The Cost For Love

I had two ideas, and the second one is a massive work in progress so I thought I'd go with my sequel to 'A Target of Love' before I start a whole new fiction. :)

Story Title: The Cost For Love
Type of story: Long fic

Main Characters: Zac MacGuire, Leah Patterson-Baker, VJ Patterson, Peter Baker, OC
BTTB rating: T
Genre: Romance, Drama, Angst,
Does story include spoilers: Yes to be safe
Any warnings: Sexual content, violence/death, language
Summary: It's been five years since Peter was sent to jail for what happened when he had returned to Summer Bay for the murder of Charlotte King, forgetting his duties and targeting Leah and Zac for being married and happy. He is out, and has one thing on his mind. They must pay. Can Zac and Leah keep their family, their daughter, safe? Or does the unthinkable happen?

Chapter One: Her First Day at School.

For five years, Zac and Leah had lead a busy life with a small child among them, and it was a blessing. They were still happy, and going strong. Of course all married couples had their moments, and they certainly had theirs. VJ had gone off to university, and was studying electrical engineering, Hunter had also gone off to police college, after reforming his anger after learning who killed his mother, and then there was baby Charlie, who wasn't a baby no more, she was about to start her first day at school. Zac couldn't believe how cute she was, she had been such a naughty child, growing up. Leah struggled with her behaviour in her twos, and wondered if she was doing things wrong. Zac helped her realize that there was a different approach to her that helped greatly, and she began to obey and be a good child. Zac took her everywhere he went when he wasn't working. It was that simple, she was his baby girl. Since Evie had left to explore the world with Maddy, Oscar had gotten a job in America for a few months to broaden his space knowledge.

Leah adored the relationship that they had, it was terrific. She was his daughter, she definitely resembled him in personality, but she looked a lot like Leah with his colour eyes. Zac and Leah both prepared her lunch as she sat next to VJ who was staring down at her, "Ready for your first day at school?"

"Yes, but I miss Hunter," frowned Charlie. Hunter hadn't been living in Summer Bay since starting police College, and had hoped to get his placement back in Summer Bay once finished his study there.

"He believes in you, princess!" grinned Zac from the kitchen.

"Do you Daddy?" asked Charlie.

"Of course!" smiled Zac giving her a kiss on her head as he put her lunch box into her bag.

Leah came over, "We better get you to school soon, almost done there, lovely?"

Charlie was eating her peanut butter toast, "Yes Mummy!"

Leah put her arm around Zac who looked at her with a big smile on his face, "You ready to let her go to school now?"

Leah smiled at him, "Yes, this is going to be good."

He grinned at her, and kissed her once.

------------------

Once breakfast was finished, VJ had taken his car and went off to university for the week, he is only home for weekends deciding to be a bit more independent and stay at campus, so he remains more focused. He lived in a small flat with Olivia and Skye, Olivia was still with Hunter, but missed him like crazy. Skye was now single and was studying to become a lawyer. Olivia was studying fashion design.

Zac had gone upstairs and grabbed his bag, and Charlie's also, following the two girls out the front door, he couldn't believe how fast time had flown. There had been no dangers to them, and  they were happy. The only drama he could really remember was when VJ broke up with Holly, and her obsessive ways that came after, the only time he ever felt threatened by her was when VJ had taken his three year old sister out to the beach and Holly pulled her by her hair. Her mother and Holly then soon left after Zac threatened to have her up for what she had done to his daughter. Once Holly was fully gone, VJ had been pretty gutted about how much he loved her, but they just weren't working.

Zac sat in the passenger seat and looked to Leah, who smiled at him, "You alright?"

"Was just thinking about the past five years, it's been quick," admitted Zac. "I thought she'd stay small for a bit longer!"

Leah smiled as she parked up at her new school, "I thought so too, but it's been a brilliant five years, and we have a lot more to come."

Zac  looked at her worried, "And let's hope she remains the good little princess she is right now."

As they got out of the car, they walked her in, Charlie holding both their hands. She was still quite small for a five year old, but she was perfect. Zac felt proud as they walked her into her class, and watched as she was introduced. Watching the big grin on her face, "Bye Mummy and Daddy!"

They turned and wrapped their arms around each other as they left the school, and took the short drive towards Summer Bay High. "Oh I am so proud of her already," smiled Zac.

"Me too."

--------------

Five years also marked the year that Peter Baker would be going up for parole for good behaviour, and to swear he has changed. Peter stood amongst the board, "What I did was horrible, and unforgivable. I promise to you that I have changed and it is no longer my interest to pursue any wrong doing against Zac MacGuire and his family."

The board looked over his time in prison and made a decision, he was paroled out that afternoon. A smile on his face, Peter was going to remain on the down low, watch the family for awhile before making his presence known, but not physically.

Moving into a small condo van he had already brought from his time with Amanda, and the divorce left him with that he moved it to the outskirts of the Caravan Park, a few miles away. Where he would watch.

Being near on six pm, he noticed the family all having fun. A little child sitting on Zac's lap had him intrigued. Watching Leah and Zac kiss, and hold their baby certainly had him angry. They remained happy and had a child, he couldn't see VJ or the other kids that were around when he was here last, so it was better for his plan. His deadly plan. But now who should he take out, was the question.

----------

Leah and Zac were sitting outside, watching Charlie play and tell them about their day, not a care in the world. Leah moved and sat on his lap, after Charlie got off to play on the slide Alf had brought her for her birthday, and Zac put his arm on her legs. "She had such a great day at school."

Zac nodded and looked up at his wife, "I know, I am so proud of her."

Leah leaned down for a moment and kissed him passionately, "I haven't told you lately, I love you."

Zac kissed her back, "I love you too, more than ever."

They had no idea, just through that shrub a few meters away, Peter Baker had set up camp.

-----------

Bit short, for first chapter. This computer isn't really liking me right now. So next Chapter will be better. Just warming up! :wub:

Will Peter succeed THIS time?

Sorry for being absent, this story is going to run much slower than A Target for Love -- as my computer is ultimately the devil incarnate when I decide to write. :P

Chapter Two: Air

Peter had set up his camp for when he decided to make his presence somewhat known, he certainly didn't want Zac or Leah learning of his return to the Bay so he made sure the cops thought he left the Bay once he was released from Prison. Though he did plan to take a few days out of the bay, to regroup, rebuild and plan a proper and successful way to make sure Leah and her family suffers. 

Charlie was already up and running through the house waking the whole house up, Zac grumbled as he tried to desperately try and get some more sleep. "It's four am and she's awake," he frowned into his pillow. 

"It's your turn, babe," spoke Leah, sleepily rolling over to catch some more sleep. 

Zac got up grabbing his t-shirt slipping it on before exiting their door; closing it after him. "Oi, Charlie, come here," he whispered. She ran to him all happy. 

"Daddy! I want to go to school now!" she clapped. 

"It's just passed four am, and you're waking the house up, it's not time to be up for school. You need to go back to bed and get some sleep, or you'll miss school," spoke Zac.

"Why?" pouted Charlie, crossing her arms looking up at her father.

"Because you'll fall asleep and the teacher will be very, very cross with you," spoke Zac, rubbing her hair, "Now let's put you back to bed."

He took her back to her room, that they had made in Evie's room since she had since moved out, "There we go." he smiled as she curled back up in her bed. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her forehead, "I love you, Princess. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Daddy, I wuv you too." she grinned up at him, closing her eyes as he turned the main light off leaving her night light on how she liked it and closed the door quietly to be greeted by Alf.

"I could have sworn she found candy, flamin' gorgeous child!" shook his head as he headed toward the bathroom.

"Sorry about that, she was super excited and wanted to head off to school now," smiled Zac as he went back to his room to get more sleep. 

--------

It was morning and Zac had finished making sure Charlie was ready for school and helped her prepare her bag, "I wonder if I'll see Cindy today!" 

"Who's Cindy?" encouraged Zac as he tried to do her hair up into a ponytail as she wanted it. 

"She's this girl at school, we played in the playground together. She giggled, "We played in the sandpit and made castles. She wants to be my friend, Daddy!"

She held his hand as they went down the stairs, and she quickly let go of his hand when she saw Leah, "Mummy!"

Leah turned around as her daughter hurdled herself at her, catching her and wrapped her in a hug. "Hello, aren't you very hyperactive this morning?"

"I want to go to school!" grinned Charlie.

Zac grinned taking his seat, looking up with bright eyes at his two girls. Leah sat her down in her chair then took hers next to Zac taking his hand in hers. "Someone likes school already!"

"I want to make some more sandcastles with Cindy!" grinned Charlie as she began to gouge down her toast.

"Slow down, Princess. You won't get to school quicker if you eat faster, we'll still leave the same time we did yesterday so please eat slower," spoke Zac.

Charlie didn't listen and kept trying to rush her food down.

"Charlie Denise MacGuire, slow your eating down right now," sternly spoke Zac. 

Charlie stopped immediately, her eyes bright with shock. She knew when he used her whole name she was in trouble.

"Eat slower, or you won't be able to play with your dolls when you get home," warned Zac.

"But Daddy!" whined Charlie.

"Eat slower, please." spoke Zac.

Leah smiled at him, he was so caring but knew when discipline needed to be carried out. She watched as Charlie began to eat her toast at a reasonable pace. 

Zac began to then eat his own cereal and looked towards Leah, "What do you have planned today?" 

Leah lost her job as a youth counselor just after Charlie was born, Greg stated that there were budget cuts. Leah had been working in the diner ever since, but she had an opportunity to help guide youth that were getting out of juvenile detention. "I've got that opportunity to be a guidance counselor for those that will be and about to be release from juvenile detention today, I plan to win." 

Zac smiled at her, "That's fantastic, ring me and let me know how you get on! You'll do great!" 

-------

Peter was out of town, grabbing out supplies for his caravan, and other things, parchment paper and more. He had a plan, he'd taunt Zac with letters first, and then move on to more ways of pulling Leah and Zac apart. He smiled as he walked down the main street in the city. Peter knew them having a child together made things trickier for him. But the plan would still be in place, he saw his goal. He would soon be in Leah's life and Zac would soon be out of it, at least deep down that's what he hoped.

-----

Zac and Leah walked their daughter into school hand in hand like they had the day before, and she screeched, "Cindy!" 

"Charlie!" the little girl came running over, "Wanna go play in the dolls house in the class before Mrs James starts?" 

Charlie bounced between her mother and father, "Can I go play Mummy, Daddy? Ooh Please, can I?" 

Zac released his hand first and knelt down and gave her a kiss on her cheek, "You have a fantastic day in school and pay attention when the teacher is speaking." 

Charlie nodded eagerly and kissed his cheek, "I will daddy I promise." She then eagerly span around to her mother who gave her a hug and a kiss. "Run along, beautiful." 

Charlie took Cindy's hand and ran and hung her bag up on her hook and turned and waved before disappearing into class. Zac and Leah looked at each other and grinned, before taking each other's hands and left the room, "I love her so much." admitted Zac.

"I know you do, so do I," smiled Leah.

----------

While Zac left for school, Leah drove towards the corrections office for juvenile dilequints, once she arrived she went up and entered the building going to the reception, "Hello, I'm Leah Patterson-MacGuire, I'm here for the Guidance Counselor position!" 

The young lady smiled, "Of course! Take a seat, Paul will be right with you shortly." 

Leah took a seat, and waited patiently, a mere ten minutes later the door opened, "Mrs Patterson-MacGuire?" 

Leah stood up and walked over to him, "Hello, Sir." 

"Hello there, I'm Paul Thompson and I'll be taking your interview, please come with me."

------------

Peter had been around the city for some time, buying what he needed and had a photo of Leah printed off so he could put it up near his bed at the camp to remind him of his own plan, to succeed in his plan. His plan was truly something sinister and he couldn't wait to put it into motion, but he knew that it would be too soon and the police, if reported too would look directly at him and he wouldn't have a chance to get out of it. So he needed to bide his time. 

Returning back to his caravan he began to set it up for the long haul, placing the photo directly next to his bed and he smirked, "Soon enough, my love." he whispered, as if he was talking directly to her. 

-----------

Zac had been working all morning he knew Leah was in her interview when his phone went off, "Zac speaking," he spoke in the middle of the class after not recognizing the number. "Is she alright?!" he demanded. His body seized up. "How did that happen? She's five!" 

He rushed towards the door, Greg was walking past. "Uh can you watch my class? My daughter's been in an accident at school! They're taking her to the hospital, Leah's phones off. Hence why they called me." 

Greg looked at him, "Sure, go!" 

Zac took off towards the hospital, trying multiple times on the way to get ahold of Leah. In the end he sent her a simple text. Meet me at the hospital, after your interview. Charlie's been in an accident. All I know right now. Love Z.

-----

Is Charlie okay? What happened? Is Cindy really as nice as what she seems? [Don't worry Cindy has nothing to do with Peter.] AND WHAT IS HE UP TOO? :wub:

Attempting to write this again as my computer died. :(

Chapter Three: Trauma

It felt like a decade had passed before Zac finally arrived at the hospital running into the place and straight up to Nate and Tori, who were married now. "Where is she? Where's my daughter? Is she okay? Please, tell me she's okay!" he panted, his eyes nearly welling with tears as he was so worried.

"Zac, she's been taken for a test, she came in unconscious so we have to see what's going on, until those tests are back. I have nothing definite to tell you. Though the injury to her arm is broken, we're going to sit it back into place and put a cast on her. I fear she was pushed, but you will have to ask her when she's awake and able for visitors. I am sorry mate." 

Zac looked at him helplessly, "That's my daughter, Nate! I should be with her! What do you mean you don't think she naturally fell? She's five!" 

"I mean the weight of how she landed seems unusual." spoke Nate. 

Zac began to pace, he just wanted to see his daughter. 

"We can't get a hold of Leah," spoke Tori.

"She is in an interview for her job right now," spoke Zac.

He noticed Charlie come back around from tests and she was awake, "Daddy! My head and arm hurts really, really, really bad!"

"Well you know you're in the right place, Princess. Nate and Tori are going to look after you, you be that strong little girl that I know you are," grinned Zac.

"Okay Daddy," as she was wheeled into her room.

-----------

Leah had just gotten out of her interview, grinning eager to ring Zac and tell him the good news. Waiting for her phone to reboot she sat back in her car, hearing multiple dings she looked down, ten missed calls from Nate, five from Tor and almost fifteen from Zac she was alarmed, and then saw the text message from Zac to get to the hospital, that Charlie had been in an accident. Her fears rising as she reversed quickly and raced towards the hospital. 

She couldn't accept the job now, Charlie needed her. She raced all the way to the hospital before running in around the corner banging directly into Zac, who held her up when he realized who it was. "Leah," he saw the tears, "It's alright, she's alright." 

Leah wrapped her arms around him, "What happened?"

"Not exactly sure, yet. Will have to ask her, not sure what's wrong either but she's awake, in pain but she's smiling." spoke Zac. He held her close to him, "They think her broken arm is strange due to the height of the bars she fell off."

"So it wasn't an accident or there's something wrong with her bones?" asked Leah. Frowning.

"We have to wait and see what Charlie says happened," spoke Zac. "In the meantime, how did your interview go?" 

"It went well, I got the job. I'm gonna decline it," spoke Leah.

"What, wait, why? You wanted it so badly." spoke Zac.

"But Charlie!" she frowned.

"Will be fine," spoke Nate as he exited the door. "She has a mild concussion, so she will admitted over night." 

Zac's face fell, they had to leave their daughter here over night on her own? "On her own?"

"Unfortunately you both cannot stay after 5PM for children, that's the new rules here, and I'll be with her all night. So I can monitor her while she sleeps tonight. A TV and Bambi, along with Finding Nemo has been put into place as well as The Lion King so she will have a lot of distracting things to keep her entertained, and she'll have me to chat too. She's wanting to see you both!"

Zac and Leah eagerly entered the room, "Hey you!" 

"Mummy Daddy! Looks I got a pink cast!" she giggled. 

"How awesome is that colour? Could you though, please tell us what happened?" asked Zac.

Charlie looked up to him, and her eyes filled with tears. "Cindy and I were playing on the monkey bars and the silly teacher pushed me off the bars and I hit my head and my arm on the ground. He was really, really, really mean." 

"A teacher shoved you off, where was Mrs James?" asked Leah.

"She wasn't there this morning, he was her sit in teacher till lunch time. He was really mean to me, and nice to all the others and I never remembered his name," cried Charlie her arm around to hug her mother who gladly obliged to comfort her child. 

"I'll be back," spoke Zac. Walking out the door.

------------

Peter returned quickly to his caravan taking of the wig and the eye contacts he wore to disguise his identity. Being at that class as the sit in teacher was easier than he thought, but he knew his time was up with that one. But it was a one time thing, a starter thing. He had hoped that he hadn't seriously injured Charlie, but enough to start to cause tension within the marriage. 

-----------

Zac walked into the school and down to Kane Barn's office, the principal for the school. "Ah Mr MacGuire, tell me how is your precious daughter doing? We are terribly sorry for her accident."

"Thing is, the sit in teacher for Mrs James was the man who pushed her off the monkey bars," snapped Zac. "How could you let a teacher do that to a child? Who was he?"

"He said his name was Frank, Frank Dean, I'll give him a call to come in and explain himself, I am terribly sorry he has done this, he seemed like a genuine teacher that wanted to help and his references checked out." spoke Kane. 

Putting the phone on speaker, as he wanted to keep it all out in the open as Zac was another teacher he respected. The number rang and rang, "I am sorry this number has been disconnected, please try again." 

Kane tried it again to see if he got the right number and the same message replayed, "Doesn't want to be caught." 

"I'll report it to the police, thank you for your help. I am going to back to the house to get my child some gear as she's staying in hospital tonight." Zac frowned and left.

-------------

Peter had set up surveillance on the house where no one would see it, Alf had left the back door open. He put a camera in the lounge and in Zac and Leah's room, because he was a perv like that. Going back to his room and turned on the laptop to start watching, he noticed that Zac had come home alone and rushed up the stairs, changing into a normal clothes. And then went out the door closing it behind him, when Peter saw him down stairs he had a small pink bag and a teddy in his hands. Grabbing his keys he closed up the house, and left. 

----------

Returning to the hospital, he walked in with a milkshake and coffees he grabbed from the cafeteria. 

"A strawberry milkshake, for our princess and cappuccino's for us," he smiled at Leah leaning down and kissing her. 

Charlie took the milkshake and eagerly began to drink it. Kat then arrived, "Zac you called for me, sorry I was on my lunch break. Oh no! What happened to young Charlie?"

"A teacher, Frank Dean, shoved her off the monkey bars, the principal tried contacting him but his phone has since been disconnected." spoke Zac. Leah frowned, wrapping her arm around Zac's waist. 

Kat nodded, "Alright, I will have to go to the school get the footage of the playground to see if we can identify this Frank Dean, thank you and I am terribly sorry to see her in hospital. You feel better soon, Charlie." 

"Thankies, Miss Police Kat." giggled Charlie.

Zac chuckled a breath, "Police Kat." 

Leah smiled, "It's cute." 

-----------

Five PM neared and Nate had come into let Zac and Leah know it was time to go, and they frowned, "You be good now,"

"I don't want you to go!" cried Charlie, tears streaming already.

"But you have always wanted to have a sleepover with Uncle Nate!" grinned Zac.

"Nate's going to tell you all these funny stories about your Daddy, you want to hear those don't you?" encouraged Leah. "And he's got Bambi for you." 

"Bambi?" grinned Charlie, her excitement now growing. "Please can I stay with Uncle Nate? We can watch Bambi together!" 

Bambi was Charlie's favourite movie, "Of course," smiled Leah and Zac both giving her a kiss on her forehead, "Goodnight Princess."

"Night Mummy, Daddy! See you tomorrow!" Charlie grinned and frowned as they left. And then looked to Uncle Nate.

"Have you got lollies?" she inquired. 

"I can get some," he chuckled. 

--------------------

Zac and Leah had now been home for a few minutes and the house felt strange, "It's our first night away from her, ever." commented Zac.

"We've always wished for time alone," sighed Leah.

"But not like this," frowned Zac, Leah moved over to him and wrapped her arms around him. 

"Well let's just think she will enjoy her time with Nate, so why not enjoy our time?" asked Leah.

"Want to watch a movie or something?" asked Zac.

"A movie sounds absolutely perfect." smiled Leah.

------------

Peter zoomed in on them, smirking, he could not hear what they were saying he didn't have time to set up the audio, but it was fine for now. After all this was just small on what he had planned for them. 

----------

Zac and Leah had been watching the movie carefully, before it ended. They were cuddled up to each other and Leah looked at him, "I love you so much," her hand rubbed his face and he smiled at her.

"I love you too, Leah, more than ever." smiled Zac leaning down and capturing her in a deep and passionate kiss, slightly turning towards her so they could deepen it, her arms moved eagerly around his neck.

The door came flying open, Alf stormed through the door. "Flaming Roo! Why on earth would you get back with James? He hurt you!" 

Roo came flying in after him, "Because he's left her and he wants a proper chance!" 

Alf looked over at her angry, "All he will do is hurt you! Destroy you! I thought you'd know better Roo!" 

"Shh Dad you may wake Charlie up!" whispered Roo, loudly. 

"You won't," spoke Zac. "She is in the hospital for the night." 

-----------------------

Nate had gotten popcorn and her dinner of mac n cheese for her and they sat watching Bambi, his arms crossed over his chest grinning. This made him miss Casey, but Ricky made her decision to go on the run with the likes of Brax and he knew that at that time their marriage was rushed and fake, and he had Tori now, a smile on his face. 

"Uncle Nate," whispered Charlie. 

"Yes, munchkin?" smiled Nate.

"Can you get me a deer?" she smiled at him, her innocent eyes gleaming. 

Nate never thought he'd hear that, normally kids wanted a normal animal like a dog, cat or a rabbit, even a guinea pig. "A deer? I don't think your mother and father would appreciate me bringing a deer home to you. What would you name the deer?"

Charlie looked offended, "Uncle Nate, Bambi of course! Then I'll get a rabbit and name him Thumper and then I'll ask Daddy to get me a lion so I can call him Simba." 

"Well a lion will eat you," spoke Nate. "I don't think they'll be buying you a lion." He tried his hardest not to laugh at how cute she was being.

"But Simba doesn't eat people! Simba is nice! So if I name the lion Simba it won't eat me!" pouted Charlie.

Nate smiled and laughed, "You can ask your dad for a deer, rabbit and a lion tomorrow." 

-------

Alf and Roo had both calmed down, "A teacher hurt her? That's cruel! I hope Nate or Tori are with her! She must be so scared!" frowned Roo.

"Nate's with her, and she seems to be fine. Hey we're about to watch another movie before bed, care to join us?" asked Zac, rubbing Leah's thigh contently. 

"Oh no, we've ruined your peace and quiet, I'm heading off home. I don't need to stay and be judged," she eyed her father and rushed out. 

"I'm just going to head to bed guys, night," spoke Alf. 

Zac felt awkward, and turned to Leah. "Oh please don't let Charlie and I fight like that ever!" he whispered. 

"Never!" She smiled and leaned up and kissed him again... 

-----------

What does Peter need to film them for? And isn't Charlie cute? Just wait until she asks her Dad for the lion. 

:wub: My computer survived the update, and it's much better! SO HAPPY. :D 

Thank you Ludub! Kristen! ~JarlieFanEver~! For your continued support. 

Chapter Four: Of Laughs and Smiles.

It had been a long night for both Zac and Leah, but for Nate also who had regularly woken up Charlie to make sure she was alright, who got annoyed at him every single time because she was enjoying her sleep. Zac and Leah had gone to bed and for the first time in a good few weeks actually managed to have some couple time, to which of Peter's disgust. He didn't mind seeing Leah, but he didn't want to see Zac. But then he should have expected it, his plan failed yet again. Which made him more mad and more determined to make Zac hurt.

Morning came and Zac and Leah were already anxious to head off to the hospital, "I wonder how she handled being woken up every two hours," wondered Leah.

"Probably like you do, roll over and put the blankets over your head," he teased. Zac had already contacted Greg taking the day off to look after his daughter.

"And about that job, Leah, please, take it. You want it, this was a freak attack, I am sure that teacher won't rear his head near that school again," spoke Zac.

Leah looked at him, a look of concern. "I have to have my phone off with clients though, what if she's majorly hurt and you can't get there either?"

"We will deal with it, put it on silent." spoke Zac. "Compromise with them, but you need this. Leah, you want this for our future. For Charlie's future, VJ and Hunter's." 

Leah nodded, remembering all the reasons she decided to look for a more paying job, to get a new house for all of them to have a future. 

"Alright, I'll take the job." smiled Leah, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressed her lip to his. 

Kissing her back, resting his head on her forehead, "Good, I love you." 

---------

Nate had gotten up earlier, to go fetch Charlie some breakfast, which consisted of Peanut butter toast and some chopped up fresh fruit, along with strawberry milk. She was excited, also she was wanting to see her mother and father too.

"I'm going to ask Daddy for a lion, a deer and a rabbit today," nodded Charlie as she munched on her breakfast, as Nate sat with her. 

"Are you? Do you think he will say yes?" a small smile on his face. 

"Of course! Daddy loves me!" nodded Charlie.

"I know he does," smiled Nate as Tori entered.

"Hey you," smiled Tori and gave him a quick kiss, "How was she?"

"Woke up every time, concussion didn't last as long as expected." smiled Nate. "You won't believe what she's going to ask her dad for today, why don't you tell Tori, what you are going to ask for Charlie?"

She gleamed up at Tori, "I'm going to ask Daddy for a lion, a deer and a rabbit!"

Tori's eyes raised, "A lion, but would that not eat the deer and then you?" 

"Simba doesn't eat anybody! No lion will eat Bambi! Or me!" she crossed her arms, pouting. 

Tori chuckled, "How adorable are you!" 

Charlie smiled and ate her fruit. 

"Where's Mummy and Daddy?" she asked.

"They'll be here soon, then they can take you home." smiled Nate. 

------------

It was two hours before Zac and Leah showed up, "Sorry we got distracted," smiled Zac. They'd been cleaning up the house, and discussing her new job. They really did lose track of time.

Nate entered the room with them, "Look who's here!" 

"Mummy! Daddy!" Charlie was off the bed and ran at them and hugging their waists. "I've missed you so much!"

"We missed you too!" smiled Leah. Zac rubbed her hair and she got back up on the bed.

"Did you have a fun night?" asked Zac.

"Uncle Nate is so cool!" beamed Charlie. "We watched Bambi, ate lollies, Finding Nemo and The Lion King! It was so fun! But he kept waking me up," pouted Charlie.

"For your own health, young lady," teased Nate.

"Daddy," she grinned a little too much.

Zac looked at her, tilting his head. "Yes princess?"

Nate was already chuckling, and looked at Leah and softly shook his head.

"Can I get a deer?" she asked.

Zac looked at her, "A deer?"

"Yes! Bambi!" she nodded. 

"I'll think about it," he smiled at her, it was really a no, but he didn't want to upset his daughter. Leah smiled.

"Daddy?" she asked again.

"Yes?" he chuckled.

"Can I get a rabbit and name him Thumper?" She smiled up at him, batting her eyelashes.

"Perhaps a rabbit would be okay, if it's okay with your mother and Alf." wondered Zac.

"Maybe," added Leah.

"Daddy! This the important one," smiled Charlie.

"What is it?" asked Zac.

"Can I please, please, please, please have a lion?" asked Charlie.

Zac started to laugh, "You're pulling my leg, no way ever will you be having a lion! They eat people! And if we got you the deer and the rabbit, the lion would eat those too!" 

Leah was laughing, "Too cute." 

Charlie pouted, "Simba does not eat!"

"Simba is a cartoon, but real lions do baby, they're wild and dangerous!" explained Zac.

---------

Peter had gone out to grab supplies, planning something to do to Leah, and Zac. But he wasn't sure when exactly he was going to put the rest of his plan into place. He wasn't ready to move onwards with things right now. Thinking the slower the burn, the more scared and anxious they would get. 

"Thank you very much for these," sounding British, and wearing a darker haired wig. 

"You're very welcome, darl," smiled Irene as he then left the diner.

A risk, paid off.

---------

Zac had driven his family home, and Charlie ran inside straight for her dolls house, "I've missed you!" she cooed to her toys. Zac looked at Leah and smiled, brightly. 

"A lion?" he whispered.

"I know, how cute though? She seemed to think her logic was pure," giggled Leah, quietly as they watched her pull her dolls out and hug them one by one, and begin to play with them. 

Zac went over to open the other door noticing a note taped to the door. 

I hope your precious daughter is alright, after her fall. I've missed you L.

Zac narrowed his eyes at this, and flipped it over to see if there was a name, "What's this?" He stared at Leah, holding it out towards her.

------------

Short, I know, but I'm stuck at the plan, I know how it ends, relatively. But I can't figure out how to build it up. Who wrote the note? And does it start to cause a little tension between the happy couple?

Thanks a bunch for the continued support! :wub:

Chapter Five: Stop! Nothing Happened!

Leah looked over at him, curious by his tone of voice, it was laced with acquisition and some hurt by what was said on the note, she took the piece of what seemed like parchment paper and read the note, she burrowed her eyes at it and looked up him, "I don't know Zac."

Zac looked at her confused, and a bit hurt by the letter. "Really? I've missed you L, I am sure no one else in this house has a name starting with L, Leah, so what does it mean?" 

Leah felt hurt, Zac was upset and she could tell, but she had nothing to do with this note or whatever it means, "I have nothing to do with this note, Zac, I don't know who wrote it. I swear." Tears were in her eyes, looking at his own rejected ones. 

"Sure you do! You must have! Is it really that hard to tell me the truth if you cheated?" frowned Zac.

"Stop! Nothing happened I am with you, I love you!" she cried at him, trying to take his hands but he stood back.

He shook his head, "I'm going for a walk." He flung the note at her. Walking out, leaving a stunned Leah there. A lot had happened the past few days, and she could understand the reaction to something like this. Leah stared at the letter and looked around the house, and back to Charlie who looked at them wide eyed, scared.

"Are you and Daddy fighting? You never fight!" she cried at her mother. 

Leah walked over to her, and put her arms around her daughter, "I know, but a lot has happened these last two days. Something has just tipped it over the edge, it's okay I hope we can work it out. In the meantime, let's play with your dolls." 

"You and daddy laugh together, isn't that what matters? You have me!" she cooed at her mother. "Okay!"

Leah looked at her daughter, wondering about her logic in all this. "Love is what matters, beautiful." 

---------

Zac walked down to the beach, going up onto a sand dune and sat down, curling his arms around his legs. He didn't know what to think, after Charlie's accident it all felt a little too much for him. He did wonder, what happens if she has cheated on him? If that is what the undertone means in the 'I've missed you L.' Or what if it was something deeper? Some ex has missed her? He didn't know what to think, he sighed. 

Irene had been walking along the beach, and was about to go up to their house to see how Charlie was, but seeing Zac up on the beach made her wonder if everything truly was alright. "Are you okay, darl?"

"I don't know, if I am honest, Irene." frowned Zac. "I just don't know what to think anymore."

"What happened?" asked Irene.

"We got home, and there was a note on the back door, saying 'I hope your precious daughter is alright, after her fall. I've missed you L.' I just, wonder what it means." sighed Zac. "If she's..."

Irene sighed, "Let me stop you right there, Leah loves the bones out of you boy, she wouldn't ever do that to you. It must mean something else. She wouldn't, not ever!" 

Zac looked at her, "She couldn't give an explanation for it."

Zac looked down after silence filled the air, Irene spoke up, "Zac, I've never seen a couple so deserving of each other than you and Leah, she wouldn't do this to you." 

Zac looked up, "Maybe you are right." He stood up, "I should get home."

-------------

Peter could tell that they had, had a fight and he was surprised how well that note worked, now he made a plan for the next note, in a few days time. Already writing it, and putting it in a envelope, and putting it in his cupboard for when he planned to use it, going back to the surveillance cameras and watched Leah play with her daughter and their dolls.

---------

Zac opened the protector door and entered the house, Leah turned her head and looked at him, worried, wondering what he would say. 

"I overreacted," he admitted, his voice faint. "I am sorry, I shouldn't have accused you of cheating."

"I would never do that, Zac, I love you, you are the love of my life and I fall in love with you more every single day that I am with you." 

He walked over to her, taking her face in her hands, "I just got worried, after everything with Charlie. I am sorry. I love you, I love you so much and the thought of ever losing you scares me to death." 

She leaned up and kissed him, and he kissed her back, taking her in his arms and deeply kissed her. Charlie groaned, "Yucky!" 

They pulled back and turned to their daughter, "Sorry baby." admitted Zac.

"Don't fight with Mummy! You wuv each other!" Admitted Charlie. "Play dollies with me, Mummy, Daddy?"

Zac chuckled, "Right, okay!"

Zac walked over and sat down next to Charlie, Leah taking a seat to Charlie's left and each took a doll and began to spend time with their child. Leah and Zac took each other's hand and held, behind their daughter. 

------------

Peter growled out loud, "Unbelievable!"

He started to pace, "This is not working, need to put that letter out sooner than needed, right tomorrow."

"Actually, I have a better idea." stated Peter and he grinned, "Now to hope it happens soon!" He knew what he wanted in his head, it just had to be made by Leah. 

------------

What is it that Peter had planned? Can Zac really get over that note?  

Thanks for the support! 

NOTE: A bit of a time jump! 

Chapter Six: Hurt.

It had been a week since that note appeared, and things seemed to calm down, though deep down it still bothered Zac but not because he thought she was cheating he just wanted to know who it was, and why they sent it and how they knew about Charlie. He had a thought that it could have been that teacher, but he wanted to let it go now, Leah had an induction night for her work as she took the job, and they wanted her to meet all the staff.

"Have a good time my love, I'll see you later tonight." he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"See you! Charlie behave!" she smiled to her daughter and took off out the door. Zac smiled and turned to Charlie. 

"Right! Movies? Finding Dory?" asked Zac grabbing his wallet and keys.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" grinned Charlie hopping off her chair and running over to Zac pulling him by his legs. Zac picked her up and kissed her cheek.

"Little cheeky Princess aren't you? We still have to drive to the cinemas." he smiled.

-------

Peter smirked, this was perfect, just what he had wanted to happen, for Leah to be away and out and about, away from Zac. Meaning his plan would work.

Zac would have to believe the next note, at least he hoped he did removing it from his cupboard he placed it near the door to deliver it just after lunchtime tomorrow. 

-----

The night was faring well for both Leah and Zac, they were both having fun. Zac was enjoying his movie night out with his daughter, as she was so into the movie she had cuddled up to him, holding the Finding Dory plush toy close to her body.

Leah had been having some orange juice and speaking with a young prison guard, named Aaron, he was really nice and was keen to let her in on some of the information about how the prison works, and she was happy to have that kind of prior knowledge. A lot of the youth hadn't been with any other but men, to see a woman could trigger them, so she had to just protect herself a little. Wearing a wedding ring may not be the only crutch, photos of your husband, minus child would be a solution, and help a little and a non-touching way. As she may not be only helping the reformed youth. 

Other than that, she was having a blast getting to know her coworkers. 

--------

It was about 9PM when Zac carried his daughter into the house, who had her arms wrapped around his neck, and her head on his shoulder, asleep. Zac held onto her Finding Dory toy and carried her up to bed, taking her shoes off and tucking her in for the night, putting Dory in the bed with her, rubbing her hair once he turned on her night light and then turned off her light and shut the door quietly so he didn't wake her up. 

Leah wasn't home yet, but he wasn't concerned he went back down stairs and began to clean up from the afternoon play that happened with party poppers and string foam. He couldn't believe the things Charlie wanted to do with her time after her homework, and he laughed. VJ would be home tomorrow night so he wanted the house to look like it wasn't being controlled by a five year old, hyperactive happy child. Charlie was amazing but Zac was tired, and he had a lot to think about the last week. The note did still bother him, but he was trying to put it behind him. He knew Leah didn't cheat, that was an overreaction, and he had been spending the whole week trying to make up for it.

---------

It was now morning, Leah had gotten home around 11AM last night, after having a great time, Zac had dispersed to bed around 10PM and was already out to it like a light before she got home. "Hey I didn't hear you come in lastnight." Zac said, after opening his eyes to see his wife staring at him from her side of the bed.

"You were out to it like a light, I take it she wore you out." laughed Leah.

"We went and saw Finding Dory, and I couldn't get her into the car after it, she wanted to go see another movie but I told her she wasn't allowed too," laughed Zac. "We went for ice cream after, and then she fell asleep in the car on the way home. What time did you get in? I tried to wait up." 

"About 11, was such a great night, all the staff are very friendly, only a few females on the payroll though, but that's cause it's a male orientated juvenile detention center I suppose. I was told hat to have in my office and whatnot to put up, like pictures of Charlie, because of some of the offenders that may come into my office."

"Yeah, that's true, you don't know if in the back of their mind their thoughts could still be dangerous, to keep her safe best to keep her out of conversations, VJ, Hunter too." spoke Zac, thinking of his own experience working in the prison system and now his own wife was doing so. "Picture of your husband, could help too, and no physical contact too."

"Yeah Aaron said, a prison guard there who filled me in on some of their histories of some prisoners that I may have to see, that aren't up for parole anytime soon," spoke Leah. She grinned at him, "Other than all that it was a great night, I noticed you cleaned up." 

"Well VJ gets home tonight, I don't want Charlie's stuff crowding the place." sighed Zac. 

"Teachers only day for Charlie, so she's home all day anyway," laughed Leah. 

----------

Peter delivered the Note into the letter box, wearing a dark cap and carried on walking down the driveway deterring around the back to head back to his camp site, he desperately wanted to see how this one played out. He sat down, and began to munch on his oatmeal. 

"Please work, I really don't have to need to resort to my plan to make them pay do I?" he looked at a picture, and turned back to the cameras watching them all get up for breakfast. 

---------

It was about 11AM when Zac went out to check the mail, he noticed another random paper and opened it after reading the title. Thank you for last night, L.

He stopped outside the house and sat down on the bench table he had out there, and opened it. 

What was in it certainly took him by surprise.

He read: Last night was very special to me, L. I can't help but write a letter of thanks. Your passion is large. You are fantastic. Hope to do it again soon, hope you're child is well. 

Zac felt his stomach churn, and his head swam with possibilities. Why would this happen to him? What did he ever do wrong? He thought they were going strong. Her passion is large. That's what he said to her on their wedding day meaning multiple things and certainly intimately too. He didn't know what to do, Charlie was inside and he didn't want to have a fight with her in front of their daughter. But he wanted answers.

He got up and went inside, "Daddy! We're making pizza for lunch do you want to help me,  and Grampa Alf?" grinned Charlie. Charlie called Alf grampa from the day she could talk properly. And it stuck to her like mud, Alf completely adored Charlie so it was totally an honor. 

"Uh no, how about you do that with grampa Alf and I go talk Mummy into getting desert?" lied Zac. He would be talking to his wife. 

"Okays!"

-------

Peter smirked, he saw the note held in his hand as he saw Zac put the rest of the mail on the table before he darted towards the stairs. He wondered how this one would go down. 

---------

Zac entered the bedroom, Leah was just in her towel after her shower. "Oh! Zac you gave me a fright." She spoke looking at him through the mirror, she noticed how quiet he was, and his semi-rigid frame. "Are you okay?"

"Do you expect me to be? Why were you really home late?" asked Zac flinging the paper at her. She bent down and picked it up, sighing, another note. 

She read it, and she saw exactly why he was angry. The line he said at the wedding was written down there, her eyes filled with tears. He was angry at her, "Zac these are just kids, messing with us. I have not done anything! Why would I? I have you? Charlie..."

"Maybe we're not good enough for you anymore! Maybe I am boring!" yelled Zac.

Alf looked up the stairs, and took the paste off of Charlie, "How about an ice cream at the surf club?"

Charlie looked at Alf, scared, she nodded small. Taking his hand. As they left the house, Alf looked up towards their bedroom concerned about what was going on. Zac was never usually mad. 

Leah looked at him, trying to reach for him. "I haven't I promise you! You are the one!" 

"Don't! Just don't touch me!" Zac backed off of her, his own jealousy. "The thought of another man." he closed his eyes, "You being passionate with another man, it kills me. Maybe I shouldn't be jealous, afterall, I got lucky having you. Maybe you found better!" 

Leah shook her head, "No one will be better, you are the best. No one else has been intimate with me, but you. No other has kissed me, but you. I'm not lying Zac. If I cheated on you, that'll be the end of me. I swore on my wedding day that I will love you until the end of my days, and that has not changed. Please, just calm down and think rationally." 

"Think rationally?!" boomed Zac. "Your passion is large, Leah, I said that on our wedding day!" he frowned. Maybe he was being irrational and he went and sat down on the bed, his head bent down and hands rested on the back of his head. 

Leah stared at him, hurt deepening in her eyes. "I wouldn't do it to you, Zac, I wouldn't hurt you in that way, I don't want to hurt you at all!" She slowly got on the bed, noticing he remained still she moved over to him with caution, she didn't want to having him reject her if she touched him. She softly moved over to him, "Come on Zac, I love you so much." She slowly put her arms around his neck her hands resting on his heart. "Never, please, believe me." 

Zac fought the battle he was having in his mind, and his heart knew she was telling the truth, he wanted to believe his heart. He let out a shaky breath, "Please don't lie to me." 

"I'm not!" she pulled at him to lean back, so she could hold him tighter, he let her and she cuddled him. "Please, I am not. I don't know who they are, and I don't know why they would use your words from the wedding. It's just kids, playing a prank. Maybe it's some kid that doesn't like us from school. I didn't do this, I wouldn't." 

Zac let out a breath and leaned his head back before moving and turning around, the minute he looked at her regret filled him thoroughly. He felt sick, he went to open his mouth and he looked down. Leah took his face, "What is it?" 

"I'm sorry," whispered Zac, barely audible. He didn't have an explanation for this one, "I was jealous. I didn't want to hear anything but what I thought, I am sorry."

Leah rubbed his face, being the forgiving person she was, she forgave him. "I forgive you, I really do. Whatever happens from now on, we don't fight in front of Charlie and if there's anymore stupid notes to come, we talk about it rationally. I can get Aaron to tell you I was there until 10:30 and it takes me thirty minutes to get home," spoke Leah. 

"You don't need to prove anything to me, I believe you, I am an idiot. They're making pizza," he smiled, "I am sure she's fine."

--------

Charlie sat with Alf nibbling on the ice cream she got, "Are Mummy and Daddy okay?" She frowned. VJ came in, as he got out of class early. 

Alf frowned, "I don't know, I've never heard him yell before." 

"There's the squirt!" grinned VJ.

"VJ!" Charlie screeched getting off the chair running at him,

"Hey Squirt, what happened to your arm?!" he wondered picking her up and giving her a hug, "Hey Mr Stewart!" 

"Hey young man, how is uni?" asked Alf, smiling as Charlie then sat on her chair and picked at her ice cream again.

"It's great, what happened to her?" asked VJ.

"A teacher pushed me off the monkey bars and broke my arm, I had to stay at the hospital with Uncle Nate!"

-----------

Zac stood in the bedroom, he needed air to cool himself down and to get the thoughts out of his head. "I just need to go to the gym, clear my head, get rid of the anger." 

Leah frowned and nodded, watching him quickly get changed into his gym gear and went out the door and down towards his car, rushing to the gym where he entered the surf club and saw Alf, Charlie and VJ ignoring them he went straight into the gym.

"Is everything okay there too?" asked VJ, noticing Zac just bypass them.

"He yelled at Mummy before, and they had an argument the other day too" frowned Charlie. 

VJ narrowed his eyes, and walked into the gym. "Hey Zac, are you and Mum okay? Charlie said you were fighting earlier. And the other day or so."

Zac punched the bag, "Great, now to be grilled by you that I made a mistake." 

"What do you mean?" asked VJ grabbing the boxing bag to spot him.

"Last week there was a note, saying that they missed Leah, and I assumed it was cheating. Another note came this morning, that her passion is large, and that they hope to do it again soon. Leah assures me it's just kids playing pranks, but my mind is running wild." frowned Zac. His guilt over disbelieving her taking over. "I should have believed her when she said no the first time, and now I feel guilty cause I upset her."

"Mum wouldn't cheat Zac, she isn't that person, she would never be that person," spoke VJ, "You love her, your love for her, and the thought of some one taunting you about your marriage does put doubts in your head, and I am sure she understands that. Just keep apologizing, and make sure whatever happens you talk about it like adults. You really upset Charlie, you need to assure her you both are okay." 

Zac nodded and walked out to Charlie, "Hey Princess. I'm sorry about yelling at Mummy earlier, it won't happen again, I promise." 

Charlie hugged him, "Can we go home now and see mummy?" 

-----------

Zac took Charlie, and VJ home, Leah was in the kitchen, trying to not let their fight get to her, but it wasn't working. She cried, a little. Before she heard the door open and Charlie ran to her, "Mummy?" she questioned, her eyes wide at the sight of her mother crying. Zac rounded the corner to the kitchen and saw her. 

"Leah, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, I know and I believe you. I'll never doubt you again, I promise. I let my jealousy get the better of me, there has to be a rational explanation to why they're making notes. Taunting me, us, it's not right and I'll not let it bother me anymore, I swear. I love you." he looked at her, frowning. 

Leah moved and hugged him, she just wanted him to hold her back, like he used too, He wrapped his arms tightly around her rubbing her back. "I love you." 

"I love you too, Zac. VJ! When did you get back?" asked Leah.

"Just awhile ago, I was going to see how Billie is doing now being the manager of Angelo's," spoke VJ, "But I ran into Mr Stewart and Squirt here, instead. She told me you and Zac argued, I knocked some sense into him too."

---------

Peter growled again, and tried to decide how to go about the next note, and plan, maybe use something about the note. Try and find more personal nicknames that they both used for each other, especially ones that Leah uses for Zac. He sighed, rubbing his temples. He wanted the tension to build slowly. He wanted them to suffer slowly, for his plan to culminate, for it to truly be worth it. He laid back in his chair staring at the screen.

-----------

Bit of a longer chapter, don't worry Zac won't be jealous again. I has a plan thanks to the help of Ludub! :wub:

Thank you all for the support! 

Thanks again for everyone's support :D I got the chapter numbers wrong, so I altered the last one. This is mean to be Chapter seven now. 

Chapter Seven: Worried It's the Beginning of the End.

To say things were okay were a bit foreign for Leah, Zac had gone back to complete normal with her, he didn't seem bothered by the note. But Leah, she was, stupid kids messing with their relationship. What if there was another to come? The way Zac blew up last time, could totally spell the end of their relationship. She was terrified of that happening, she didn't want to lose Zac, after all the things that they went through and she did, before she met him. She got the man of her dreams, and she wanted to keep that, desperately. 

Zac knew he had done wrong by his outburst the other day, he just wanted to forget about it and carry on with their life, he was terrified of losing her. And the thought of having someone else say something about her, so intimately of passion and things tipped his jealousy over the edge. He regretted it since it all spilled out of his mouth, he had hoped whoever it was doing this had, had their fun and would back off. Though he noticed the cracks in his relationship with her, starting to form since that day. She didn't seem herself, she tried to be and he wanted to make it right. 

"How can I make this better?" he asked her from their bedroom door, as she got dressed. 

"We're fine, Zac," she smiled, faintly. 

"No we aren't, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells, and I understand. We fought and it's not okay," sighed Zac.

"It's alright, I can understand why you thought something was going on," sighed Zac.

Leah walked over and kissed him, deeply, "It's alright."

----------------------

Peter had been working hard on his plan, and it was almost time to step it up. But he wanted a few more notes to put out before he made verbal, and physical threats. He wanted their marriage on more rocky edges than they seem to be, he could tell that they were still deeply in love and weren't ready to split up, but hopefully continuing to taunt Zac would be the better option.

Sneaking to the letterbox he left yet another note, for Zac to find. 

-----------------

Leah walked into the diner for her one day weekend half shift, and Irene looked at her, sensing her unhappiness. "Everything okay, darl?"

She was hinting about the fight they had last week, as Irene hadn't seen much of Leah since then. "I don't honestly know, Zac and I had a massive fight the other day. He got a letter from someone saying something, and one of the lines was 'Your passion is large.' Zac said that to me, on our wedding day-"

"I remember, and someone sent this to him?" asked Irene. "Oh you poor thing."

"And that they hoped to do it again soon, what again soon? I've not done anything and he didn't want to hear it. He was so jealous, but I've never seen him so angry before. Not at me, at least." she frowned.

"I don't know darl, I know you aren't cheating on him..." frowned Irene.

"I'm worried Irene, I love Zac so much and I'm worried this, that this is the beginning of the end." sighed Leah, beginning to furiously chop up carrots. Being careful not to chop her fingers off too. 

"Then don't let it, fight for him, make him see he's the one for you that he always has been darl, you love that man you show him." spoke Irene.

---------

VJ and Charlie had headed out, they were going up to see Hunter for the day. Zac had the house to himself for the day, Alf had left to go fishing for a few days unable to win his battle with Roo about James, who had now fell head over heels again. 

Zac began to clean up, and head out to the beach for a run, as he cleaned up the lounge he looked at their wedding photo, reminding himself of all the love that he and Leah both share for each other, and he didn't want that to change. He then finished up, and went out to collect the mail. Seeing the same typical paper of what the last notes came in on he frowned, not again. 

He opened it, I see your husband learnt about us, such a shame. Is that why you haven't been around lately? I do really miss you. I'll see you again soon, you promised something naughty, like naughty nurse. It took everything in Zac to not storm down the road to the diner and have a go at Leah. He read it again, he looked out towards the vast view of the land, and he growled. This seemed to frequent, and it was bothering him. He stuffed the paper into his pants and went back inside and looked around. Why was kids doing this? He then pulled the note back out, and read the last line. It was not something Leah would do, he knew that. 

Fear crept up his spine, someone had to be messing with them. Someone had to be targeting them, he couldn't believe the notes now, when he knew Leah would never dress up as a nurse for some sexual fantasy of a man's dream. He knew something was up now, and he would talk about it with Leah when she got home. He did however close the back door, and sat down on the couch, flagging his run for the day. 

------------

Leah had finished her day at the diner and headed out for the walk home along the beach, Irene had given her tips, and suggestions to help Zac and her mend the fight. And to not worry Charlie anymore, Leah had smiled when VJ said he was taking his sister up to see Hunter as she had been asking for him for ages. 

Leah walked up the path to see Zac pacing along the walkway to the caravan park. He seemed puzzled and confused, Leah felt the dread of what could come when he noticed her, she could sense his anger. But she didn't know if it was at him. Leah slowly walked over, "Zac?"

He turned around, wide-eyed and looked at her, "Hey, you're home. We need to talk, I got another letter. And I know they're fake. Someone is targeting us." 

"It's just kids Zac, they'll learn the hard way, so let's not let us bother us." sighed Leah. "What did the note say this time that made you believe they're fake?"

"I see your husband learnt about us, such a shame. Is that why you haven't been around lately? I do really miss you. I'll see you again soon, you promised something naughty, like naughty nurse," frowned Zac.

"You know that I wouldn't do that for just anyone, or anyone at all really," frowned Leah, "I mean if you asked..." 

His eyebrows raised, "Really?" he inquired, his voice rather playful. 

"Maybe." She laughed, she eyed him. Noting the playful look in his eyes.

"Not really my thing, though." chuckled Zac, "Police officer though." He joked, "Kidding."

"I know," she poked her tongue out. 

"Let's get through this together." Zac said, he was still fairly certain that it wasn't kids, he just had to figure out who it was.

-------------

Peter sighed as he noticed them play around in the back yard, tickling and cuddling each other. He knew now it was time to turn things nasty, "You asked for it, Leah." 

-----------

Time to pick things up, still gonna go at medium pace. 

Sorry for the delay in posting. Hadn't been feeling where to take this. But I have a fair idea.

The continued support and feedback truly means a lot! 

NOTE: A DEATH IN THIS CHAPTER OF AN ANIMAL (RODENT - NO EXPLICIT DETAIL.) YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! 

Chapter Eight: Game On.

Peter had been deep within the shrubs of the bush on the outskirts of the caravan park, looking for a specific thing. once he found what he was looking for a medium sized rat, he killed it swiftly, smirking. He stalked back to his caravan, putting in in a box with 'Game On' written on paper, he closed the box. He slipped out while everyone was still out and put it at their doorstep. 

Charlie had woken up early, she was so excited that she had got to see her brother. Running down the stairs to the yard to go play with the bike that Hunter had brought her. She grinned as she opened the door. She noticed the box, and picked it up carrying it inside. She sat it down on the table and got up on the chair, and opened it.

----

Leah and Zac were lying in bed, just talking aimlessly and laughing until they heard an ear pitching scream, from downstairs. Zac bolted up, "Charlie!" 

He kept hearing her scream, VJ, Alf, and him both bolted out the room at the same time, Zac just in his boxers got to the stairs first and bolted down the stairs. Charlie was at the table screaming and almost in tears at the box, "Charlie! What's going on?" he said looking at her, and she turned and bolted towards him her hands already up in the air. He picked her up and she held on tight to him. He walked up to the box, and peeked in side. 

"Oh god!" he turned away from it, a spare hand going to his mouth, trying not to gag. "Now it's dead rats?!" 

Zac rubbed his daughters head, VJ and Leah both going to look at the box, "Game on?" wondered VJ.

"It's just kids," sighed Leah, "It has to be. They'll grow old, have a word with Greg. See if he can sift through any of students that may have an issue with you Zac."

Zac wasn't certain, now he was more worried than ever he went and shut the door still holding on to his frightened terrified daughter. "She's terrified, Leah!" He frowned. "This has to be something more."

Leah shook her head, but came over to them, her hand resting on his back and leaned into him, "It's alright baby, we'll all be okay. It's just silly games."

"But why the rat, what does that mean? Why be so mean?" frowned Charlie, still hugging her dad with all the strength a five year old could muster. 

"I don't know baby, just try not to let it worry you. How about waffles for breakfast?" asked Leah.

"With Caramel?" smiled Charlie still leaning her head on her father's chest. Zac went and sat down with her, still in his lap, she curled into him.

"Of course, beautiful. Waffles for you too, love? VJ?" asked Leah.

"Yes, sure." nodded VJ taking the box and going out and putting it in the trash.

-------

Peter watched carefully, he felt kind of bad that the child found it, but it was still progress.  He noticed them not take much of the bait, but he could tell Zac was concerned by his attitude, looking around. Peter hoped he didn't start checking the house, he didn't want the cameras to be found. Desperately needed them to stay in the house. He needed to keep on the lay low make sure he wasn't noticed.

Zac had put his daughter in the chair next to him, but she had kept trying to hold onto him, he sighed. "How pathetic child, it's just a rat."

--------

Zac looked at her, "I need to put some clothes on, it's really not cool that I stay down here in boxers now is it?" he chuckled.

Charlie looked at him, and pouted.

"I don't mind," teased Leah.

He smirked at her, "Too bad," he rushed up the stairs changing and dressing before coming back down the stairs. 

----------

After waffles, VJ took Charlie out to the beach to distract her before he heads back to uni in the morning.  Zac had been concerned about the rat, and looked at Leah once the kids were gone. 

"This is getting strange, first it's about you apparently cheating when you haven't and now they're sending us dead rats? Isn't that a death threat?" sighed Zac.

"I think you are reacting too much over it, I swear, Zac give them a few more tricks and they'll be done." soothed Leah, worried that Zac was thinking too far ahead. She really didn't want anything else happening to them. Not after all that they'd been through in the almost seven years that they'd been together. 

Zac frowned, "I just don't want this to happen to us again, after Peter." 

Leah looked at him, "Peter's in jail, we would have heard if he got parole, so it can't be him." spoke Leah, confident.

Zac nodded, "You're right." he lied.

--------

Short Chapter. Next chapter will be interesting! 

So sorry for being so long in updating, I've become obsessed with 'The Conjuring' franchise. :o

Chapter Nine: Asinine. 

It had been a week since the rat, and things had calmed down. Zac had calmed somewhat down, and was slowly recovering from his anger and agitation towards the things that were happening, Leah had made more of an effort to listen to Zac when he was frustrated at things that bothered him. No one at school seemed to show any distaste towards him, or his wife, so there were no leads to help him figure out why. 

It was late afternoon, he was at home from work early as it was a half day before the holidays. Charlie was outside with VJ as he was on holidays too. As the phone went off he got up and answered, "Summer Bay Caravan park, Zac MacGuire speaking."

"Hello, this is James Winters, I am the parole officer. I wanted to let you know, Peter Baker went up for parole today, and went up to Cairns, he shouldn't be a bother to you. If he contacts, threatens, returns to Summer Bay let us know as it'll violate his terms of his release. Have a good day sir." 

Zac hung up, and turned around as Leah came in. Peter being out on parole, worried him but knowing he was up in Cairns did give him some sort of relief. "Guess what?" he sighed.

"What?" smiled Leah, coming over and rubbing his face attempting to rub away the stress of whatever now was bothering him.

"Peter got bail, he's gone to Cairns." sighed Zac. 

Leah frowned, "I thought he'd be denied. Well maybe this is good, that he isn't in the bay. I am sorry baby, I know how much you wanted him to stay there." 

He wrapped his arms around her and buried his head in her hair, sniffing her scent. "It's alright, better that he isn't here. Hope he doesn't hurt anyone else undeserving of his stupidity." 

--------------

Peter smirked, it worked. He seemed to take it well, Peter went and got a new wig, and some raggy clothes, planning to be stupid obviously and fake kidnap Zac. He wanted him to pay badly. But his plan to end the games was ultimately decided how both of them decide to play it. If it works his way no one will pay the price and get to live.

----------

Zac was out hanging the washing, watching as Leah went back in for juice. A man snuck up behind him, and grabbed his mouth. "Scream, and I'll kill you." The dark voice teased. Forcing drugged water down his throat, Zac was dozy as he was shoved along the side of the house to the awaiting car.

Putting a bag over his head and dragged him into the car and drove him out of the town area, and tied his hands behind his back with cable ties. "Bye bye, Zachary." 

Zac wondered who it was, the bag was lifted off his face, and a man walked off. Zac was dizzy and tried to get his hands from behind his back. Looking around, he freaked. "What do you want with me?! What have I done to you?!"

The man turned, "Oh everything, you'll find out soon." 

Zac watched them as they drove off fast, he sighed and looked around and saw 'Welcome to Summer Bay' sign. What a long walk he had.

----------

Leah had brought out juice, and some food for her and Leah, and frowned when he wasn't there. It was however odd that he just went off and left, half way through washing. She sat down and began to read a book she decided to read. VJ came back with Charlie, and they grinned. "Mummy!" 

"Hey lovely! How was your day with VJ?" smiled Leah, putting her book down.

"It was great! We went to the park, and then we went and had ice cream, and then we went to the indoor playground somewhere!" bounced Charlie. Then held out a pink teddy bear. "I got this one for you, and I got a blue one for Daddy. Is he home?" 

"He was but he seemed to go out," sighed Leah and then noticed him, walking back towards the house, tired and drunk looking.

Zac wanted to go to sleep, he'd been trying to free his hands the entire time, and he was afraid, but tired. Zac wandered aimlessly over. "Daddy!"

Zac looked up, "Huh?" 

"I got this for you!" spoke Charlie handing up the bear. 

Zac looked over at Leah worried, "Leah.... I..." 

"VJ, can you take Charlie upstairs." spoke Leah.

VJ looked at Leah, then Zac and nodded and noticed his hands tied behind his back. "Sure..." 

Leah came over, "What's wrong?"

"I was hanging out the washing and some guy said he'd kill me if I screamed and tied me up and dumped me at the Summer Bay sign." He turned around to prove it. 

Leah gasped, "Oh Zac!" She rushed inside to grab scissors. She ran back outside and cut them off carefully, he had cuts along the sides of his wrists. "Let's get you cleaned up, and contact Kat."

"You believe me?" asked Zac.

"Well I don't know how you'd tie on cable ties yourself, and you look drunk." spoke Leah.

"He forced water down my throat and I fell asleep." sighed Zac

-------------

Peter watched from afar, smirking, "Until next time, Leah!"

Peter walked back inside heating up his noodles, taking off his outfit and dumping them in the fire he had set up outside his caravan. He watched as his informant came over.

"Do you have it?" asked Peter.

"Yes." sighed Ryan. "Why are you making me do this? Mum won't be pleased that I did this." 

"Have you done the other thing I requested?" asked Peter.

"Yep, did it this morning while leaving. Inspection tomorrow." glared Ryan. "I am not helping you no more. You are on your own." 

----------

So sorry for the delay. Working on a one-shot and busy watching 'The Conjuring & The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist' over and over! 

Mediocre post, but things to come! 

Story will probably be shorter than A Target for Love.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay.

Chapter Ten: Suspensions.

Ryan had gone back to the town he was now studying at, the police college. But he wasn't in the same unit as Hunter, but he knew which locker was his. He didn't want to put another cadet in trouble with the police, but he had too. For his mother's safety, he would have too. Slipping into work early the next morning. He slipped the package into Hunter's locker and then waited until Hunter arrived from his morning run and was in the staffroom before he would head to his locker. 

"Inspector, I think I saw Hunter stash some powder in his locker," whispered Ryan. The inspector nodded.

"King, open your locker." snapped the inspector. 

Hunter raised his eyes from his seat in the room, "Uh okay, why?" He said getting up walking to his locker, opening and watched the decent package fall out of his locker. Genuine shock evident on his face.

"Hey that's not mine!" snapped Hunter, "I'm being set up!" 

Ryan had disappeared back to his unit that was out patrol training today. 'Done' he sent that message to Peter.

-------

Zac stood in the kitchen the next morning, with a hell of a headache. He felt like he'd taken drugs. "Should drug test me," he spoke to Leah as she came down the stairs. 

Leah nodded, "Sounds like a good idea, how are you feeling today?" She walked over to him and gave him a kiss. 

He kissed back, "Like I've been hit by a bus." 

---------

The morning slowly passed for Hunter, sitting in his inspectors office with his sergeant. 

"You are a good potential constable, King, I expected better of you!" snapped Rhys, his sergeant.

Hunter always thought Michael Rhys was a prat, but he had been advancing quite well in his class, on his own stamina not drugs. "I swear I am telling the truth, I did not put it there, I do not take drugs. Drugs test me!" 

"We will be, and we will be standing you down for further investigation and your time in the academy may come to an end if a slight hint of drugs is detected in your system, or this turns out to be yours." Instructed Mitchells. "Right now, go  pee into this so we can get things moving and then pack up your stuff on the academy for now. Just a bag, and find a place to stay." 

Hunter obliged, taking the cup and doing the test. Returning it to them.

Hunter nodded to himself inside his small house,  packing up a bag and waiting for the next bus back to Summer Bay. At least he'd get more time with Charlie, but this wasn't fair. He finally found what he wanted to do to reform his bad reputation he had built for himself when he was messed up about Zac and Leah.

The bus came and he hopped on, "Summer Bay." He paid the fare and took a seat at the back, a frown on his face. He was really trying not to let the anger rile him up, that would be the last thing he'd need. 

----------

Zac had gone to the hospital to get a tox screen done, to see exactly what was put in his system, and to get the cuts cleaned properly. Nate sighed, "Happening again?" 

"But they didn't take me for days, it's strange timing. Peter made bail, but is in Cairns... apparently." He wondered if that was just a cover for him being closer than they think.

"He could be there, or he could be hiding somewhere closer." spoke Nate. "I'll keep an eye out for odd behaviour, if I was you." 

"We are, since the dead rat in the mail the other week," spoke Zac, "And the fake, implied cheating notes I'd been getting about Leah. It's just too much of a strange coincidences and I'm beginning to feel that same feeling of patterns that I had when I had PTSD." 

"That you will never fully get rid of, Zac, and it's fair enough when similar stuff is happening to what triggered it in the first place, just remember the steps, and you'll be fine," smiled Nate after sending off the results Zac waited patiently with Leah who had now joined them.

"Right, oxycontin, a big amount is in your system, explains why you have a killer headache and feel like you've been hit by a bus, definitely drugged." spoke Nate, after he reentered the room.

Zac sighed and rang Kat to report what had been revealed in his tox screen. 

---------

Once home Zac smiled, seeing Charlie at her dolls house, "What ya doing?" 

He rushed over and picked her up spinning her around hearing her scream and giggle. He hugged her too him. She put her head on his shoulder and looked up, a surprise gasp came out of her mouth.

"Hunter bear!!!!!!!!" she screamed tugging herself out of her dads grasp and ran towards the door.

"Hey silly rabbit!" He smiled, she made it all better. "Guess who's come home for a bit?!" 

Zac turned around, "I thought you didn't get holidays for awhile?" He wondered. 

"Someone is stitching me up, for drugs," growled Hunter, "But I've been suspended pending further investigation, I didn't do it dad." 

Leah looked to Zac, "What drug?" 

"Oxycontin powder," sighed Hunter.

"Now that's a coincidence." snapped Zac.

Hunter looked up as he bounced his baby sister in his arms. "Zac was drugged and taken for a fake kidnapping ride to the end of Summer Bay... with Oxycontin." 

---------------------

Are they drawing closer into that it could be Peter? Hunter's back!! :D 

So sorry for the delay... Haven't been feeling Home and Away lately, haven't really been watching it either. But alas, I'm back now! :wub: 

Archived