Waking Up In Vegas

Phoebe

Matt's right in that neither of them should be hung up on someone who chose not to be with them (especially when at least one of those people wasn't that nice anyway), but he's going to have a hard time forcing Evelyn to stay married to him, at least in anything other than the legal sense.He'll just have to hope she likes the idea once she's thought about it!Looking forward to more.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you pembie, ~JarlieFanEver~, Ludub, Red Ranger 1 and Kristen for the comments, I'm really appreciative :)

There's a little bit of confusion around the title and where Evie and Matt were in the fic. The title comes from a Katy Perry song about waking up hungover in Vegas with little to no memory of the night before and there's a line in it about getting married so I thought it would suit the story. Matt and Evie got married in Yabbie Creek, just imagine that Yabbie Creek has a little chapel or something :P I hope you all enjoy this chapter :) 

Chapter Three

Evie stayed in the same spot for what could have been hours. She just stared at the place where Matt's car was parked before he sped off and tried to comprehend what was happening. She was married to her best friend. When Matt had come around to her house the day before yelling about how school was over and how considering terrible the year had been they deserved a drink Evie didn't know what would happen. She didn't know that she would wake up in the next town over in the same bed as Matt with a new last name, if she had've known that she wouldn't of answered the door for him. She sighed and walked up the front steps of her house and unlocked the door with her key that she surprisingly didn't lose while she was out getting married. She closed the door behind her and walked into her room and laid down on her bed and sighed in relief. She closed her eyes and tried to turn her brain off so she could get some amount of sleep. No matter how hard she tried she couldn't stop thinking about what had happened. She was no longer Evelyn MacGuire, she was Evelyn Page, it said so on the folded certificate of marriage. She shot up in bed and placed her head in her hands and tried to stop herself from crying, she was stronger than that. She took a deep shaky breath and got up from her bed and left her room giving up on sleep. She needed a coffee, it wouldn't fix everything but it would help the pounding in her head. She entered the kitchen to see Billie leaning against the counter for support with her eyes closed. All of her worries left her mind as soon as she saw her best friend like that.
"Bill? Are you okay? What's going on?" Evie walked up next to her and placed a hand on Billie's back to try and help her. Billie straightened up immediately and turned to glare at Evie. Evie removed her hand from Billie's back and took several steps backwards. Billie was shaking her head and looking at Evie like she was a child that had just tried to steal a chocolate bar. Billie had a hand resting on her swollen stomach and her eyebrows were furrowed together.
"You said you'd be gone for an hour and that you'd let us know when you were leaving. You were gone for almost 24 hours and you've been unreachable this whole entire time. Kat is on her way to call a search party while Phoebe has been going around to every bar and club that you could have possibly gone to to see if you were there last night. Where were you? Why didn't you contact us? I'm almost nine months pregnant I don't need this Evie," Evie had never seen Billie so mad or heard her yell so loud before. Evie didn't know how to feel, she was upset about the whole situation, she felt guilty about causing so much trouble but she was also mad that her roommates were all treating her like a child that had runaway from home and returned for tea. Evie closed her eyes and took a deep breath to try and calm herself down. She opened her eyes again to find they were blurry with tears. She wiped them away and sniffed.
"I'm so sorry that I worried you all but I'm not a little kid anymore. I can fend for myself, I was fine. I wasn't even that far away, I ended up in some motel in Yabbie Creek without my phone but with everything else luckily. If I could've contacted you I would've I promise," Evie said as she wiped the rest of her tears away. Billie pursed her lips together and then wrapped Evie in a tight hug. Evie cried into Billie's shoulder. She cried because she had upset the general happiness in her household, she cried because her friendship with Matt was relying on whether or she stayed married to him, she cried because she was 18 and married and didn't want to be. Billie rubbed her back silently without any questions. Evie eventually stopped crying, although she felt like she could keep going forever. Billie pulled away and gave her a small smile.
"I'll makes some calls to Phoebe and Kat and then you're going to tell me why the waterworks were flowing before they get here okay?" Billie patted her on the shoulder and then walked away with her phone in her hand. Evie didn't know how she was going to explain everything to Billie when she wasn't really sure as to what happened herself. She couldn't even tell Billie where they got married that's how much she didn't know. Evie stood up and boiled the kettle so she could have the coffee she wanted earlier. There was a knock on the front door, Evie hesitated and then sighed as she walked over to the door and opened it. Standing on the other side of the screen door was Matt with her phone in his hand.
"You have my phone," she stated. Matt nodded and opened the screen door. He held her phone out to her and she took it. "Thanks Matt," she said. She closed the screen door hoping that he would take the hint and leave. She had her hand on the front door and was mid swing as Matt called out.
"Evie wait a second," he yelled. Evie sighed and pulled the door all the way open again. "I'm sorry that I'm being such a jerk about this. It's just this morning when we figured it out once the initial shock passed I couldn't help but think that it could work. When you mentioned annulment I should've just agreed to it so everything could go back to normal but my gut was telling me that I shouldn't let that happen and I still feel that way, that's how I know it wasn't just the hangover. I hope you can look pass my jerkiness long enough to really think about how good this could be. I'll let you go now, I just wanted to say that and give your phone back to you," Matt waved and then turned around and walked to his car without another word. Evie gulped and closed the door as he drove off. She leaned against it and watched as Billie walked down the hallway with her phone in her hand. Billie stopped when she saw Evie.
"Do you want to talk here?" Billie asked. Evie nodded so Billie stood beside her and leaned against the door as well. Billie looked at Evie expectantly. Evie considered giving as much detail as she could, like soaking a band aid before ripping off, but she had always been the 'rip it off quickly' type of person.
"Matt and I got married last night and get this, he doesn't want a divorce," Evie laughed bitterly. Matt wasn't just doing something jerkish, he was possibly ruining her life and was definitely ruining their friendship. It didn't just make her upset, it made her mad as anything and she still couldn't see where he was coming from. How was getting married meant to mend the hole in her heart left by Josh? The fact that he turned out not to be the nicest person didn't mean that the love she had for him didn't exist. Did she hate him for doing what he did? Yes, yes she did. Did she want him to go to the police and pay for what he did? Yes she did but at the same time she wanted him to be there with her. If Josh had of asked her to come with him she would of without a second thought, how was she meant to just drop that kind of love and be with someone else? She also knew that if Oscar was still alive he would be telling her to get out of the marriage as quick as she could, he would say that being married would get the way of her plans for the future and that if Matt really cared for her he would understand and wait for her to be ready. Billie hadn't said anything, it had been nearly five minutes since Evie dropped the bomb and she still hadn't said a word. "Bill? Any input?" Billie took a deep breath.
"I know this isn't really anywhere near the same situation but when I found out I was pregnant I couldn't think of anything worse and then I figured out that the baby was VJ's (A/N: In this VJ is the dad because I said so 
:P ) I almost had a heart attack. The one thing that ran through my head was a kid having a kid. I would of rathered anyone else be the dad than him. Then he begged me to give him a chance and for some reason I said okay and I am so grateful for that moment because it has brought me so much happiness. I love VJ and our baby so much it's insane, and to think that I could've done something to stop those two coming into my life makes me sick. I'm not saying that if you say no to staying married to Matt that you'll regret, all I'm saying is that you could end up regretting it. I know that's kind of the opposite to what you wanted to hear as it really doesn't help you come to a definite answer but what I suggest is you take a few days to sort everything out in your head. Make one of those cliche pros and cons lists if you have to. Know this, no matter what you decide everything will be okay," Billie nudged her with her shoulder and smiled. Evie laughed.
"Pro, I don't hate him," Billie laughed and nudged Evie again.
"Hey there you go, you're already one step ahead of most married women," Evie snorted and slid down the door so she was sitting on the floor
"Con, he skateboards," Billie cringed and slid down the door also. Both girls leaned their heads against the door laughing. Evie stopped and took a deep breath. "I really don't know Bill, he's one of the best friend's I've ever had and I don't want to lose that. If I stayed married to him we'd end up arguing like John and Marilyn in no time, if I don't marry him he'll hate me. I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't. It's times like this I really wish that Oscar was here, he always knew exactly what to do and say. I miss him Billie," Evie rested her head on the pregnant girl's shoulder and sighed loudly.
"We all miss him Eves. He's the reason I gave VJ a chance, he told that nothing really bad could come out of trying and then he said if the baby was a boy we have to call it Oscar Jr to say thank you for all of his help. He loved you Evie, you were his favourite person in the whole entire world I'm certain of it. If he was here right now he'd hug you and say that he'll support you no matter what you decide, and he'd probably offer to punch Matt in the nose for you too. I know it's hard with him gone Evie but he would want you to be happy and living your life," Billie was right and Evie knew that but what she said was easy to say not so much to do.
"I know you're right Bill, but it's just been so hard since he passed away and this just adds another layer of difficult to the cake that is my life and I would like to be able to just take it off and put it in the bin never to be touched again," Billie nodded her head in silence. The girls stayed like that, both of them lost in thought.

Ohhh, I absolutely loved this chapter. Billie talking about Oscar like that kind of brought him back for me in a way. So lovely. You write them all so well. Pro: Matt is just dreamy, with very pretty eyes, and a fantastic sense of humour. Con: He is a little bit crazy to think they should  just stay married because 'eh, they might as well' 

Looking forward to the next chapter x

I loved the line about Evie somehow not losing her door key while she was off getting married Also the line about her life becoming a cake and wishing she could bin it :lol:

Very sweet chapter with dreamy Billie helping Evie out and chatting about Oscar.

Matt may have to give in he can't really have a one sided relationship

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Kristen, Ludub, pembie, Red Ranger 1 and ~JarlieFanEver~ for your comments! I hope you're all enjoy the fic so far!

I'm sorry that it's taken so long to update I've been fairly busy lately with it being the end of the school year and the end of my high school career!

Chapter Four

Evie managed to escape her three smothering roommates, she said something about needing more shampoo and ran out the front door before any of them could stop her or offer to go with her. She pulled into a parking space close to the track down to the beach and sighed. She got out of the car and slipped her shoes off her feet and made her way down the sand covered track. she walked along the water's edge with her shoes in her hand looking down at her sand speckled feet. Billie had made a really good point, their marriage could be the best thing to happen to her, but it could also be the worse thing to happen to her. She was meant to marry Josh, the only boy she had ever truly loved. He may never of got her a proper ring but she was planning their future together from the second the handmade wire ring was put on her finger, she wasn't doing that with Matt. Part of her was still hoping one night she would hear a knock at her window and see Josh staring back at her. In her dreams he climbs through the window and begs her to come with him after saying how sorry he is for what he did, in the end they drive away in his car and Evie had never seen herself look so happy. The truth was that Josh had made his decision the day of his trial when he got in that car with Andy, Evie just hadn't accepted that yet. Josh wasn't always the nicest to her, he was a hot head with a tendency to blow everything out of proportion. Being with him wasn't easy, Evie knew that, she knew that while they were still together and he wasn't committing murders. Matt treated all of his girlfriends the best he possibly could, he moved out of his beloved caravan for Maddy, he was prepared to be her carer just so she would stay in the bay. Josh couldn't even tell Evie the truth half the time. Josh was always hiding something, there was always a part of him that he didn't show. Evie had forgotten what is was like to be treated the way a girl should be. Her relationship with Tank was even worse than her relationship with Josh. Tank was exciting, Evie never knew what was going to happen next. It was exhilarating. Exhilarating quickly turned into terrifying and Evie vowed never to let anything go that far again. Evie needed something solid, something that wasn't going to come crashing down on top of her. Evie didn't know what to do, she was stuck. She knew that Matt could be exactly what she needed, but she couldn't bare to think about what could happen if that wasn't the case. What if Matt wasn't as stable as she thought? What if they only worked as friends? What if the two of them just didn't click? But what if they did? What if they decide to stay together and they're perfectly happy and then Josh shows up one night and asks Evie to runaway with him? She would go with Josh and tear Matt's heart in two and she couldn't do that, not to Matt. Evie sighed and turned around and started walking towards the path back up to the road. She brushed the sand off her feet and got into her car and drove until she was outside the diner. She ran up the steps to the house Matt and Roo shared two at a time and knocked on the door loudly. Matt opened the door and let Evie in without a word. She sat on the couch and took a deep breath.
"If Josh was to show up on my door step right now and tell me how much he loved me and missed me and how he wanted me to runaway with him and Andy I would without even thinking about it. I would pack my bags with nothing other than Josh on my mind. I know you could very well be the best thing for me, part of me thinks that I'm doing the wrong thing here but I just can't be with someone when I would still do anything to be with Josh again. It wouldn't be fair on you, or me. I know this isn't what you want but I'm begging you, please try and understand where I'm coming from. You are a great guy Matt, I wish I was in a better place so I could give you a chance. But I'm not, so I can't. You deserve better than someone who is only half in it so because of that our marriage needs to be annulled. We can still be friends, I'll still be here for you and I'm hoping you'll still be here for me but only as friends. I'm sorry Matt," Evie blurted out. Matt was next to her on the couch with his hands in his lap and his head facing the floor. He didn't speak and he refused to look up at her. The butterflies in her stomach had started to make her feel sick and he still wasn't speaking. "Matt say something. You have to understand where I'm coming from," Matt looked up at her and shook his head.
"I understand where you're coming from 100%, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. If Josh wanted to be with you as much as you want to be with him you two would be together. You would be running around Australia hiding from the police, laying low, living off the land or whatever it is people do when they're on the run. He would've told you what his plan was, better yet he would've told you the truth from the beginning but he didn't Evie. He lied to you for so long, he's hurt you an unbelievable amount and he's not even here anymore and he's hurting you and controlling your every life decision. I'm not going to make you stay married to me, I was hoping you would think about it more and decide that Josh doesn't deserve your every thought and that maybe I do. I've watched you try to fix yourself after everything he did to you for months now and now I have the opportunity help you and you're blocking me out because you're still hurt. If an annulment is what you really want we'll do it, I'm fine with that but I don't believe that you really want that. The belief you have that Josh will one day come back to you is keeping you from letting go and that's why you're saying no. Not once have you said you just don't want to be with me, I know that you have feelings for me Evie and that's probably why you're scared to be with me too but I'm not Josh,"  the room fell silent again. Evie didn't know what to say or what to think. Evie did have feelings for him, she knew that and so did he apparently but that didn't change the fact that he was her best friend and she wasn't sure that they were meant to be anything more than that. Josh had been gone for almost three months, Evie survived three months without Josh and it was all thanks to Matt for being with her through it all. Maddy left him but he was still by her side. He was just as heartbroken as her but he still carried her home after she tried to leave her problems at the bottom of a bottle. He listened to her cry about how Josh had ripped her heart out and stomped on it while he was recovering from the exact same thing.
"It doesn't matter how I feel or don't feel about you Matt, marriage is far too much. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be together because a big part of me really believes we should but I don't need to be Evelyn Page for that. So maybe we should go back through all the stages we skipped last night in Yabby Creek and see if we're meant to be and then in a few years we could get married properly this time and start our lives together on the right track instead of this bumpy one that we're on right now," Evie grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly. Matt's face softened and he smiled at her. He squeezed her hand back and nudged her lightly.
"Yeah but the right track is boring. If being married doesn't work out it will be an awesome cautionary tale to tell our children and grandchildren later on, and if it works out it's a funny story to tell them when they're older and can't be influenced by us anymore. Being married is really no different to dating, we're still together we just wear more jewellery and you have a different last name. Evelyn Page has a nice ring to it doesn't it?" Matt asked nudging her again. Evie chuckled and shook her head.
"This is insane, you know that right? I'm 18 you're almost 19 and we're married, we haven't experienced anything yet. We haven't built a career for ourselves but we're married. 24 hours ago we were nothing but friends and now we're husband and wife. It doesn't sit right with me. I really think my plan is the right thing to do, so what if it's boring it's what I want to do. I'm not ready to stop being Evelyn MacGuire. Plus I always imagined having a big wedding with all my family and friends there to celebrate with me, Zac would walk me down the aisle and my roommates would be my bridesmaids with Billie as the maid of honor. I didn't get any of that, this way I could get that if being together is right for us. I'm being selfish I know but I want this to work Matt," Evelyn told him truthfully. Matt nodded his and took a deep breath. Evie crossed her fingers on the hand that Matt wasn't holding hoping that he would be willing to give her way a chance. She wanted to leave Josh in the past and focus on her future which was Matt and she knew her way was the best way to do it.
"You're right, I never imagined getting married like that either. I've always imagined Elly there complaining about the photos but absolutely eating it up at the same time. I've always imagined VJ beside me nudging me as my wife walked down the aisle. So we'll start again, we'll go get annulled and go through the stages like we're meant to and hopefully everything works out the way we want them to," Matt put his arm around her and she rested her head on his chest. She wasn't sure how anything was going to go but it felt right. She was content and happy with his arms wrapped around her and the sound of his heartbeat in her ear. She looked down at her ring and pulled it off her finger and placed it in the palm of his hand.
"For the future Matt, for the future," she spoke quietly. He closed his hand around the ring and then placed it on the coffee table and smiled down at her. She looked into his eyes and felt right at home. He leaned down and connected their lips together. It wasn't a lust filled kiss, it was sweet and made her heart flutter. She was happy for the first time in months, in that moment she didn't care about where Josh was or if he was okay or if he had been found. She didn't want the moment to end but eventually they pulled away. She looked at Matt again and realised she only cared about herself and the boy beside her.

Archived