Things they could have done with old characters

beau_t

I was watching some early 1989 episodes and it occurred to me it's a shame Bobby's old adversary Alison Patterson was never mentioned again (until 2000, longer after Bobby died). How awesome would it have been if Greg's affair had been with Alison, instead of creating the character of Fiona?

It got me thinking of other characters they could have re-used instead of bringing in new ones.

Sally's boyfriend circa 97 (Tim) should have been Mullet. Or even instead of creating Flynn they should have made him Mullet. (I could see both the guy who played Tim and Martin Dingle-Wall as believable grown-up versions of Mullet).

Can anyone think of any others?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea for Mullet, I did like his character.

I've always said they missed a trick by not bringing in Vicki Baxter as Dodge's girlfriend in 1995, rather than having Nana Coburn play a new character named Lisa. I mean with Vicki's history I imagine she'd have been more than happy to help Dodge plot against Stevo.

It was such a small role that simply changing the name to Vicki when they realised who'd be playing her, and having Steven recognise her, wouldn't have been a hardship.

That's a great idea Dan. It would have added an extra dimension to the character rather than her just being a convenient plot device - as you said it would have provided an explanation why she was happy to plot against Stevo.

Given how the character of Josh West ended up, it would have been interesting to have him as a Macklin. Perhaps he could have been the younger sibling of Brett and Stacey from an affair Gordon add or even just a never-before-mentioned sibling (he would have been 9 or 10 in the late 80s).

Alf had a history with the Macklins, so he would have been biased towards Josh at the start.

What about Lance marrying Marilyn instead of Phil Bryant?

Josh being Gordon's Bastard Son in every sense of the word would have been brilliant. Gordon could have had a fling with Jackie Turner, whose husband Greg West was unable to provide children (though what child would want that old fart as their dad?!)  and stay out of the picture and pay for Josh's upkeep until his 18th. Or Gordon and Mrs Macklin could have packed him off to Boarding School "out of the way".

Instead of Gina I would have liked Judith to have returned as head teacher having lost Edward. Then maybe she could have had a relationship with John instead. 

I'm repeating myself from an old thread but Romeos mum could well have been jane Holland. And his dad could of been grant Mitchell. Jane found out she was pregnant after she left. 

Hey, I guess it's never to late for a Sally/Mullet reunion. 

4 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Instead of Gina I would have liked Judith to have returned as head teacher having lost Edward. Then maybe she could have had a relationship with John instead.

Other than her being mother to the three boys (and possibly Tony's sister, but even that was not completely outside the realm of possibility), I don't think there was too much Gina did that couldn't have been done with Judith.

Had Alison Patterson return in 2005 with a 16 year old son who Alison says was the result of a brief fling she had with Frank just before she left Summer Bay in February 1989, as a secret revenge tactic on her arch rival Bobby. She had got him drunk (off-screen of course, and the revelation comes out in 2005). Thus ensuring her bitchy personality all the more.

• 11 months later...

They could of brought Joel Nash back in 2001 when Gypsy's pregnancy storyline was happening and he could of revealed him and Nat are now divorced and he has been to visit Judith, Edward and Peta

Archived