Chimera (by Ludub) - comments

1 hour ago, KittCatt said:

Great chapter!

Yay! Glad that it seems like everyone might get a happy ending :) Oscar looking back at everything that had happened and realizing that he loves Josh was really nice. Pity he didn't realize it sooner- poor Josh, can't even be happy for his ex-girlfriend and his brother because he's too heartbroken :unsure: :lol: Loved his talk with Andy and giving him his blessing to be with Evie, even though he didn't need to. 

Hope Oscar finds Josh, update soon :P

Thanks KittCatt! :P  I think Oscar had a lot to come to terms with! Waking up beside Josh like that would be a pretty big shock, even if he does at least know why it's happening now. He just doesn't know what's been going on in his own head and why he's been doing the things that he has. Remembering how crazy he's been behaving in vivid detail would be very frightening! Lol! And having a clingy Josh draped around him like that would be the worst possible way to come back to his senses! I think it's understandable that he wanted to get away! Pretty hurtful for Josh to be pushed away like that though! :(Glad you liked it!

• Like 1

I had a feeling you'd end up keeping Oscar gay. I must admit, I never saw any sign of it in the series and I've always been slightly leery of the tendency to assume that anyone who differs from masculine stereotypes must be gay (it seems vaguely insulting towards both those who differ from masculine stereotypes and those who are gay, as if if you're gay you have to be strange and if you're strange you have to be gay), but your story, your rules! I'm not sure if I quite bought Andy and Evelyn getting married either, there was a time when it looked possible but after everything that's happened this year (even before the explosion they seemed to have deliberately distanced themselves from each other) it kind of feels like the moment's passed. Sorry, I'm being horribly critical here, it was a nice ending. And are Chris and Billie together or am I reading too much into it?!

• Like 1

Lovely ending :wub:

Glad Oscar caught up with Josh, with both of them confessing their feelings for each other. Was quite surprised that Evie and Andy got married but i think they could actually be good together in the right circumstance, as this story demonstrates. Nice to see Zac still having reservations about Evie being with him- that is a natural response i suppose given what Andy has done in the past. Liked Oscar walking Evie down the aisle and the banter between everyone. Especially Maddy pointing out that Josh has slept with everyone except his own brother :lol: And i was surprised at Billie and Chris too, but i liked it :) Liked how everyone got a happy ending :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I had a feeling you'd end up keeping Oscar gay. I must admit, I never saw any sign of it in the series and I've always been slightly leery of the tendency to assume that anyone who differs from masculine stereotypes must be gay (it seems vaguely insulting towards both those who differ from masculine stereotypes and those who are gay, as if if you're gay you have to be strange and if you're strange you have to be gay), but your story, your rules! 

I take your point and I'm sorry if I've offended you or anyone else :( I didn't actually think Oscar was strange or particularly 'lacking masculinity'. There was just something that made me think he could be gay. Not sure why to be honest. That's not to say that one of the more stereotypically 'masculine' characters (as you put it) couldn't actually be gay. As in real life, anyone could be. Josh for example. I never saw the slightest inkling in the show that he was gay but just because I never saw anything doesn't mean that he couldn't have been. I do still think that it would have been a strong storyline for Jake Speer and he would have handled it with the sensitivity that it deserved. That's all.

It was a thoroughly ridiculous story from start to finish and it was never meant as anything other than that :blush:

As for Andy and Evie, there was a hint that it wasn't really the right thing. She looked at Josh in a wistful sort of way. He was the one she really wanted to marry but she took Andy instead. I probably should have explained that better. 

Anyway, thanks for reading. 

1 hour ago, Ludub said:

I take your point and I'm sorry if I've offended you or anyone else :( I didn't actually think Oscar was strange or particularly 'lacking masculinity'. There was just something that made me think he could be gay. Not sure why to be honest. That's not to say that one of the more stereotypically 'masculine' characters (as you put it) couldn't actually be gay. As in real life, anyone could be. Josh for example. I never saw the slightest inkling in the show that he was gay but just because I never saw anything doesn't mean that he couldn't have been. I do still think that it would have been a strong storyline for Jake Speer and he would have handled it with the sensitivity that it deserved. That's all.

It was a thoroughly ridiculous story from start to finish and it was never meant as anything other than that :blush:

As for Andy and Evie, there was a hint that it wasn't really the right thing. She looked at Josh in a wistful sort of way. He was the one she really wanted to marry but she took Andy instead. I probably should have explained that better. 

Anyway, thanks for reading. 

No problem, I think I posted that when I was tired and grumpy. It happens sometimes, I stop writing "Nice ending" and instead write what I hope is constructive criticism.So, um, I'm going to do it again.I'm being precious and unfair about Oscar, and it's probably the frustrated shipper in me talking (the show breaking him and Maddy up was frustrating enough without the relationship being effectively written off as an experiment), but it does seem like the sort of stories that used to be written about Dexter now get written about him, although to be fair the big burly blokes get comments as well.As for Andy and Evie, I may have got the wrong end of the stick but it feels like a bit too much happened off-page, we hear that they're happy together but don't really see much.

Can I also tentatively suggest that playing the joke straight is a delicate balancing act? The ridiculousness of a situation comes from the way it's presented as much as the actual events, so if the characters are taking a situation seriously, no matter how ridiculous it is, and the emotions involved are portrayed as very real, then the reader ends up taking it seriously too.

Sorry for the sermon! I do think you write very well and I look forward to seeing more from you.

5 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Can I also tentatively suggest that playing the joke straight is a delicate balancing act? The ridiculousness of a situation comes from the way it's presented as much as the actual events, so if the characters are taking a situation seriously, no matter how ridiculous it is, and the emotions involved are portrayed as very real, then the reader ends up taking it seriously too.

Thanks Red. I appreciate the genuine feedback and constructive criticism. It's good to get a different perspective.

I think you're probably very right about this. Probably a bit (or a lot) misjudged but I'm still learning, so thanks for the feedback :wink: I was just dipping my toe into trying to write something a bit more comedic but I don't think that it's something that comes all that naturally to me so it may have just fallen a bit flat.

I was always quite nervous about this story. More so than any of the others that I've written because it took me out of my comfort zone of writing about misery (but I managed to bring some of that into the story anyway! Old habits die hard and all that! Lol!) It was such a weird premise for a story that I probably relied a bit too much on the situation to make it funny rather than the character's reactions. I can learn from that. As you say, it's a delicate balancing act, that I probably didnt get right. To be honest, I was never too sure if it was actually funny or not, even if I found it funny while I was writing it. Laughing at your own jokes is not an attractive character trait :wink: (especially if no-one else finds them funny, haha.) 

I think I might try to steer clear of comedy in the future, not really my forte.

• Like 1