What went wrong with the 1996-1999 teen gang?

adam436

Shangel and Channon (or Shurtis) were 2 great couples of the 1990s and I think 1996 saw the departure of the former and 1997 saw the departure of the latter and the show had a massive void to fill. Not to mention Damo and Jack leaving. I remember at the time that the replacements such as Aaron, Stephanie, Liam, Casey and Joey just did not live up to their predecessors.

^Don't really agree that Curtis/Shannon were an iconic couple. They've been in the early years for half a year and they're already broken up - and I don't think they're getting back together.

As to the teen group in question, I'm really keen to see this group form again. This was the era when I first started watching so I have a lot of fond memories of these characters. At least on paper, a lot of these characters seem superior to Selina/Shannon/Curtis/Jack who seem a bit more 'standard Home and Away teen' to me (not that that doesn't make them interesting characters). With this group I felt they were trying to do something different - and I really appreciated that. OK, Liam was a bit boring - but Joey and Casey both had really interesting backgrounds (I wish Casey had stuck around longer) and Stephanie too, I think. I seem to recall Stephanie experiencing earthquakes that no-one else could or something... Justine and Tiegan seemed a bit more 'standard' to me but I still enjoyed them.

I agree that it seemed like they were trying something different with the new teen group.

For a start, they didn't seem to have so many issue-led storylines. I mean with the Curtis(etc) group they just seemed to go from Child abuse to Alcoholism to Anorexia to Miscarriage to Bush Fires to Lesbianism to Foster-Sibling Romance to Cult Kidnappings to Diabetes to Student/Teacher affairs to.... God it just goes on lol.

The teens of the late 90s had a few heavy storylines sure (schizophrenia, accused baby murder, to name a couple) but it wasn't the same and it wasn't as full-on. Even though the teens had a lot of screen time, most of the big storylines went to the adults during this period (for example I seem to remember there was a lot of focus on Fisher and Marilyn during this period) and the older teens (Jesse, Sally, Vinnie, Kylie). I could be wrong...

You make a very good point, Beau!

Not only were the 1994-1997 teen group immensely popular, but as you say, they did it all, and the latter group seemed quite "tame" for lack of a better word, in comparison. You had Tegan's illiteracy, the Gypsy/Robert Perez stuff, Tom's affair with the policewoman and the other storylines you pointed out, plus Stephanie's death and the fallout from that, but all in all, they were a pretty quiet group.

As well as Fisher and Marilyn, there was a focus on Joel and Natalie, Travis and Rebecca and Alf and Ailsa (she had PST and the car accident during that period), plus Sally and Chloe (the "survivors" from the previous teen group) were just coming into adulthood, so there was a big focus on them too. 

The late 90s gang were still streets ahead of Kirsty, Nick, Jade and Duncan/Seb though!

21 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Yes but Aaron was in the year above justine I think. In casey and joeys year. 1997 I think had Chloe/Sally in Year 12. Joey/Stephanie/Liam/Casey/Aaron year 11, Justine/ Tiegan year 10. And Sam year 9. I'm sure Sam somehow skipped a year. He never seemed old enough in 1998 to be in the same class as Will and Gypsy. And I'm not sure why Will and Hayley were in the same year. Will didn't seem old enough to to be in Justine/Tiegan and Toms year but too old to be in Sam and Hayleys. In a way sam and hayley should have been a year below gypsy and will. 

Yes, but Chloe had to repeat Year 11 in 1996 after going to live with Maureen out in WA and missed like 4 months of school. They did so Sal would have someone to graduate with.  Sam, like I said before was Immature for his age, don't think he properly matured until he chopped the mop for the second time and moved in with Donny and Maz.  Confusing times! 

On 29/06/2016 at 5:56 AM, Blaxland 89 said:

Yes but Aaron was in the year above justine I think. In casey and joeys year. 1997 I think had Chloe/Sally in Year 12. Joey/Stephanie/Liam/Casey/Aaron year 11, Justine/ Tiegan year 10. And Sam year 9. I'm sure Sam somehow skipped a year. He never seemed old enough in 1998 to be in the same class as Will and Gypsy. And I'm not sure why Will and Hayley were in the same year. Will didn't seem old enough to to be in Justine/Tiegan and Toms year but too old to be in Sam and Hayleys. In a way sam and hayley should have been a year below gypsy and will. 

Hayley repeated year 12 and Judith said that she was younger then everyyone else in her class

I can remember even when I was a child characters like Aaron wanted me to stop tuning in. Don't know if my opinion was justified as I was only about 5 when he arrived. I'm looking forward to this era when the early years get there though. Although it'll be a sad day for me when Jack, Curtis etc leave.

Archived