Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

j.laur5

80s vs 90s era?.

Recommended Posts

What era of H&A do you prefer 80s or 90s

I like the 90s better as the characters and storylines are better. I really didn't like how "cartoon like" characters were in the 80s like Morag/Celia/Lance/Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a show begins it start out with mistakes yet given time improves. I too like the 90s. Now days things are so different I think we so use to a time we love its hard to forget the days that never come again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There wasn't really enough of the 80s despite the show starting production in 1987 and the 1989 production Season running into early 1990.

However, The only real cartoon characters from the 80s were Floss, Neville, Lance, Martin and Marilyn. The last one eventually evolved over time. Celia could be funny if playing off the right person (Alf, Morag, Don, Bobby, Stacey).

Floss and Neville could have hung around another Year but it was clear by the end of 1988, they weren't part of Des Monaghan's vision of H&A when he took over from Bateman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to choose 1980s or 1990s I think I would go for the 1990s as the show was on throughout the entire decade and 1993-1997 was fab. I love both 1980s and 1990s H&A in terms of episodes, and well into the Noughties.

The show had started filming in July 1987 but had over 2 years of development prior to that. Bateman was a man who liked to allow a couple of years for any of his shows to develop so they were pristine once they aired.

H&A was chosen as the replacement for Neighbours/Sons & daughters on Ch7 in late 1986 but had been in development for ages before that. The show was around throughout half of the 1980s if you add the "gestation" period 1985-1987.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh. Interesting debate. I'll have to think hard on this one. 

I love the 80s. Simply because of the eightiesness. The fun characters. Being what Home and Away was iniatally was supposed to be about. And i actually like the animated characters. 

But my goodness. The 90s. Had the golden age. And I'm also a big fan of the so called "dip". 97-99. The young talent of Bree Desborough, Kristy Wright Alex O Han, Ryan Kwnanten I found very impressive. 

I honestly think the writing was at it best late 88 early 89. It was above soap writing. Morag, Celia , Fisher were incredible during this time.  You compare Morag's dialogue to the 93 stint you'll see the 80s is far superior. 

However the 90s out weigh the 80s in time so there is  more to go on. 

I dont know. Love it all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

You compare Morag's dialogue to the 93 stint you'll see the 80s is far superior.

The whole Morag storyline in 1993 could have been so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Oooh. Interesting debate. I'll have to think hard on this one. 

I love the 80s. Simply because of the eightiesness. The fun characters. Being what Home and Away was iniatally was supposed to be about. And i actually like the animated characters. 

But my goodness. The 90s. Had the golden age. And I'm also a big fan of the so called "dip". 97-99. The young talent of Bree Desborough, Kristy Wright Alex O Han, Ryan Kwnanten I found very impressive. 

I honestly think the writing was at it best late 88 early 89. It was above soap writing. Morag, Celia , Fisher were incredible during this time.  You compare Morag's dialogue to the 93 stint you'll see the 80s is far superior. 

However the 90s out weigh the 80s in time so there is  more to go on. 

I dont know. Love it all. 

 

I only saw that period as a dip due to some of the teens Teens being hit and Miss, ITV butchering episodes and outright quitting promotion and the loss of Pippa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

I only saw that period as a dip due to some of the teens Teens being hit and Miss, ITV butchering episodes and outright quitting promotion and the loss of Pippa.

 

Yes. I'm just hoping if the repeats get to that far people may look at that period a little kinder. ITV did ruin a lot of it. Pippa going was a blow too. But I did like how they didn't try and replicate the previous teens. I just wish the new group were given the opportunity to grow a little more before the new 2000 era. Justine for example. Anyway, I liked the humour in the 80s. We still had humour in the 90s but not to the same degree. Thought Diana turning up drunk on Irene's doorstep makes up for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diana had her moments I guess. I always liked that James, albeit younger, had more balls than Lachie when it came to dealing with her meddling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.