Did the aging of Duncan give the Stewart family a new lease of life?

beau_t

• 3 weeks later...

I think it gave a new lease of life to Alf and Ailsa

I think it's a shame Pippa left before we could see Christopher Fletcher in his teenage years. When he returned in 2003, it would have been a good opportunity to make him a regular, especially as Chris Egan left around that time. He could have lived on with Sally and Flynn, but the writers would have to come up with a good reason as to why Chris was there and not with Pippa. I don't think Home and Away was ready for a regular gay character at that time though (and still isn't, apparently!)

7 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

But I think the problem if Pippa had stayed would be she would just go from husband to husband .

Yeah, they'd run out of things to do with Pippa outside of fostering,  much like with Irene. They'd developed her career, had her loved and lost over and over and they'd had her in hospital. I think the only thing that could have been fresh and work well was for Pippa to be diagnosed with breast cancer, so we'd have seen her cope with finding the lump, being tested and the struggling with the diagnosis/telling others. They'd then have had DoCS having to assess whether she was still fit to keep the foster kids on. They'd have really needed to commit to the story though and show the ongoing treatment/effects, obviously with her winning the battle though.

2 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

Artificial ageing seems to be a common problem in the soap world. They even made up a term for it. "SORAS" or "soap opera rapid ageing syndrome" like they think we audiences wouldn't notice them ageing.

You do make me laugh Old Handa Fan :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2016 at 7:20 AM, adam436 said:

I think it gave a new lease of life to Alf and Ailsa

I think it's a shame Pippa left before we could see Christopher Fletcher in his teenage years. When he returned in 2003, it would have been a good opportunity to make him a regular, especially as Chris Egan left around that time. He could have lived on with Sally and Flynn, but the writers would have to come up with a good reason as to why Chris was there and not with Pippa. I don't think Home and Away was ready for a regular gay character at that time though (and still isn't, apparently!)

Well, the fact that Ian couldn't really handle Chris being gay was discussed and could have worked and rather than have tension at home, Chris stay for a bit and it become permanent after a while. 

It took as late as 1997 for them to actually acknowledge someone as being gay (Peter Fraser, James and Lachie's dad, Olivia's grandfather).

Neighbours even beat them to the post in 1994 with Andrew MacKenzie and Alf Taylor (though the latter didn't come out until the following year). Then again they were guests but still.

Though some people were a little skeptical of Lance and Marty! :lol:

Archived