Home and Away ITV airings

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the huge Home and Away title on the sand , with arrow on side going into the sea. Almost like a "Welcome to Las Vegas" in bright neon lights sign. Must have been 2000/2001/2002.

Didn't they use freeze frames at end of show? Also just after fade to black for advert, the title "Home and Away" would appear, they don't do that nowadays.

It was 1996-99 with that neon sign and the last Freeze frame I remember was 1999. I think it sort of coincide with an end of a decade/century as it was phased out from 2000 onwards.

ITV were butchers when it came to this show and I'm glad it's no longer on that channel. Yes, it was the first UK home (ala BBC1 and Neighbours) but they treated H&A appallingly toward the end of the run and rejigging of schedules (Hacking off the Friday episode entirely).

I remember when Robert Perez kidnapped Gypsy,that week was very strangely edited.When the episode where she's actually kidnapped ended it showed Robert's car driving off and then a fade out.But this was when the show still ended on freeze frames so something was missing.Also i read somewhere that Robert actually digs Gypsy's grave and makes her watch so this was missing as well.I'd love to know what other scenes were missing from this storyline.

7 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

No, I remember we saw that.That whole storyline was a bit confusing with most of it shown in flashback after a time skip.

Okay thanks for that info Red Ranger 1,i suppose that's why i found that storyline a bit hard to follow.

I'd read the soap mags so I knew it was coming, but it was one of those occasions where in Australia the show was off air for six weeks, whereas for us it was the next day, or at least the other side of the weekend, and we had an ITV continuity announcer desperately trying to explain that it was six weeks later and some stuff had happened.("Gypsy was kidnapped by Robert but has been rescued but he's still out there, James and Chloe are together and Natalie looks a bit different.")

ITV, especially in the late 1990's used to make cuts to Home and Away on an almost daily basis. Sometimes it was only a few words from a scene, other times parts fo major storylines would go missing. This usually coincided with when the most dramatic or controversial scenes.This was to meet their broadcasting standards for general family viewing, although some of the cuts were ridiculous.

Among the major edits were to the following storylines: Sam ram-raiding, siege at the school, Chloe being kidnapped by psycho Brad (end of year cliffhanger).The even altered the closing credits in 1994 to remove the shot of the guy at the end having a shower (wearing shorts). That was not long before they cut the closing credits down to a few seconds.

If you do some searching, you can can still find the old censorship reports from the late 1990s. E.g. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.home-and-away/3ARaqbDFi-E (you might need to click the "Censorship report for episode..." hyperlink to see all the details).

Archived