Are you looking forward to 2000-2005?

Skylover

2 hours ago, Jeremai said:

Ailsa also has some really strong stuff before her death: Shauna, and returning to the house where she killed her father (although sadly not played by Judy Nunn due to her illness).

I remember this during the 2007 Channel 5 repeat, that was a good story. I think it's such a shame Ailsa left when she did.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/09/2016 at 7:38 PM, Edward Skylover said:

I remember this during the 2007 Channel 5 repeat, that was a good story. I think it's such a shame Ailsa left when she did.

Me too, but she is pretty much my favourite character of all time, so I am a bit biased. I think it's a shame we had so little time with Shauna and Ailsa, especially given the build up. Personally, I'd have preferred Ailsa to stay over Irene back in 2000.

I also lost interest in Alf after Ailsa died too - almost as though she was propping him up all those years. 

8 minutes ago, adam436 said:

I also lost interest in Alf after Ailsa died too - almost as though she was propping him up all those years. 

i blame the show for this. After Ailsa died and Duncan left, Alf was terribly neglected by the writers.

He went from having a home and a family to living alone in a flat which was never shown. But there was no focus on this, on what effect it would have on someone in real life. He was just left to it and became a shadow of his former self for about 2 years, until the writers finally started to try and fix it.

Instead of having Duncan leave to live with Morag, they should have brought Morag in to live with Alf and Duncan in 2001 and create a new, dysfunctional family unit.

I think getting rid of the store was the start of a downturn for Alf, his bait shops have never quite worked as there's little call for them. It never quite fit right him running the Diner either, but even less so was him selling his share to Tash because of the flip of a coin/roll of a dice, whatever it was.   

17 hours ago, adam436 said:

Me too, but she is pretty much my favourite character of all time, so I am a bit biased. I think it's a shame we had so little time with Shauna and Ailsa, especially given the build up. Personally, I'd have preferred Ailsa to stay over Irene back in 2000.

I don't think Ailsa had to leave because of Irene.

2 hours ago, adam436 said:

I wasn't saying that - I am just saying that out of the two of them, I'd rather Irene have left.

Okay well I rather Colleen to leave and keep both Ailsa and Irene.

In fact I would have preferred Judith to have stayed in 2000 instead of Colleen as at least Judith's  character had  more realism than Colleen and I think Judith could have had potential with her character.

Colleen had a lot of realism! There are and were a lot of women like her. Gossip loving, very conservative but underneath the surface a very unsecure woman, who had been in the shadow of others her hole life. I thought her storyline in 2008 and her conversation in the diner with Roman added a lot of depth to her character. That she had always dreamt about the more wealthy Stewarts when she was a child, and how she was stuck in the circle of the community's lower rang. The time she grow up, this was quite common... 

I liked Judith, but I wouldn't have sacrificed Colleen for her.... 

I have to admit that I didn't like Alf and Ailsa as much as I liked other characters (Irene and Fischer for ex), and they weren't as warm hearted as many other characters, I always thought they were a bit charicatured. They had their good moments, but they weren't the "heart" of Summerbay as Alf has been described in the last 13 years or so. Fischer was a more warm hearted figure, and a more popular one and at that time had a more prominent role in Summerbay. So I think they needed to make Alf more warm hearted and more like the "heart of Summerbay" when Fischer left. But I have always thought that the aftermath of Ailsa's death wasn't dealt with like it should have been, back then I wished that Ailsa's death should have brought Alf and Duncan closer and not the opposite. But it wasn't unrealistic and I think  how they did it make room for more storylines now. It isn't strange if Alf and Duncan aren't best friends considering what happened back then. And I would have liked Duncan to live in Summerbay for good with his family. That would have been what H&A needs, I think. To be honest, I would rather have had Duncan with a family than having Roo walking around and just meddling with the teens every now and then (without really fostering) if both can't be in the show at the same times. Sometimes Roo feels pointless to me. 

But I really wish I had an opportunity to (re-)watch the episodes from 1994 to 2004 again. I loved Fischer and June, liked Noah and Jude as brothers, the Sutherlands, The Nashes and more. And I would have liked to watch Pippas last years again, because I didn't watch it every day back then, and have forgotten about details. But unfortunately, I don't think they will ever be aired in Norway again. 

I watched regularly up to 1996, then life commitments and work meant I only watched sporadically from 1996 to about 1998, and then I never watched it again after that, so yes I do look forward to seeing this period for the first time if it does get aired eventually.  For me post 2000 does not seem like the early years anymore though.

Archived