1995 Episode Discussion

Dan F

I think the new theme sounds strange with the 95 opening credits, it's much more suited to the credits from 96 onwards. I'll be kinda sad when the original theme comes to an end, I'm just so used to hearing it.

I watched Shane and Angel's wedding again earlier, brought a tear to my eye I have to say

^_^ Must be one of the best weddings

Roll on tomorrow's episode.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

I think the new theme sounds strange with the 95 opening credits, it's much more suited to the credits from 96 onwards. I'll be kinda sad when the original theme comes to an end, I'm just so used to hearing it

I hated the new theme when it was first introduced, it took me about two years to start appreciating it. The first time I heard it I thought the female vocals sounded out of tune/flat in places and I just completely preferred the original. I still do to be honest, I prefer the laid back sound of the original and really love the emotional aspect of it with those harmonious strings and the plucked guitar.

I'll definitely be keeping my ear out in this season for that echoey alternative version of the theme that was used only very occasionally and completely scrapped by 1996. The second them gives a very tropical feel to palm beach and always makes me feel warm. I wonder why the had that slightly different version to start with though. Couldn't they make up their minds? 

Something baffling about the episode I just watched.

When Jack and Curtis go to the store to collect the newspapers they mention they're already an hour late, so given they were planning on delivering the newspapers at 6:30 it would be 7:30 by this point. The store is seemingly not open yet as there is no Alf or anyone else around and Jack and Curtis wouldn't be able to man the store whilst delivering newspapers.

Therefore how did Don previously go to the store in the morning and get home by 6.30 to read his newspaper with his breakfast?

Is it ever mentioned what the opening hours of the store and the diner are?

It amazes me how often people have time to go to the store or diner after several evening activities and at the same time its amazing how much time people often have left in the evening after the store and diner are closed.

27 minutes ago, Edward Skylover said:

Is this a version of the original theme? I don't recall it. Sounds interesting though.

Yeah, as I mentioned in the preview article, it was an alternate cut of the 1995 theme used only occasionally - with more reverb on the vocals and a different saxophone arrangement (I certainly preferred the sax on it). It's the version they used during the montage in Episode 4000.

I think it tended to pop up on Friday episodes.

Edit: Posted at the same time, though I should point out it was used interchangeably with the standard version, as opposed to being a first version which was later replaced

Ah sorry, I read the preview article but that must have passed me by! Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I love the 1995 opening titles. Jack, Curtis and Sally all look so much more mature/older than they do in the actual show. Sally just looks incredibly grown up.

For those who were asking, I've had a look and the Diner paintjob debuts in Episode 1726

Spoiler

(the episode after Marilyn opens her salon)

47 minutes ago, Edward Skylover said:

I read the preview

I think you're the only person so far to mention that they have! :P

I might just stick with the key dates next year (touch wood that they're still airing).

12 hours ago, Dan F said:

I think you're the only person so far to mention that they have! :P

I might just stick with the key dates next year (touch wood that they're still airing).

I appreciate all of the effort that would go in to that and it looks very glossy and informative, but this year I've decided not to read any of the spoilers or key dates because I want to watch it all without knowing the time frame of what's to come and when certain stories happen etc.

Archived