Mason Morgan - Orpheus Pledger

RIP Mason, whose death aired in the UK this month. Given that this thread hasn't been used in nearly a year, and there's a post on the last page from over three years ago, I guess he's not someone anyone thought much about. It seemed to take a while for people to warm to him, and perhaps some never did. He wasn't a saint by any means, he could be a bit of a player, he made wrong choices and bad calls right up to the end. But in my opinion, he was one of the few genuinely decent young men on a show that badly needs them.So of course, he got hardly any storylines, and then got casually killed off as part of the latest big stunt.

I will give the show credit for at least trying to give Mason a brave and noble death.The problem is, they muffed it somewhat.(It didn't help that the hospital siege made absolutely no sense: If they were only interested in Robbo and Jasmine, why not just have Scott drive Robbo to a quiet spot and Jay drive Jasmine to another quiet spot when they had them alone that morning, instead of invading Jasmine's place of work and taking a bunch of random people hostage for hours?) If they were going to have Mason die helping others escape, then ideally he should have saved Bella, making sure she was taken out so she could get medical treatment. Or, if the show really wanted to drag her plight on into the next season and use it as an excuse to have the popular but distinctly unheroic Colby and Dean make macho speeches about "saving our family", he should have made sure some other patients in critical need of treatment got out. (I don't know if it was a failure of conception or execution, but it was frustrating that the fact they were in an emergency department which should have been full of critically injured and ill people was ignored apart from a few throwaway comments.) Instead, he died so that a few of the hostages got freed a bit earlier than the others did. Points for good intentions but still an epic fail.

So despite giving him focus in those last two episodes, this wasn't really about Mason. He wasn't really a part of the whole gang storyline aside from Tori being in the safe house for a bit, he just got shoved into it at the end as some sort of sacrifice to try and make the hospital siege have an impact.I can't help thinking there's a kinder universe out there somewhere where Mason took that internship in WA and left Summer Bay to go out and help people.That's the way he should have gone, not been kept around a bit longer because the show needed a character they weren't bothered about to die in the finale: Shot off screen and then dumped out of view like a piece of rubbish to save paying appearance fees.

More than once, Mason noted that people who did the wrong thing seemed to get rewarded, while he tried to do the right thing and continually got kicked in the teeth for it.That's how he lived, and sadly that's how he died.

• Like 6

I think Mason was one of those characters that got lost somewhere in the middle. I liked his early craving for a real relationship that he didn’t have to leave behind when he changed identity yet again. 

Then towards the end I think his friendships with Willow & Alex, fighting for Raffy and then the different dynamic with Justin following the departure of Brody gradually made me warm to him. Probably controversial but I’d quite like to have seen him stick around and Tori leave - I feel he was sacrificed as they ended up with too many Doctors.

If Tori & Robbo both died then Grace would’ve given either Jasmine or Justin & Leah a pretty good story to run with.

Edited by c120701
  • Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 01:28, Red Ranger 1 said:

RIP Mason, whose death aired in the UK this month. Given that this thread hasn't been used in nearly a year, and there's a post on the last page from over three years ago, I guess he's not someone anyone thought much about. It seemed to take a while for people to warm to him, and perhaps some never did. He wasn't a saint by any means, he could be a bit of a player, he made wrong choices and bad calls right up to the end. But in my opinion, he was one of the few genuinely decent young men on a show that badly needs them.So of course, he got hardly any storylines, and then got casually killed off as part of the latest big stunt.

I will give the show credit for at least trying to give Mason a brave and noble death.The problem is, they muffed it somewhat.(It didn't help that the hospital siege made absolutely no sense: If they were only interested in Robbo and Jasmine, why not just have Scott drive Robbo to a quiet spot and Jay drive Jasmine to another quiet spot when they had them alone that morning, instead of invading Jasmine's place of work and taking a bunch of random people hostage for hours?) If they were going to have Mason die helping others escape, then ideally he should have saved Bella, making sure she was taken out so she could get medical treatment. Or, if the show really wanted to drag her plight on into the next season and use it as an excuse to have the popular but distinctly unheroic Colby and Dean make macho speeches about "saving our family", he should have made sure some other patients in critical need of treatment got out. (I don't know if it was a failure of conception or execution, but it was frustrating that the fact they were in an emergency department which should have been full of critically injured and ill people was ignored apart from a few throwaway comments.) Instead, he died so that a few of the hostages got freed a bit earlier than the others did. Points for good intentions but still an epic fail.

So despite giving him focus in those last two episodes, this wasn't really about Mason. He wasn't really a part of the whole gang storyline aside from Tori being in the safe house for a bit, he just got shoved into it at the end as some sort of sacrifice to try and make the hospital siege have an impact.I can't help thinking there's a kinder universe out there somewhere where Mason took that internship in WA and left Summer Bay to go out and help people.That's the way he should have gone, not been kept around a bit longer because the show needed a character they weren't bothered about to die in the finale: Shot off screen and then dumped out of view like a piece of rubbish to save paying appearance fees.

More than once, Mason noted that people who did the wrong thing seemed to get rewarded, while he tried to do the right thing and continually got kicked in the teeth for it.That's how he lived, and sadly that's how he died.

I totally agree! I also didn't see the point in Mason sticking around longer - only to get shafted with working at the gym. I suppose maybe Orpheus wanted to extent his contract the extra 6 months, or maybe they promised a big/exiting exit for him...but if I were him, I would've just had Mason take the internship back then and save the boring storylines he was given the last few months. It didn't help that Raffy left before him and she seemed to be his only real purpose outside of work.

6 hours ago, Lunar said:

I totally agree! I also didn't see the point in Mason sticking around longer - only to get shafted with working at the gym. I suppose maybe Orpheus wanted to extent his contract the extra 6 months, or maybe they promised a big/exiting exit for him...but if I were him, I would've just had Mason take the internship back then and save the boring storylines he was given the last few months. It didn't help that Raffy left before him and she seemed to be his only real purpose outside of work.

To be fair, he was working at the gym because he didn't get an internship and it was during that last period that he started working at the hospital again.And with Brody and Raffy gone and Tori absent for a long time, we did see Mason having to step up and be the sensible voice at home, pulling Justin back into line at times and looking out for Ava.But I really wish that he never took that job at Northern Districts...

3 hours ago, chair said:

I'm not sure how some of the hostages were allowed to leave. Did they sneak out? Or were they allowed to go by the gunmen?

We saw them sneaking out while Mason had the gunmen's attention.The suggestion was that Ari KOed the guard on the stairwell.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The news that came out today about Orpheus Pledger reminded me of something I've always been curious about. Has anyone heard any rumours of drama or tension between him and other Home and Away cast and crew members? 

What has made me wonder this is that on his Instagram, he is not followed by many cast members that we worked with during his time of the show nor does he follow many members either.

7 hours ago, homeandawayfan95 said:

The news that came out today about Orpheus Pledger reminded me of something I've always been curious about. Has anyone heard any rumours of drama or tension between him and other Home and Away cast and crew members? 

What has made me wonder this is that on his Instagram, he is not followed by many cast members that we worked with during his time of the show nor does he follow many members either.

That's interesting. I never heard any rumours but wonder do most of the cast follow each other instagram or just who they're close with? Its possible a few those he worked with didn't have instagram.