Waking Up In Vegas

Phoebe

Hi guys! I'm back! This is the fic that I posted in the 'Advertise your fanfiction' thread. Writing this took longer than I expected and the first chapter is just shy of 1000 words which is extremely short considering my goal is 2000 words per chapter, I didn't continue writing it because I thought we're I've ended the chapter is a good place to end it :)

Title of story:  Waking up in Vegas
Type of Fic: medium/long
BTTB Rating: G/T
Main Characters: Evelyn, Matt,
Genre:  Drama and Family, Romance, Friendship, Teen
Does it contains spoilers: Nope
Warnings:  No
Story beginning read-proofed?: No
Summary: When one or two 'end of school' drinks turns into a marriage things could be easily fixed but one of them just won't sign the papers.

Chapter One

The first thing she realised when she woke up was that her head wasn't resting on her pillow, whatever her head was resting on with warm and was moving up and down constantly. The second thing she realised was that her shirt was way too big to be hers. Then she opened her eyes and realised she wasn't sleeping in her room. She looked around the room and had no idea where she was. She lifted her head off what she had previously been sleeping on and rubbed her eyes. She grabbed the hem of her shirt and her eyes widened. She was wearing Matt's all time favourite shirt, the one she vaguely remembered seeing him in the day before. She looked behind her and had to cover her mouth with her hand to stop herself from screaming. She had been sleeping on Matt's bare chest. She threw her legs over the side of his head and stood up while running her fingers through her hair. Matt was her best friend, the only friend she had left, and they ruined it. She took a deep breath and picked up one of his pillows to throw at him, and that's when she noticed it. It was just a shiny bit of silver to begin with when she picked up the pillow but then she looked at it. It was a silver ring with some sort of stone in the middle, the ring itself wasn't the problem. The problem was that she was wearing it on her left hand on the finger next to her pinky. She didn't hesitate the second time, before she even knew she was doing it the pillow had already landed on Matt's head. Matt grabbed the pillow and lazily chucked it on the floor beside him and sat up rubbing his eyes. He didn't look surprised to see her standing there pulling at her and pacing.
"Evie?" He whispered, his voice thick with sleep. Evie stopped and dropped to the floor and brought her knees up to her chest and clasped her hands around the front of them. She heard Matt's feet hit the floor and she heard the walk across the room and then she heard him sit down beside her. "Are you going to tell me why you're freaking out?" He asked her. He went to put his arm around her shoulders but she shrugged it off/ They sat side by side in silence for what Evelyn thought was an hour. "Okay Evie, we maybe crossed the friendship boundaries last night and I know that you're afraid it's going to wreck the friendship we have going here but it's honestly going to be fine, maybe a little awkward but it'll go back to normal in no time," Frustration bubbled in the pit of Evelyn's stomach. Even if 'crossing the friendship boundaries' was her issue it wouldn't be something they could easily get over, and he obviously didn't remember anything from the night before. Evelyn held out her left hand, not wanting to have to say it out loud. Matt took her hand in his and stared at the ring. "Maybe we were just mucking around and put the ring on? It could be nothing," his voice was hopeful. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and looked back down at the ring again. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped.
"What Matt? Matt what is it?" Evelyn spoke for the first time that morning, her voice was thick and her mouth felt dry like she hadn't had a drop of water in months. Matt pushed her hand away from him and ran his fingers through his hair.
"That's my grandma's ring," he mumbled quietly. Those four little words and they both knew that they had made a big mistake. Evelyn jumped from the ground, she didn't want to believe what he was telling her. She went to the bedside table, no certificate there. She opened the bag she used the night before, no certificate there. She picked up her denim jacket from the floor and checked the pockets, no certificate there. The shoved her hands in the pockets of Matt's jeans, and that's where she found it. Matt had put their certificate of marriage in his pocket.
"You folded up our certificate of marriage into fours and put it in your pocket," Evelyn said incredulously. Then the thought occurred to her, it didn't matter anyway. She didn't plan on staying married so the fact that it had crease lines didn't matter. "You know what, it doesn't matter, we're going to get the marriage annulled anyway right?" Evelyn didn't want to spend the rest of her life with Matt, not in that way. She was young and had only just got out of a serious relationship she most definitely didn't want to be married. She was glad that out of everyone she could've married she married Matt, he would understand. Matt knew everything she had gone through, he would get where she was coming from. Evelyn looked down at Matt who was staring straight ahead at the wall in front of him. "Right Matt?" Evelyn asked again. Matt looked up at her but wouldn't look her in the eyes.
"I don't think I want to do that."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Ludub, Kristen, ~JarlieFanEver~, Red Ranger 1 and pembie for your comments and patience! This chapter is a little longer than the last one but still isn't quite 2000 words. I hope you all enjoy :)

Chapter Two!

"What?!" Evie couldn't believe it. Matt wanted to be married to her, he didn't want an annulment even though they were only twenty and both of them only just got out of messy relationships. He was joking, that was the only explanation Evie could come up with. Matt was still sitting on the ground in front of the door of their hotel room. Evie had no clue where they were that but that was the least of her problems. Matt wouldn't look at her, he focused his gaze off to the side and it was driving Evie insane. "Matt answer me!" Evie yelled again. Matt still didn't reply or look at her. Evie pulled back her leg and gave on sharp kick to the middle of Matt's foot. He glared up at Evie as crossed his legs so she couldn't do it again.
"I said I don't want our marriage to be annulled, I want to stay married," Matt slowly got to his feet and began to hobble over towards Evie. Evie knew Matt, she knew that he liked to make jokes out of every bad situation, she knew he wasn't being serious. There was no way he could actually want to be married. Matt had hobbled his way over so he was standing directly in front of her. "I believe that everything happens for a reason, that if something wasn't meant to happen it wouldn't. If we were meant to be married we wouldn't  be right now. I want to try and make this work," Matt said to her as he placed his on her shoulder. Evie closed her eyes and placed both hands on his chest and pushed him away. She knew then that he wasn't joking and it made her furious. Evie's life was complicated enough she didn't need anymore complications.
"What about Maddy huh? And what about Josh? I'm still not over him and I don't think I will be for a very long time. You expect me to be married to you when I still haven't got my head around Josh  being gone, you're insane Matt, absolutely insane. I don't want to be married to you not now and probably not ever, do you really want to be married to someone who just wants to leave you? I wouldn't," Evie knew that what she was saying was harsh and she knew that if she had time to really think things through she wouldn't be being so mean, but Matt was just so frustrating. Matt clenched his jaw and shook his head. Evie closed her eyes and waited for the explosion of angry words that was bound to come out of his mouth.
"What about Maddy? Maddy left, she packed up her things and moved in with the very woman that she ran away from rather than be here with me, and she didn't even say goodbye. Maddy doesn't deserve anymore time in my thoughts, I dare say that I wasn't in hers that morning she snuck through the front door with her bags pack. And Josh, Josh was not a good guy Evie, he was never right for you and we all knew it. Think about what he did, he murdered someone, he pretended to be blind for a long time so he didn't caught while all of your family and friends were persecuted for his crime, for god sake he let Zac go to jail for the crime he committed. Now he's on the run because he doesn't want to face up to what he did. You deserve to move on, we both do. You may not want to be married to me now but you don't know how this is going to turn out, it could be the best thing that has ever happened to you, do you really want to take that risk?" Tears welled in Evie's eyes. Matt had said things that Evie had been avoiding in her mind since Josh left her. She was in love with a murderer. When Josh drove away in that car he drove away with half of Evie's heart and she was still recovering. Matt was right, neither of them deserve what their previous partners did to them, but it didn't mean that they had to stay shacked up. Evie ran her hands over her face and took a shaky breath.
"I'm tired and my head is killing me, I just want to go home. I don't want to talk or think about this anymore Matt so can we please just head back to Summer Bay so I can sleep in my own bed by myself, maybe once I've had a decent sleep I'll be able to think clearer. Can we please just pack up and go?" Evie said as she wiped the tears from her eyes and cheeks. Matt nodded and they began to slowly gather their things together. Evie put on the clothes she wore the night before not caring if Matt saw her, they were married after all. Once Evie was dressed they left the hotel and everything they spoke about in it behind.

They were in Yabby Creek Evie realised as they drove through the small town and into Summer Bay. They drove in a comfortable silence, neither of them having anything else to say. Evie still didn't want to be married, looking back on it she was glad she and Josh never married. Evie was still young, she wasn't living alone and she was still in UNI and she was still shattered by the death of Oscar. She hadn't mentioned Oscar to Matt, she felt like if she had've Matt would've thought she was using it as an excuse, but there was no way she would ever do that. Oscar was always a massive part of her life, she had never imagined her life without him but she was starting to have to. If Oscar had've been alive she would've called him already most likely in tears telling him everything that had happened begging him for advice. Matt pulled into the driveway of the house she shared with Phoebe, Billie and Kat. She was glad to be back. She unbuckled her seat belt and turned to look at Matt.
"Look, Matt, I'm sorry for everything I said back at the hotel. I just don't want to be married, my life is already a mess I don't need anything else in it to make it messier, please tell me you understand?" She placed her hand on top of his but he shook it off. Evie's face fell. She was going to lose Matt's friendship whether she married him or not. Matt was the only friend she had left it felt like and she didn't want to lose that.
"No I don't understand and I really don't think us being married would make things harder for you, I actually think having someone who's always going to be there for you no matter what and having someone who cares for you will make things so much better. You never be by yourself again, you'd never feel like you had nobody again. Why don't you want that?" Matt said frustrated. A tear rolled down Evie's cheek again.
"Why can't you be that person in a friend way? Why do we have to be married for you to be there for me and care for me? I just don't get your need for us to be married Matt, I really don't," Evie managed to speak through her tears. Matt had been her best friend for years and he was ready to give it all up because she didn't want to be more than that. Being married to Matt had already caused many problems for her, she couldn't see it getting any better anytime soon. She need something that was a definite constant, she didn't see their marriage as a constant at all. The marriage was a mistake, she knew that and she was pretty sure he knew it too.
"That isn't the same thing Evie and you know it," Matt said. Evie shook her head and open the car door and stepped out of it. She turned to look at him again and shook her head.
"I'm sorry Matt but I just can't do it," She said as she closed the door. She took a few steps away from the car before she heard the window winding down.
"Can you at least just sleep on it, please?" He begged her. Evie sighed and nodded her head.
"Fine, but I'm not promising anything okay?" She told him. Matt smiled for the first time that day before winding up the window and speeding out of her driveway. Evie hated her life.

Sounds like Matt loves Evie and that's why he wants to stay married. Plus getting married in Vegas must be like one of the top things to do Its all about taking the gamble :wink: Matt spoke alot  sense though..

Evie's just being a fuss pot :P

Matt is being just a tad unreasonable, isn't he?! You can't force someone to stay married to you just because you've decided that you kinda like the idea! They were both under the influence and people shouldn't be allowed to enter into any binding contracts while inebriated... but that's Vegas for you! Those marriage chapels wouldn't do any business if they didn't spend their time marrying the absolutely sozzled! :lol:  Matt made a good case for why they should both move on, and he's obviously infatuated with Evie, but holding her to ransom might not be the way into her heart (or her pants) right now! :wink: wish she had Oscar to turn to! Great chapter! Looking forward to the next one! x 

Archived