prefer the 90's in story writing and in style (Shannon imo was the best teen character with Sally the show ever saw). The lifestyle and culture was more evident in the mid 90's especially. 1996 Home and Away one of it's best years 2000 maybe the shows best ever year. As it is Home and Away only existed in the 80's, for two years, from 1988-1989. More years to choose from, in the 90's. Based on just characters alone, I think I like the 90's characters better. Based on watching the Early Years, more relatable, and consistent with the culture I prefered. 

7 hours ago, adam436 said:

I'd add Marilyn. Floss and Neville to that list too actually. I agree we did have some "cartoon-like" characters as you say, but they were balanced out by "straighter" characters (e.g. Steven, Carly, Frank, Tom, Pippa, Ailsa, Fisher, Bobby etc.) and hard-hitting storylines such as Carly's rape and subsequent drinking, the Barlow family saga and the Frank/Roo relationship. I was also a big fan of Phillip and Stacey, and I think it's a shame they didn't stay longer and become regular characters.

I preferred the 80s. I think the deciding factor for me was that I couldn't stand Michael and Pippa #2, whereas I loved Tom and Pippa #1. I think I would have enjoyed it more if the show was pretty much exactly the same, but with Roger Oakley and Vanessa Downing still at the helm (if that makes sense!). I also found there was a greater balance of comedy and drama in the 1980s, which probably stopped once characters like Lance, Martin, Morag and Celia left and were replaced by personality-less Ben, Grant, Matt and Adam.

I think things picked up again around 1994ish, once the producers had established that teen group, and stayed great until the end of 2000, but mid 1990 through to 1994 was really dull in my opinion, which really lowered my opinion of the 90s as a whole.

One could argue Grant was ostensibly a more Mature Henry Ramsay but with much less of a fanbase and Ben was a hothead due to his "fiery" Italian lineage. Adam had bags of personality and had plenty of clown moments, Matt was a charisma vacuum and was only really a foil to Adam and kept on for continuity's sake.

Roger and the Producers clearly didn't get on (hence the 50 ep break after Tom's heart attack), Also Vanessa was apparently "It's not the same without Roger, so I'm out".

On 13 November 2016 at 5:55 AM, adam436 said:

I agree, having just watched 1988-1995 from the repeats, 1990-1993 is by far the weakest. 1988, 89, 94 and 95 are excellent.

ETA: I think Adam's predictable storylines which went round in circles affected quite a lot of those years.

Archived