The Early Years: Ups and Downs so far

Skylover

1994 has seen me become way more interested in the early years again after losing interest rapidly for the last couple of years. I loved 1988 and 1989 because we had loads of brilliant, comedic characters like Celia, and Lance and Martin but the tone changed in 1990 when we began to lose a lot of originals. It was still a great year (1990), Blake and Karen were strong characters, as were Haydn and Sophie, but there was suddenly a lot to dislike in 1991 and 1992 - the Greg/Bobby/Sam trio never interested me that much, and I don't understand the hype surrounding Meg/Blake, I thought that was a weak storyline because the kids hadn't known each other long enough to build a believable bond. The Nick/Lucinda/Ryan love triangle seemed to be a constant merry-go-round which, as well as the Meg saga, brought down 1992 for me.

1991 and 1992 are the weakest points in the repeats so far IMO, however Karen and Revhead were the highlight of this era.

1993 saw a massive improvement - Shane's escapades, the arrival of Angel, Sarah and Tug, the general feeling was a lot better. There were still some poor moments like Greg's affair and him leaving Sam.

1994 and we have an excellent dynamic with the teens, Michael and Pippa are beginning to really hit their stride, after taking a while to settle in and the community feel is back in force, which in some ways had been missing since 1990.

Disagree about 1991.

It was sort in the way the end of the 80s if you put it. Pip remarrying, Carly and Ben moving out, Floss and Neville's van being removed from the Park, Stevo heading off to Uni. I can understand how 1991 might Grate as it was pretty much a Sophie Year (She wouldn't get really annoying until the next year)

1992 was decent but there ploddy patches thanks to the most Boring couple ever cooked up Nick and Lou, Thank god for Ryan!

On March 30, 2016 at 2:56 AM, Edward Skylover said:

1994 has seen me become way more interested in the early years again after losing interest rapidly for the last couple of years. I loved 1988 and 1989 because we had loads of brilliant, comedic characters like Celia, and Lance and Martin but the tone changed in 1990 when we began to lose a lot of originals. It was still a great year (1990), Blake and Karen were strong characters, as were Haydn and Sophie, but there was suddenly a lot to dislike in 1991 and 1992 - the Greg/Bobby/Sam trio never interested me that much, and I don't understand the hype surrounding Meg/Blake, I thought that was a weak storyline because the kids hadn't known each other long enough to build a believable bond. The Nick/Lucinda/Ryan love triangle seemed to be a constant merry-go-round which, as well as the Meg saga, brought down 1992 for me.

1991 and 1992 are the weakest points in the repeats so far IMO, however Karen and Revhead were the highlight of this era.

1993 saw a massive improvement - Shane's escapades, the arrival of Angel, Sarah and Tug, the general feeling was a lot better. There were still some poor moments like Greg's affair and him leaving Sam.

1994 and we have an excellent dynamic with the teens, Michael and Pippa are beginning to really hit their stride, after taking a while to settle in and the community feel is back in force, which in some ways had been missing since 1990.

I honestly could not disagree with a single point you've made although I did enjoy the Meg and Blake stuff due to the acting I have to agree with your point. I also think the introduction of Irene on a permanent basis was a good move done at the right time and the introduction of her kids especially Damien I loved the stuff with him and Shane. Nathan was also a good introduction on a guest basis.

1 hour ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

From Frobby (Frank and Bobby) to Blophie (Blake and Sophie), Bleg (Blake and Meg) to Shangel (Shane and Angel), it has been nice to revisit these young romances of the H&A early years.

Oh my God, you're amazing :D

'Frobby'. What about Jippa (Jack and Pippa)?

I often wonder what it would be like if 1988-2000 when H&A was on, if people can up with names like Fleville for Floss and Neville etc, shipping names. In 1995 when I was 13, no one ever said Shangel for Shane and Angel. I think Shannis and Zonnis in EastEnders started the shipping names craze.

I am glad they have re shown the early years and hope they carry on up to past 2000.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2016 at 8:12 PM, SunnyG12 said:

It sure has. The Early Years are written so much better too. Storylines are fleshed out, and reasons are given. Completely different to nowadays. 

I watch both shows-the Early Years and the current show. While I'm mostly enjoying the current show I LOVE the Early Years because the story lines are written better  and conflicts not solved in one week :P TEY has it weak and strong moments.

Archived