Dan Bennett quits

JamesC10

3 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

This is somewhat worrying.It's hard to shake the suspicion that his attempts to bring the show closer to what he thought Home and Away should be weren't entirely in line with other people's idea of what the show should be like.If that's the case, then the show could change without him around and not for the better.

Exactly my thoughts. I had really given up all hope for the show until around 6 weeks into Dan's material in 2015. The show does feel like its old self again now, but there was still more to do in 2016 which I had hoped Dan would continue to oversea.

Hopefully this hasn't ended the way we're all guessing it has done, and hopefully they'll recruit a new Series Script Executive who is equally passionate about Home and Away, and not Underbelly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I noticed during Dan's tenure was the return of some emotive incidental music that seemed to hark back to music from earlier years of the show. No doubt Lucy hates it and if she remains in her post (seriously, isn't 4 years enough?) then we'll go back to the awful harsh music in between scenes to create more angst. 

Until Dan came along it was clear no one understood the show and how to write for it properly. I seriously hope, for the show's very future, that we get a brand new team drafted in who are inspired to write and produce real, human stories of a community who live in a little seaside town. 

2 hours ago, cadyctslover said:

Exactly my thoughts. I had really given up all hope for the show until around 6 weeks into Dan's material in 2015. The show does feel like its old self again now, but there was still more to do in 2016 which I had hoped Dan would continue to oversea.

It really was feeling the most like 'H&A' than it has in literally years. He reintroduced the more meaningful character driven storylines that genuinely provoked an emotional response from me that I hadn't felt whilst watching the show in such a long time.

Everything from Roo's storyline to Andy and Josh's storyline (I actually got goosebumps during one of their scenes because it was weighted, emotional and realistic). And then of course Irene's recent storyline and Marilyn's departure. All very Home and Away and huge positive steps in the right direction. A stark contrast to the meaningless, boring nonsense they've repetitively churned out over the past few years.

1 hour ago, alexx said:

It really was feeling the most like 'H&A' than it has in literally years. He reintroduced the more meaningful character driven storylines that genuinely provoked an emotional response from me that I hadn't felt whilst watching the show in such a long time.

Everything from Roo's storyline to Andy and Josh's storyline (I actually got goosebumps during one of their scenes because it was weighted, emotional and realistic). And then of course Irene's recent storyline and Marilyn's departure. All very Home and Away and huge positive steps in the right direction. A stark contrast to the meaningless, boring nonsense they've repetitively churned out over the past few years.

I'm crossing everything crossable that the 7 network see the good work he has done and recruit a team who can build on it. 

7 hours ago, cadyctslover said:

Hopefully this hasn't ended the way we're all guessing it has done, and hopefully they'll recruit a new Series Script Executive who is equally passionate about Home and Away, and not Underbelly.

The ironic thing is what Dan's tried to take Home and Away away from is what he was hired by Channel Ten to do to Neighbours and the show took years to recover from after the revamp to fix that failed.

Archived