Home and Away ITV airings

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

I always thought it was pretty appalling that ITV cut the closing credits to about 5 seconds. I was never sure if they were legally obliged to do it (on imported series), in order to meet broadcasting regulations, or they did it because they could, in order to fit in more adverts and trailers. Either way, it did nothing to improve the popularity of the show.

I remember they even cut the opening credits to a couple of seconds (on several occasions), back in the days when they used to be full length. I only saw this happen a handful of times though.

I think it was probably to give them more time for adverts.I say this because in the mid 90's i used to watch the repeats of Airwolf and Knight Rider and they sometimes cut out the credits.I think it was a bit of an insult to the programme makers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, Gerard said:

The even altered the closing credits in 1994 to remove the shot of the guy at the end having a shower (wearing shorts). That was not long before they cut the closing credits down to a few seconds.

I thought that ITV started cutting the credits during the 1993 season(when they were on that style with the red background).     I've got a few episodes from that era on tape(presumably shown during the first half of 1994) and they have the end credits cut.  

I have also got at least one 1994 episode recorded from ITV and over the bit of the credits they do show, there is a shot of either a tide or a sunset(can't remember exactly which) 

A couple of questions I do have if anyone is able to help,  firstly I'd be interested to find out, did that shopping centre abduction episode from 1998 get aired by Living or had they taken the series off the air by this point? 

In addition I'd also be interested to find out,  was it common for some reasons to cut out the Seven Network logo at the end?   I'm pretty sure that at one point, my region(HTV West) removed it.  It was during the 1996-1999 style and I'm pretty sure they either froze on the shot of the copyright date and the H&A logo on the sign or cut to their own logo.   Around the same time they used to remove the Seven Logo and character disclaimer at the end of A Country Practice.

I have, however got recordings of a few late 1999 episodes and early-mid 2000 episodes from this era which DO have the Seven logo.   These are taped from HTV Wales.   Would HTV West have maybe edited this logo out whilst HTV Wales left them in or is it more likely that all regions edited the logo out for a time but eventually reinstated it?

2 hours ago, Martin2013 said:

I thought that ITV started cutting the credits during the 1993 season(when they were on that style with the red background).     I've got a few episodes from that era on tape(presumably shown during the first half of 1994) and they have the end credits cut.  

I have also got at least one 1994 episode recorded from ITV and over the bit of the credits they do show, there is a shot of either a tide or a sunset(can't remember exactly which)
A couple of questions I do have if anyone is able to help,  firstly I'd be interested to find out, did that shopping centre abduction episode from 1998 get aired by Living or had they taken the series off the air by this point? 

In addition I'd also be interested to find out,  was it common for some reasons to cut out the Seven Network logo at the end?

Yes, if I remember correctly ITV started to cut the end credits during the 1993 season. I think the 1994 episode with the sunset shot was the version they edited to remove the guy under the shower. If I'm remembering it correctly, the sunset was actually the first shot of the full closing credits, and it was just pasted in to cover up that bit.

I can't remember if the abduction episode was ever seen on Living, but I know RTE in Ireland showed it, and the school seige episode uncut. I have a suspicion that Living may have shown it, and possibly may even have brought one or other episode to the attention of viewers.

It's possible the Seven Network Logo was cut. Perhaps for timing reasons or maybe sloppy editing where it may have mixed to the ITV company logo.

Hi Gerard.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

I did wonder why ITV used that sunset shot at the end of the 1994 episodes when it was the first shot on the full closing credits so am glad that now know the reason why.

In terms of the abduction episode, I remember once being told that Living stopped showing H&A during the 1998 season around the time of Kylie's death. Did the abduction episode come before this storyline or afterwards?

In terms of the Seven logo, I have a 2000 episode (I think one of the last ones to be shown on ITV) where it cuts from the H&A logo to an HTV Presentation caption and you hear the first note of the Seven jingle over the top.   

I'm aware that on the 1996-1999 episodes, ITV cut the credits to just show the surfers walking past the sign with the H&A logo, with the last couple of bars playing in the background. However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that during 1999, the credits got altered in Australia so the music finished earlier and no longer fitted with that shot- although ITV simply recycled the earlier style.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Also, would I be right in thinking there was a 3rd episode that got dropped by ITV concerning Duncan making a bomb? Or was this episode simply edited rather than dropped completely.

I think the bomb episode was just edited. However there was another episode that ITV never showed in 1998 that living eventually showed. At least in my region anyway. It was the football World Cup and a match ran over 17:05. It was involving Lachie's aneurism. They just skipped and showed the next episode with him in a coma.  I even rang itv but the refused to show it. 

Oh and the abduction episode was before Kylies death as she made a guest appearance in it. Now she was an underrated character wasn't she. Great actress. 

I don't remember an episode being skipped in that storyline. I assume it was shown at lunchtime and it was just the repeat that was lost? Possibly I either saw it then or it was still being shown at 18:00 in my region then.

I really can't remember them cutting credits prior to the 1995 season but that might just be my brain going wonky.

3 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Oh and the abduction episode was before Kylies death as she made a guest appearance in it. Now she was an underrated character wasn't she. Great actress. 

Yeah, I liked Kylie. I thought she was en-route to becoming a main character but then she was suddenly written out and killed off-screen.

Archived