Why I think Teresa should have died in the plane crash

beau_t

The character was leaving anyway, and I think there could have been a much better "fall-out" if Teresa had been killed.

Joe could have stayed on as a foster child. He wasn't the best character ever but he was ok, and a lot of time went into establishing his relationships with Jack, Curtis, Selina and Sally. It was also established his father didn't really want anything to do with him, so it seems too convenient and "happy ending-ish" to be going to live with him.

Further more, he swore revenge on Fisher if anything happened to his mum, and I would have liked to have seen this play out with Joe as a long-term enemy of Fisher (like Bobby was in the early days). Donald's at a bit of a loose end these days and this would have been good for his character trying to make amends/ or find himself locking swords with Joe on a regular basis with a gradual, long-term story arc between the two.

Also on a separate issue Donald feeling guilt over what happened to Teresa would have been good to explore. There's no doubt his treatment of her was wrong (similar to Lois Crawford's treatment of him actually) and there was some focus on this first with getting a stern warning from Arthur Briggs, and then various looks of condemnation in the surf club not only from Joe, but Jack and Michael too. But then after Teresa got rescued it seemed to go nowhere, which is a real shame as it seemed to be building towards something. If she had died, this could have been a good story for Donald.

I admit i was starting to get sick of the way Don was treating Teresa (which if he did that these days chances he would be accused of sexism) i actually would have liked Donald to have been sacked for his treatment of her and Teresa to have been made principal of the school because unlike Fisher (and let's be honest here!) she actually had time to listen to the students where as Fisher had a strict "my way or no way" policy - case in point expelling Selina without hearing her side

Hmmm... Maybe if Joe stuck around, there'd been no need for Nelson (Irene's place would be rammed with Mazza moving and I couldn't see him sharing with Joe) and the bushfire would probably never have happened.  He and Sal probably would have been a thing after a love/hate thing after a while.

He and Selina could have had the surrogate brother/sister dynamic without the complications. Odds are there'd be a shiptease where the both are worried that the other is into them but laugh it off.

If I were producer I'd have given Justin a year's extension on his contract as a regular then have his character transfer out on a B-ball scholarship (he could roast Jack and Curtis in any one-on-one game). 

I think both Teresa and Joe had the potential to be regulars.

I could see Teresa and Donald becoming an item later on and Joe might have been a good love interest for Shannon.

Both Teresa and Joe could have rented Travis' house while he was in Canada.

Later on maybe Teresa's husband could have come into the show to spice things up.

I can see the point but it would have been better for Teresa and Joe to have both stuck around rather than kill one and have the other hang around as a generic teen.It does seem a waste to spend all that time on their relationship and then get rid of them both just as they're starting to get back on track, but then I guess there's a point that their storyline's over.I'm not sure there's much potential in Joe seeking revenge on Fisher.There's a limit to how far it could have gone:If he'd tried to kill him or something, or even gone around vandalising his stuff, then certainly back in the 90s he'd have had a limited shelf life and have to either be shipped off or shown the error of his ways.If he'd just been a bit rude in class...no-one would have noticed the difference.And sadly I'm not sure Don would feel much guilt:He did after all contribute to David's death in similar circumstances and neither he nor anyone else really noticed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, Red Ranger 1 said:

I'm not sure Don would feel much guilt:He did after all contribute to David's death in similar circumstances and neither he nor anyone else really noticed.

Well I'm pointing out a story opportunity. He would have felt guilt if the writers wrote it in the story.

Archived